Lost details of PPI on credit card

When I was power of attorney for my father Im remember he had taken out a PPI on his credit card from RBS. It was paid monthly and he never really used his credit card so I cancelled it as soon as I took control. He died in 2007 and I have no record of this PPi. Should I approach the bank and ask them if they have any record of this?

Comments

• Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Sounds more like CPP than PPI. You only pay PPI as a % of the outstanding balance so if you didn't use the card you wouldn't pay it.
  • You could ask. However, it's very unlikely they would have any records.

But bear in mind that even if they do, you need mis-sale reasons and if he rarely use the card, there would be very little in the way of PPI payments made.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I agree that it also sounds like CPP was in play than PPI.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Droopy61 wrote: »
    When I was power of attorney for my father Im remember he had taken out a PPI on his credit card from RBS. It was paid monthly and he never really used his credit card so I cancelled it as soon as I took control. He died in 2007 and I have no record of this PPi. Should I approach the bank and ask them if they have any record of this?

I'd do a little research but chances are 11 years after his death, any records the bank held are long gone.

As above, a monthly fee is not PPI, it's almost certainly CPP and the refund boat for that has long since sailed. PPI was charged based on how much the card had on it (typically 70-80p per £100 of debt). If the card was not used then there would be no PPI as there was nothing to protect.
  • HELLO123
    HELLO123 Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2019 at 12:22AM
    My father got a letter from barclaycard out of the blue, it could of been in 2013 or thereabouts. They said basically would he like to claim his PPI, he didn't know he had it or even know what PPI was, so i help him with the form and ticked the reasons for mis-sold boxes and i sent it off on his behalf. They came back with some calculation figures that we couldn't understand we certainly wasn't in a position to challenge it as we didn't understand it.
    We agreed to the amount and signed a disclaimer that we wouldn't pursue anymore claims.
    My father kept getting PPI spam phone calls and he asked me what PPI was and i explained it to him.
    Laugh (or cry) when i took over his financial affairs i noticed he had been saddled with PPI for the best part of his life on numerous loans and similar care plans on his mortgage.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    HELLO123 wrote: »
    i noticed he had been saddled with PPI for the best part of his life on numerous loans and similar care plans on his mortgage.
    It's not a crime to have insurance, especially on a mortgage. Mortgage PPI is still retailed today and was never just added without the knowledge and permission of the customer. The proof of this is that you were obviously able to "notice" the PPI on his documentation after his death. It is your opinion that he was "saddled" with the insurance, but that is not a valid complaint I'm afraid.

As to the PPI complaint from a few years back, that was a complete success. You will have received a full refund plus 8% simple interest. This is the redress defined by the regulator and is not somehow negotiable. You are not required to sign any "disclaimers", just that you accept the redress in full and final settlement. Failing to "understand" the refund is not reason to suspect you received less than you should have.

In future, please create new threads rather than bumping up old ones like this..
  • HELLO123
    HELLO123 Posts: 17 Forumite
    It's not a crime to bump up old threads neither.
    I might reply on this thread or start another as i have some counterarguments to what you said. As Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't say....

"I might be back"
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    No, it isn't but since what you write has an air of militancy about it, because you are waving righteous indignation about your father having PPI without realising what types mean what, or what the letters explaining redess mean and is only relevant to your situation, bumping up threads is a bit pointless. You're only sharing your own sitaution, not how it applies to anyone else.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    He won’t listen to reason... he never does!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    HELLO123 wrote: »
    It's not a crime to bump up old threads
    It's not, I agree.

But it's very rude to continue doing so after both being asked not to and it being explained (several times) why you should not do it.

Realise that posting here is a privilege (not a right) which can be revoked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure