Sort of debt-free but hope to be a super-scrimper in 2019

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,130 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    Have been waiting for this for a long time :D
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Happy New Diary and Happy New Year CBC :D

I've enjoyed reading your helpful and supportive posts on other diary's and admire the way you take life in your stride. It's been a roller coaster for you and hopefully the fun can now begin, :)

Subscribing
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Way hey CBC:j:j

Great to see you with your very own diary. :D

I shall be following and cheering you on. You have always been so positive and encouraging on the make £10 a day thread. I love your positive can do attitude and hope things happen for you.

Mare
    XX
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Hello cbc - hope you don't mind my following you over from HH's diary.

You have obviously come a really long way too, and look forward to starting a whole new, possibly exciting, way of life.

I guess the biggest thing is to have got out of debt without ever revealing you got into it. It's a shame you felt you could not share this awful burden with your OH, but it must be an unbelievably massive weight lifted from you to be where you are now.
    I look forward to seeing how your goals pan out over the coming year, and forgive me if I witter on a bit on YOUR diary !!!
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Have subscribed CB. Hope you get those f&fs soon.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Hi CBC,
    Welcome to diaryland...ignore any obtuse posters aka number 12..
    You are fabulous and have done so well. I hope you still visit me!

Happy New Year. Xxx

Love puzz. Xx
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • As a reader of many diaries but a rare poster I love your posts - always supportive and full of wisdom!

I have subscribed and look forward to following your journey and gaining those final F&D's and to learning how to be a superscrimper!

Wishing you a very happy 2019 xx
  • MrsCautious
    MrsCautious Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Good luck with your diary - what an achievement to have cleared the amount of debt that you have, like others here I’ve seen how wonderfully supportive you are in posts elsewhere. I hope you enjoy sharing your journey and hope to pop in and cheer you on!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 2 January 2019 at 7:28AM
    Hi
    Sorry carboot don’t think you can really complain about the amount of interest you have been charged
    You admit you had a good job.Bought things without worrying about the price
    Nobody forced you to buy the things you “acquired”

You had the pleasure of all these things over many years

Now late but you have realised nothing comes free
    Good luck in your debt free journey
    Your husband is also partly to blame.He also would have received the benefit of what you bought
    So some of it should be his debt.
    If he hadn’t been so tight and gone half on purchases you wouldn’t be so much in debt
    You paid half the bills so why wouldn’t he pay half towards your purchases

I read your post with interest because among all the welcoming and supportive ones it struck the only discordant note. However, I did say at the outset that I welcome advice and as I see it a major benefit of a diary is to learn from constructive criticism. I did feel though that your tone was somewhat censorious. While I would not normally bother to respond it might be useful to address some of your points in case other readers feel the same as you do. Always good to put the record straight and clear things up from the outset:j.

I agree absolutely about no one forced me to buy things, it was my choice and I paid for it in more ways than one:eek:. I do need to point out, without trying to make excuses, that acquiring and surrounding myself with, for the most part, mountains of unnecessary 'stuff' was symptomatic of underlying psychological issues that I really don't want to address in this post or probably ever in my diary. As for having the benefit of enjoying a lot of my purchases you couldn't be further from the truth. Once the bags/boxes were brought home or delivered I often never opened them. The vast amount of still sealed items I've discovered when sorting out the loft or shed beggars belief. I hadn't a clue I had them never mind why.

As far as interest goes I agree that I knew by spending on credit I would have that added. But I do feel that the credit card companies have something to answer for when they have a customer (me) who has reached the credit limit of, say, £15000 on a particular card, had been repaying just the minimum every month for some time, sometimes the added interest without spending anything extra on the card taking the balance over limit (with extra charges for the privilege !) and they then increased the credit limit by another £2000 without being asked to.

You might say, why not refuse it but to some people such as me it would be a lifeline and it would be impossible to politely refuse rather than grabbing it with both hands. It's very interesting that lenders are now addressing the whole issue of debt and people's mental health, thanks in no small measure to the sterling work done by Martin Lewis:A on the subject. Also, in recent months I received 3 unsolicited sums of money from Lloyds who wrote to say that after reviewing how they treated people in financial difficulties they admitted they didn't treat them fairly at the time. I was just one of many to receive unfair charges and interest fees back and I know some other big financial institutions did the same.

Unlike yourself, I really don't feel OH is even partly to blame for my debts. We split resonsibilty for household expenses and joint purchases 50/50 and over all it has worked pretty well. When our previous cooker 'died' I was the one responsible for choosing and buying the new one. It was my own fault I felt I had to go for one with all the bells and whistles when a basic one would do. Not to show off, hardly anyone but OH and I ever saw it or knew of it, but I thought, erroneously, that it would be more useful etc. I'm the only one of the two of us to use it so it was my choice entirely. Sadly, upgrades cost:( . Similarly, as OH is solely responsible for the gardening and outdoor stuff (we have about half an acre) it's his responsibility to buy any tools and machinery that he needs. When he bought the last mower it was totally his choice and financial responsibility whether he bought a ride-on model for several thousands or a basic push petrol mower. Needless to say, being the canny spender that he is, the cheaper version won the day.

You said he received the benefit of what I bought and that's true but by the same token I got the benefit from items he bought if they were of use to both of us like household appliances. For instance, I cooked and he did the gardening using equipment that we chose ourself. Swings and roundabouts, if you see what I mean (probably the only unnecessary things I never bought:rotfl:). The main source of my debt was purchases of years of unnecessary things that he neither used or saw and, as I said before, neither did I most of the time:o. Why should he be expected to pay for things such as masses of the 'latest thing' (invariably eye-wateringly expensive) in cosmetics (enough to last for several lifetimes)? The list of items of all kinds not just cosmetics is endless and I'm too embarrassed to say any more:o

I planned to add just a short response to your post but have gone on a bit instead of what I really wanted to say in my 2nd big post which was my plans for adding to my savings and the reasons I want to have them. Will save that for another time. I'm pleased though that I bothered to explain the situation as it has given me pause for yet more thought and I feel better for trying to rationalise what has always been a difficult issue for me to cope with. I keep my cards very close to my chest in real life, find it immensely difficult if not impossible to confide my problems to others and being able to communicate some of it to people who seem to 'get' me has been an absolute godsend in recent years.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I read your post with interest because among all the welcoming and supportive ones it struck the only discordant note. However, I did say at the outset that I welcome advice and as I see it a major benefit of a diary is to learn from constructive criticism. I did feel though that your tone was somewhat censorious. While I would not normally bother to respond it might be useful to address some of your points in case other readers feel the same as you do. Always good to put the record straight and clear things up from the outset:j.

I agree absolutely about no one forced me to buy things, it was my choice and I paid for it in more ways than one:eek:. I do need to point out, without trying to make excuses, that acquiring and surrounding myself with, for the most part, mountains of unnecessary 'stuff' was symptomatic of underlying psychological issues that I really don't want to address in this post or probably ever in my diary. As for having the benefit of enjoying a lot of my purchases you couldn't be further from the truth. Once the bags/boxes were brought home or delivered I often never opened them. The vast amount of still sealed items I've discovered when sorting out the loft or shed beggars belief. I hadn't a clue I had them never mind why.

As far as interest goes I agree that I knew by spending on credit I would have that added. But I do feel that the credit card companies have something to answer for when they have a customer (me) who has reached the credit limit of, say, £15000 on a particular card, had been repaying just the minimum every month for some time, sometimes the added interest without spending anything extra on the card taking the balance over limit (with extra charges for the privilege !) and they then increased the credit limit by another £2000 without being asked to.

You might say, why not refuse it but to some people such as me it would be a lifeline and it would be impossible to politely refuse rather than grabbing it with both hands. It's very interesting that lenders are now addressing the whole issue of debt and people's mental health, thanks in no small measure to the sterling work done by Martin Lewis:A on the subject. Also, in recent months I received 3 unsolicited sums of money from Lloyds who wrote to say that after reviewing how they treated people in financial difficulties they admitted they didn't treat them fairly at the time. I was just one of many to receive unfair charges and interest fees back and I know some other big financial institutions did the same.

Unlike yourself, I really don't feel OH is even partly to blame for my debts. We split resonsibilty for household expenses and joint purchases 50/50 and over all it has worked pretty well. When our previous cooker 'died' I was the one responsible for choosing and buying the new one. It was my own fault I felt I had to go for one with all the bells and whistles when a basic one would do. Not to show off, hardly anyone but OH and I ever saw it or knew of it, but I thought, erroneously, that it would be more useful etc. I'm the only one of the two of us to use it so it was my choice entirely. Sadly, upgrades cost:( . Similarly, as OH is solely responsible for the gardening and outdoor stuff (we have about half an acre) it's his responsibility to buy any tools and machinery that he needs. When he bought the last mower it was totally his choice and financial responsibility whether he bought a ride-on model for several thousands or a basic push petrol mower. Needless to say, being the canny spender that he is, the cheaper version won the day.

You said he received the benefit of what I bought and that's true but by the same token I got the benefit from items he bought if they were of use to both of us like household appliances. Swings and roundabouts (not that either of us bought any of them:rotfl:). The main source of my debt was purchases of years of unnecessary things that he neither used or saw and, as I said before, neither did I most of the time:o. Why should he be expected to pay for things such as masses of the 'latest thing' (invariably eye-wateringly expensive) in cosmetics (enough to last for several lifetimes)? The list of items of all kinds not just cosmetics is endless and I'm too embarrassed to say any more:o

I planned to add just a short response to your post but have gone on a bit instead of what I really wanted to say in my 2nd big post which was my plans for adding to my savings and the reasons I want to have them. Will save that for another time. I'm pleased though that I bothered to explain the situation as it has given me pause for yet more thought and I feel better for trying to rationalise what has always been a difficult issue for me to cope with. I keep my cards very close to my chest in real life, find it immensely difficult if not impossible to confide my problems to others and being able to communicate some of it to people who seem to 'get' me has been an absolute godsend in recent years.

Faboulous reply car boot well rounded and explained magnificently. Have a good day .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure