Allergic to new pup?

I have just got a new pup last week and I am suffering with allergic symptoms. Red eyes, stuffy nose. I have been to chemist and bought all the relevant drops/tablets. It seems to happen more in the evening. I am now trying to have less contact with her at this time and not let her sit on me.
Is there any hope for me? I have owned a dog years ago and have waited for the right time to replace her. Worried that I won't be able to keep her if this continues. Has anyone got any reassuring words?

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Similar thread the other day relating to cats, where Petalcleanse was mentioned. Turns out they do a Petalcleanse for dogs too!

I have no idea if this is any good.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Like any irritant (not an allergy it won't kill you), the best option is more contact. Though maybe ramp it up over a few weeks.

Other peoples cats and dogs do that to me. However I have 3 cats of my own and am fine. You just been to build up expose to desensitize yourself. All of the silly things that are sold do nothing much (you can have a short term gain). But people think they work because they just get desensitized over time.
  • Carrot007 wrote: »
    Like any irritant (not an allergy it won't kill you), the best option is more contact. Though maybe ramp it up over a few weeks.

It doesn’t have to kill you to be an allergy! Maybe you’re thinking of anaphylaxis, that’s just one very severe type of allergic reaction, there are other ways an allergy can manifest and runny nose, sore eyes etc. is a common one. That’s how Hay Fever tends to go for example, and hay fever is an allergy to pollen.

OP I agree with petal cleanse and time if you’ve been fine with dogs before. You might actually be reacting to an allergen from the breeder’s house that the pup is carrying in its fur, rather than the pup!
  • ceewash
    ceewash Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Similar thread the other day relating to cats, where Petalcleanse was mentioned. Turns out they do a Petalcleanse for dogs too!

I have no idea if this is any good.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.
  • ceewash
    It doesn’t have to kill you to be an allergy! Maybe you’re thinking of anaphylaxis, that’s just one very severe type of allergic reaction, there are other ways an allergy can manifest and runny nose, sore eyes etc. is a common one. That’s how Hay Fever tends to go for example, and hay fever is an allergy to pollen.

OP I agree with petal cleanse and time if you’ve been fine with dogs before. You might actually be reacting to an allergen from the breeder’s house that the pup is carrying in its fur, rather than the pup!

Thank you, that's what I'm hoping. I've ordered Petal cleanse online. Is there anywhere that sells it in store? More contact or less with puppy?
  • ceewash wrote: »
    Thank you, that's what I'm hoping. I've ordered Petal cleanse online. Is there anywhere that sells it in store? More contact or less with puppy?

I think pets at home do their own brand version.

Just carry on as normal for now in terms of contact with pup, but hoover every day and get rid of hairs quickly off clothes and furniture.

Good luck!
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Less contact with new puppy just sounds like the wrong way to build a close bond.
    It's not a thing to pick up and play with when it suits you.
    I hope the Petalcleanse and so forth will help you.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    It depends how badly you are affected.

My friend suffers from asthma but she manages to live with two GSDs. However, they are not allowed upstairs. She takes anti histamines every day, under medical supervision.

I had a client whose daughter's asthma was made much worse by their dog. She would have a rasping cough most of the night.

The dog had been bought for this girl, who was mad about dogs. After trying many things and much soul searching the dog was rehomed and the girl improved immediately.

They were able to get a video of their dog enjoying her new life which they were delighted with.

After a couple of years they bought a non shedding breed but unfortunately, the girl reacted to it as well.

Is you new puppy the same breed as before?

I knew someone who reacted to short haired breeds but was okay with long haired ones. She had a bearded collie and a lhasa apso with no problems but couldn't as much as touch a short haired breed without getting itchy, runny eyes.
  • ceewash
    No this one is a Border Terrier. The other one was a Heinz57 from dogs home. Hoping that things might be better once her vaccinations have been done and we can spend more time outside. Also investing in a new vacuum cleaner for pets. Any recommendations welcome.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    A puppy's coat changes to their adult coat around 9 months so the texture will change.

However, it is usually the dander from the skin that irritates rather than the hair.

Whatever vacuum cleaner you get choose one with a goos filter.

I have had a Dyson for years but others don't like them. Modern cleaners now have lower wattage motors so are not as powerful as old models. I currently have a reconditioned one which has the more powerful motor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure