The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Earn over 50k never seem to have any money

Comments

• ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    I will have a good look on the debt board thankyou the reason we got to Florida and spend so much on holidays is that I want my kids to experience different thing's and places etc no offence but Benidorm is not a place where I would take my children it's a fab place to go with the girls but not really our scene for a family holiday and if we go in the kids holidays it's more like £5000 and I would definitely not pay that price for a holiday there maybe it's just me
    I realise how lucky we are maybe just need to prioritise our spending a bit better getting my spread sheets ready to do some adjustments

Benidorm wouldn't appeal to me either but you could still show your children a lot of interesting places and experiences for a lot less than £17k. What about Europe, for a start?

It's your choice, of course, but it's difficult to complain about having no money if you're prepared to spend that much on a holiday.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    I will have a good look on the debt board thankyou the reason we got to Florida and spend so much on holidays is that I want my kids to experience different thing's and places etc no offence but Benidorm is not a place where I would take my children it's a fab place to go with the girls but not really our scene for a family holiday and if we go in the kids holidays it's more like £5000 and I would definitely not pay that price for a holiday there maybe it's just me
    I realise how lucky we are maybe just need to prioritise our spending a bit better getting my spread sheets ready to do some adjustments

Insert any other place that is about 15k cheaper! I've never even been to Spain so it was a random pick out of the air.

I want lots of things, and if it's worth it to you then fair play, crack on. I wanted to be able to retire early so at 54 I can, but it wasn't something everyone would have wanted to do.

I do think you could do the trip cheaper though as one of the other posters said.
  • Have you thought about part time or term time only working?
  • I would love to work part time or term time only but so does everyone else and having not work for many years I lack experience my partner is home for the weekend now so tomorrow were going to sit down and try and be ruthless and see what we can change or do without thinking the little things like Netflix can go and not having as many takeaways hopefully we can all compromise as a family
    Thanks for everyone's input it's nice to hear everyone's opinions
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I will have a good look on the debt board thankyou the reason we got to Florida and spend so much on holidays is that I want my kids to experience different thing's and places etc
    I don't know where you live, but unless it's in the back of beyond there are plenty of ways to experience different things and places while barely leaving your county ... Your nearest city is likely to offer simply AMAZING opportunities to experience different things and, if not the places themselves, a taste of them.

As a child, DS's family went to Polzeath every single summer. We went to Broadstairs. I don't think it's adversely affected our development.

We brought up three boys and I don't think it adversely affected their development that they didn't go anywhere foreign until the youngest was 7 or 8 - and then it was a gite in France for a few years. Yes, we did theme parks occasionally, but in order of preference we liked Legoland Windsor, Parc Asterix and EuroDisney.

We had one family holiday to NY and Wildwood when they were teenagers, which was not THAT expensive.
    I would love to work part time or term time only but so does everyone else and having not work for many years I lack experience
    I'm guessing you also lack confidence. You could consider doing some volunteering to get some experience, it should be possible to work that around school commitments. Did you work before having children? What did you do? Would you like to go back to that, or do something different?
    thinking the little things like Netflix can go and not having as many takeaways hopefully we can all compromise as a family
    DEFINITELY! If you're at home it's worth thinking what you could do to reduce costs. I watched a few episodes of one of those TV programmes where they were showing families how much money they could save, and some of them had recipes for home made substitutes for takeaway favourites. Again, if you lack confidence, see if there are local cookery classes.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    OP, presumably you're the one doing the shopping and the food prep. You can lead there - what savings could you make?
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can rent a villa in Kissimmee for 2 weeks for £1000. Say the flights are another £5000, another £500 for park tickets, where does the £15k before spending money come in ? I'm baffled !
  • If you’ve got a council house that’s suitable for your needs, why are you worrying about buying?

You’ve got a secure home for life, with low rent and somebody else responsible for maintenance. Owning isn’t the holy grail!
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There's a little saying that OH and I use. It maybe trite, but it is true -
    "You can have anything you want, but you cannot have everything you want"

Everyone's priorities will be different but it seems you cannot save for a huge holiday, maintain your current life-stylesand save for a house. Something has to change but it is up to you what that is.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904
    First Post
    Forumite
    Out of all the places I've visited in the USA, I can honestly say that Florida is the place I'd least likely to want to return to. I bet you could have just as good a time in other states for a lot less money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure