Unable to switch as electric meter is shown as Commercial/business

Hi,
Don't expect that many people will have this problem but I'm not sure how or if it will get solved.
I'm approaching the end of my current dual fuel deal(my current supplier are tonik energy who've been great) so I did a comparison on-line and found a deal which would have been a bit cheaper and pressed the button to switch - no problem. A few days later I received an update to my swich request saying that it could not be progressed as my electricity meter is showing on the industry database as a commercial/business meter. It went on to say that if that was incorrect(which it is) that I should contact my supplier and ask them to update the database to reflect my actual meter type. I've actually done that but haven't yet had any response from tonik.
As it stands my current deal ends in c4 weeks time and I may not be able to switch supplier due to a data error.
Al

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Switch OIL or LPG or Other ??

The LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels Board
  • Gas and Electricity
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This is as it says .
    Try posting in the
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    techno1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Don't expect that many people will have this problem but I'm not sure how or if it will get solved.
    I'm approaching the end of my current dual fuel deal(my current supplier are tonik energy who've been great) so I did a comparison on-line and found a deal which would have been a bit cheaper and pressed the button to switch - no problem. A few days later I received an update to my swich request saying that it could not be progressed as my electricity meter is showing on the industry database as a commercial/business meter. It went on to say that if that was incorrect(which it is) that I should contact my supplier and ask them to update the database to reflect my actual meter type. I've actually done that but haven't yet had any response from tonik.
    As it stands my current deal ends in c4 weeks time and I may not be able to switch supplier due to a data error.
    Al

Contact your supplier and ask them to confirm they have corrected the database as you requested :)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 April 2019 at 8:09PM
    1) as advised above, this is the The LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels Board and your issue relates to mains gas and electicity.

2) if your meter is wrongly designated, you need to get it re-designated by the current supplier. If you have contacted your current supplier without a satisfactory response, you need to escalate the matter via their published internal complaints procedure.

3) If you escalated the matter via their published internal complaints procedure, without a satisfactory response, you need to escalate the matter to the regulator OFGEM.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure