Advice for my mum

Hi all,
I don't know if anyone can help or advise.
My dad who is 67 received a hefty compensation claim about 15 years ago, basically the hospital were negligent during a bypass operation and he ended up losing both his legs, which obviously means that he is now disabled. Since then his health has deteriorated and now has vascular dementia. Now because my mum still has this money in the bank, she cannot receive any government help to care for my dad. She doesn't want to use the money at this stage as dad isn't to the stage of needing round the clock care, but does need some help every now and again, and will need the money for possibly a home for him in time. How can she receive help from the government without paying out???

Thank you in advance,

Caz

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My dad who is 67 received a hefty compensation claim about 15 years ago, basically the hospital were negligent during a bypass operation and he ended up losing both his legs, which obviously means that he is now disabled. Since then his health has deteriorated and now has vascular dementia. Now because my mum still has this money in the bank, she cannot receive any government help to care for my dad. She doesn't want to use the money at this stage as dad isn't to the stage of needing round the clock care, but does need some help every now and again, and will need the money for possibly a home for him in time.

How can she receive help from the government without paying out???

How can they get means tested benefits when they have plenty of capital? They can't!

The money was compensation for his injuries - his poor health means that he needs assistance so spend the money on getting it.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    That's what the compensation is for - for future needs as well as compensation for what happened to him.
    Why would she not use it?
    If someone has power of attorney over his finances they are obligated to act in his best interests. Putting support in to help him at home would seem to fall within that.

The only other option is to request a Continuing Health Card assessment to see if he has any nursing needs. This would not apply to social care/personal care though.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Why doesn't she want to use the money to help him? Surely she wants to make life as comfortable as possible for your dad. If this means spending some of the money, then that is what she should do.
  • Secretsusie
    Secretsusie Posts: 103
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Does your dad get attendance allowance? If not could he claim that. Then it might be possible for your mum to claim carers allowance for looking after him, depending on her age, (you cant get it if getting state pension)
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sorry, why should she receive taxpayers money to provide for your father's needs? That is what the compensation is for - not to provide a healthy bank balance for her in the event he passes away. It's for his care. not hers.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Now because my mum still has this money in the bank, she cannot receive any government help to care for my dad.
    Attendance Allowance is not means tested.
    Neither is Carers Allowance (should she be of working age).

How can she receive help from the government without paying out???

The "hefty" compensation payment was to take care of this situation.
    She should use this money to provide for his current care needs.
    Your post rather gives the impression that you and your mother are more concerned to maximise any inheritance by trying to find ways to fraudulently claim benefits.
    "How can she receive help from the government without paying out???" - Dear, oh dear. What a selfish question .
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,869
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If he only needs help now and again why does she need 'governmnet help to care for him'?

He might never need round the clock care or need to go into a home.

If he does then if the money has been used up he will then get help.

If it is a sizeable amount then there could be plenty to use to pay for any care he needs.
  • What do you want us to say?

That the tax payer should definitely step up and pay for everything to preserve the bank balance for your inheritance?

Your father needs assistance - you have the means to provide that assistance.

Why should others with less than your family has have their taxes spent to support your family because you don't want to spend your own money?

Genuinely, I'd love to know why you feel that is acceptable.
  • kazzah
    kazzah Posts: 460
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The compensation would have included a LARGE amount of funds for "future care needs" - which is what your father needs NOW - any Attendance Allowance or PIP paid to him should have been repaid by the NHS Trust as part of his compensation.
    Use the money for it's intended purpose and worry about the "future" when it happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure