Mastervolt Sunmaster XS3200 failure

Options
Yesterday, when recording the day's figures, I noticed that the output from System 1 was about half of what I expected. Today I've kept watch on the generation from the inverter and noted that the output falls to zero for brief periods and then recovers again. This is happening both in bright and shaded conditions.

The error light flashes and the error code says HW FAIL 3. Checking on the internet, this seems to be a relatively common problem and most people are saying that the Sunmaster series is rubbish. They say it's not worth repairing. It probably isn't worth having it repaired, but I'm quite capable and competent to work on the inverter in my workshop. Has anyone had any experience of this problem and its cure?

If I can't find the fault I will have to buy a new inverter. Whilst the XS3200 has only a single MPPT, I'll be looking for a dual MPPT unit as I have quite serious shading on one of the two strings which feed the inverter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave F
Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
EV car, PodPoint charger
Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021

Comments

• theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Dave, no help at all fixing the Mastervolt, but I've still got my Schuco branded Sunnyboy 3300 in the garage, unused after swapping it out for Solaredge.
    Nothing wrong with it apart from being chuffin heavy!!

PM me if you want to talk turkey?
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Dave_Fowler
    Options
    Just received a new Solax 3kW inverter and fitted it. All is working again now.

I calculate I lost 18kWh production whilst the inverter was faulty (comparing what was generated after system 1 became faulty with what was generated on system 2). This was over a period of 12 days. It's just as well it happened in mid-winter and not summer when I could have lost 18kWh per day.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure