Postgraduate loans 2016/2017 starters

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,245
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    warprose wrote: »
    Thanks all for the information being shared. I have read various articles about the proposed loan and it being eligible for residents "ordinarily" living in UK and for a term of 3 years prior. I want to apply for a Master's commencing 2016/17 and I am a citizen of England but have temporarily worked abroad for 2 years just prior to the course and can show evidence of this. What are my chances of still receiving and being eligible for the proposed loan ? Many thanks, R

Umm... there is no such thing as a citizen of England.

You will have to check how they define "ordinarily resident" in England: things like having a permanent address, bank account, paying bills, might help you.
  • Hi,
    I am disabled and claim benefits, I claim ESA and DLA I am married with four kids. How will the postgraduate loan affect my claim, I don't seem to be able to find any info on the Internet. Thanks for any help.
  • Hi Dexter1007,

I know it was a long time ago that you posted this query, but thought it would be helpful to share this very new information that I gleaned in the last few days from the university I will be attending, and a disability information line, in the last couple of days.

I no longer work and am on and income-related benefit with a disability component. I am due to commence a part-time (so, over two years) Masters, from this September. I asked how the Postgrad loan (which I have had approved) would affect my benefit entitlement, as the actual contact time on my course is just one day or so, I meet the part-time element of the course for benefit purposes. However, after being told the following, I rang up the DWP to check things out. This is what roughly what I was told by my Student's Union Welfare team and the disability benefits organisation:

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Income-related benefits are means-tested. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]30% of the postgraduate loan you are entitled to receive (which is £5,000) will be taken into account as student income. You will be treated as having this income if you are entitled to it, even if you choose not to take it because of any scholarship awarded, or even if you decide only to take part of it. This will affect the benefit rate paid to you over the term weeks. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]There is no differentiation on whether the postgraduate loans payments are for fees or living costs.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]If you are entitled to a maximum loan of £5,000, you will be treated as having income of £1500. There will be fixed disregards for books, equipment and travel also. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]The regulations only came out last week so we are trying to find out what the disregard actually is for part-time students. [/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]Obviously, each individual circumstance is different, but it would be wise to check out your particular situation (as stated, above, the information is so new, it is not totally set in stone, as yet). I now have to send in all my documentation to DWP so that they can "decide" whether to "allow" me to undertake the course...Hmmm...Anyway, this is something I wanted to let other people know and to encourage them to check out their own, individual situations...I was, luckily, awarded a scholarship for all but a small amount of the fees, so I pray that there is nothing that stops me from doing this course and bettering my life situation, so that I can start self-employment which will work around my many health issues. Would encourage others to also apply for the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA), in order to give oneself the best chance of not being further disadvantaged, healthwise, and make the most of studying.

Good luck!

[/FONT]
  • Hi,

Does anyone know if there is an option for transferring an existing PCDL from say Barclays to the new SLC scheme? I took out my Master's loan in 2013.
  • Is this loan available for students on the LPC?
  • Hi

I've just read the MSE email regarding the new masters loans. Are PGCE students (September 2016 start) eligible for this please?

Many thanks
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,867
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Hayleygg wrote: »
    Hi

I've just read the MSE email regarding the new masters loans. Are PGCE students (September 2016 start) eligible for this please?

Many thanks

PGCE students get funding as part of their undergraduate loan.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • The Government is indeed 'Omnicompetent' in its ability to breach regulations and laws that a private provider could not.

Age is a protected characteristic. So denying anyone over 60 student funding for postgraduate study should be as unacceptable as denying access because of other protected characteristics - disability, gender, etc. etc.

Is there anyone out there willing to challenge this? I write as someone prevented from funded retirement because of changes to retirement age; with the 'right' to work forever (despite having worked since 16 years old).
  • Hello I completed a masters from September 2014 to September 2015. I took out a career development loan for the masters and have documents that prove that's where the money has gone to. Is it possible to move this debt into a student finance loan?
  • if you took out a career development loan for a masters are you able to convert it into a student finance postgraduate loan?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback