CTRL Mobile REVIEW

Goldcrypto
Goldcrypto Posts: 104 Forumite
edited 3 August 2018 at 8:06PM in Mobiles
The is a review of CTRL Mobile ( www.ctrlmobile.co.uk ) . after the limited actual reviews and fact nothing recent on this little known SIM only company.

Before ordering, I did a check to confirm this MVNO did in fact operate under the Three network, which they do. Now as they operate on a month SIM only plan (no credit check, no contract etc) I thought may as well give them a try as at the time of ordering just a few days ago they had the following starter plans:

- £5 for 1GB of data and unlimited texts/calls
- £6 for 2GB of data and unlimited text/calls

Plus they had (at time of order) some good big data packs, unlimited calls/texts plus £10 free credit to use for international calls/texts.

*(These are best rates in market for no contract and flexibility to change each month. As I wanted another plan that does penalise for calling or texting lots of different numbers, plus no credit contract or long term plan - I have SMARTY that I love as my personal SIM only plan but they penalise calling lots of different numbers and will cut you off claiming it is for business use. So wanted another, second, SIM only plan for business mobile. Other cheap SIM only at around £5 /£6 (that do not penalise) are ID Mobile (not considered as contract only and do not like fact of many other billing problems, having a credit contract with them at their ransom etc bad feedback) as well as Plusnet (same contract issue and lack of flexibility). So real alternatives are ASDA pay monthly pack at £5 (125 mins / 2000 texts / 250 MB data) - not enough texts for me or £7 (1GB data / 300 mins / unlimited texts) - works well for me but this CTRL Mobile had better offer).

So after receiving the SIM in only 2 working days it arrived. However, was not activated (as claimed on site) but a quick message online chat had them activate it immediately and all was working. I also found their online email form gave fast replies back with any initial questions. So having logged into my account was showing 1GB and 5000 Texts and 5000 mins for the £5 plan. I tried this the whole day around London and worked prefect. Good reception, fast 4G internet speeds, clear reception calls and fast texts. So below are PROS and CONS:

PROS -
- Flexible no contract can change month to month
- Did have good plans when I signed up £5 / £6 and free cash credit on big plans (these have now gone!)
- Cheap international rates and texts (USA 1.5p per min and many other low rates plus texts international only 5p - cheaper than Gifgaff 8p per text international).
- Easy to use online web to view usage
- Can Pause plan anytime and just have the phone on receive calls until want to opt into another monthly plan
- 20% continuous payment reward every month for those referred and on every future payment monthly payment they make (although in reality would need to see how reliable they are to keep to that promise!).

CONS -
- Plans do not seem reliable to predict from month to month. All the £5/£6 plans and free credit has now gone from the big plans so cheapest plan now is £10 for 1GB and unlimited calls/texts (double what my current £5 plan is so looks like I will not get same offer for next month).
- Expensive add on packs. 1GB data is £4 if you want to add extra data so best knowing from start which plan you will need (Here SMARTY totally wins at only £1.25 extra data per GB and discount back)
- No online app

So unfortunately will be pausing my contract when this £5 plan expires unless they offer the £5 or £6 pack again which was great value and ideal for my second phone - I'd even be interested if they offered say a £5 monthly no contract at 500 MB or 1GB and 300-500 Mins calls and unlimited texts. Is a shame as all worked well and this company had good potential if they kept those offers. I will not be recommending unless the original rates come back and would not Port a number across (although I did not need or care about that, was happy with random generated number they gave) until they had more stability and were confirmed reliable long term.

My feeling is as with most MVNO's to get contracts with a mobile network or cheaper option via a third party, aggregator, who sources the contracts with the mobile network requires a significant guarantee to the number of people that must be signed up. I heard stats of around 20,000 just to break even in many cases, so these low deals may have been just for sign up numbers!
'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett

Comments

• Goldcrypto
    Have been using now for nearly 1 month and will be now renewing and keeping as they now have a £5 deal back again, no contract.

Also, now have 50% off (until 1st September 2018) so is £2.50 for 1 month of unlimited calls / unlimited texts and 500 MB data then goes to £5 if taken same package out for following month.

Also for bigger uses do a current unlimited everything - unlimited calls / texts and data for £10 (but need to remember only first 10GB is allowed to tether) then if continue with that pack future months is £20.
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why this separate thread from the main one, and why are you posting on both?
  • Goldcrypto
    This is an actual review. Other was just people asking questions and giving opinionated views that seemed to be running astray based on nothing. This thread can serve as a basis for CTRL mobile current plans and people actually using their service etc. Unless admin wants to merge them. If not then...

W Buffett
  • Not sure if these were once a valid company, but they appear to be running a scam at the moment. Bought an 'early bird' sim on December 31st and paid £4.99.

Sim hasn't arrived, and they don't respond to enquiries via their contact page. They state they have 'UK based customer service around the clock', but a web form is the only way to contact them and as I said they don't respond. No email address or phone number.

Probably should have known better, as their web site is full of poor grammar and spelling errors.

Others also having the same experience https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/ctrlmobile.co.uk

Avoid!
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Do you know that you can claim your money back from your card company?

Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback
  • Yes, that's exactly what I did.
  • Allan Lake is running a scam company. I invested nearly £10,000 for white label Network solution and Paid Ctrl mobile the funds. It’s been 11 months since the payment and yet we do have any updates. His entire company Ctrl Mobile or Ctrl Telecommunication is a fraudulent business. Please be aware there is no MVNO or wholesale plan they can delivery. Allan Lake has opened 3 companies under Ctrl Communications Ltd, CTRL COMMUNICATIONS LIMITED and latest one Ctrl Telecom Ltd all under his name to provide Ctrl Mobile service and 2 of them is on strike off. This is a classic signs of scam artist.
    Please be aware Ctrl Mobile is a total scam and do not buy any sim card or wholesale solution. Please check trustpilot reviews before going ahead. There is not telephone line or legitimate office to contact in case things go wrong.
    I have taken legal action to recover my funds and close this company down permanently. Apparently the director Allan Lake runs a radio show, but it is all part of the scam he is running.
    The company and the director soon will be under investigation for fraudulent activities.
  • Allan Lake is a scam artist just can not deliver anything he says, he lives in a fantasy planet do not pay these guys for an MVNO as they have scammed multiple companies. Just a one-man band with no experience or ability to deliver on anything, ask for previous experience in business show 1 business that has been established for over a year with good credit and no CCJ's - Impossible!
  • Drop me a message if you need some more info, I had the same problem with this person and company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure