Tesco 'Clubcard Prices' promo to discount up to 200 items - but do the deals stack up? - MSE News

Tesco's Clubcard Prices promo, first revealed by MoneySavingExpert.com last week, will give members of the supermarket's loyalty scheme discounts of between 15% and 50% in many stores, with a total of nearly 200 items set to be reduced...
Read the full story:
'Tesco 'Clubcard Prices' promo to discount up to 200 items - but do the deals stack up?'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 3 May 2019 at 7:52AM
    Why is there yet another topic posted by MSE staff on this subject?

For one thing "yeah we get the message" and secondly, Tesco are so expensive on so many items that even if discounted they are still not the cheapest. It is easy to compare the supermarket prices on items (eg mysupermarket.co.uk ).

If Tesco simply offered vouchers for "spend £20 and get £5 back" across their range then it would get the savvy shoppers in their stores. We have been stung too many times with price hikes and then "reductions" that aren't to take a supermarket at their word when some of them have little credibility for honesty with pricing.

Rather than appearing to be an advert for Tesco, as per article above, and also only showing a tiny amount of discounted items, it would be better if you'd waited to show all the items and their new price; it would also be highly helpful if the stores not participating were shown - as otherwise many customers will end up either being ripped off at the tills or simply refusing to pay at the checkout and walking out leaving their items.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So, have I got this right ?

You don't know which stores are particpating and even if you did, you don't know which items will be discounted until you get to the till.

Will they leave the light on so you can see what you're not doing ?

What a fiasco. :rotfl:
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This promotion sounds like the Waitrose 'choose your own' deals. Which I loathed.

People. Do. Not. Want. Their. Shopping. Trip. Made. More. Complicated!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    VT82 wrote: »
    This promotion sounds like the Waitrose 'choose your own' deals. Which I loathed.

People. Do. Not. Want. Their. Shopping. Trip. Made. More. Complicated!

Precisely.

One of the main reasons we switched to, and stayed with, Aldi and Lidl was the simplicity. Very low prices, all the time, no need to hunt out special offers to get a good price, no need to pick and choose amongst 6 brands of near-identical product - quick, simple and easy shopping.

Brands are a con, and that applies to Tesco too. Most foods come from a limited range of suppliers, the variations in specification aren't huge, and the main distinguishing feature (ignoring the emperor's clothes factor) is simply the price.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 May 2019 at 11:49AM
    You can bet that what you want to buy isn't discounted !!

I use my Tesco Current Account Visa card, because you get more Clubcard points, but is that included in the offer?

UPDATE Just rung Clubcard. Firstly I am told the prices are on the shelves, ie normal price and Clubcard price (where eligible!). Secondly the Current Account card is valid for the promotion.
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Doc_N wrote: »
    One of the main reasons we switched to, and stayed with, Aldi and Lidl was the simplicity. Very low prices, all the time, no need to hunt out special offers to get a good price, no need to pick and choose amongst 6 brands of near-identical product - quick, simple and easy shopping.
    Same here. Whenever I need to do a decent sized grocery shop anywhere other than Aldi, I get a red mist descend that used to be reserved solely for family trips to IKEA.
  • Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's another of those things that seems as clear as mud.......wait till you come up with the new Nectar at Sainsbury - that pushed me more through Aldi's door and on occasion Tesco and Morrison door.

Aldi and Lidl get it in one the others don't grasp it !!

I do not want to be forced into buying 2 pots of yoghurt for £3 - or pay a stupidly high price for one. If these supermarkets want to make a difference to there customer base,stop pushing the buying two madness.

Aldi and Lidl all the way
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can bet that what you want to buy isn't discounted !!

I use my Tesco Current Account Visa card, because you get more Clubcard points, but is that included in the offer?

UPDATE Just rung Clubcard. Firstly I am told the prices are on the shelves, ie normal price and Clubcard price (where eligible!). Secondly the Current Account card is valid for the promotion.

Normal price on the shelf. (i.e. Nescafe Espresso marked at 4.49, Ketchup 1.20)
    The coffee Clubcard Price Discount 2.25 printed on the store till receipt. (therefore 2.24)
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I was in my store earlier this afternoon. Just the normal prices on the shelves, with some 'offers' eg BOGOReduced ! Saw nothing specifically for Clubcard holders.

As there was nothing I specifically wanted I didn't buy anything to see if there was price reduction on the receipt.
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yet another unnecessary complication from Tesco, making you go through yet more hoops to get a fair price.

You'd have thought that they'd have learned by now!

Aldi/Lidl: constant, simple low prices.

Tesco: high prices, with the occasional ones matching Aldi/Lidl, but only if you work for them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure