Solar energy - Feed-in Tariff payment delays - your experiences?

Comments

• reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    With NPower I sent in first reading on 21st. May and got payment cheque dated 4th. JUly! Sent in second reading on 28th. August [ 3 months after May closing date] and received no acknowledgement despite phone calls and e-mails. They then requested a reading by 25th. Sept [so much for quarterly readings] which I sent in on 23rd. Sept.. It would appear that their admin. is still chaotic but at least the PV panels are doing well and have already exceeded their estimated annual 1850kWh having started in early February. I intend to persist with NPower to see if they can sort themselves out but it's all been an eye opener and if I could be sure of finding a better company then I'd think about changing.
  • I've just had the first request for a meter reading from EDF and they have now said they will pay within 90 days from the end of the reading month. Doesn't mean that they will take that long, judging by other posters, but it could still be up to 180 days from when they consumed the first exported electricity.
    Been in touch with Consumer Direct, who directed me to EST. EST directed me to OFGEM who told me 90 days was not unusual, as the companies tended to wait until the "levelisation" was completed before paying (whatever that is).

I'm trying to determine whether we are selling the energy back to the power company on a commercial basis - as in business to business - because then the Late Payment Legislation could be applied if the terms were not clear in the contract.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    walford58 wrote: »
    I've just had the first request for a meter reading from EDF and they have now said they will pay within 90 days from the end of the reading month. Doesn't mean that they will take that long, judging by other posters, but it could still be up to 180 days from when they consumed the first exported electricity.
    Been in touch with Consumer Direct, who directed me to EST. EST directed me to OFGEM who told me 90 days was not unusual, as the companies tended to wait until the "levelisation" was completed before paying (whatever that is).

I'm trying to determine whether we are selling the energy back to the power company on a commercial basis - as in business to business - because then the Late Payment Legislation could be applied if the terms were not clear in the contract.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The OFGEM reply sound typically woolly and unhelpful to consumers - also meaningless!

The Late Payment legislation is very unlikely to apply, though, because we'd have to be acting in the course of a business, and I think we'd struggle to meet that requirement.

"This Act applies to a contract for the supply of goods or services where the purchaser and the supplier are each acting in the course of a business, other than an excepted contract."
  • Hi do the energy company request a reading? I had a very prompt response from e-on when I registered but have not heard anything from them since sending the other documentation (proof of ID etc)
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch + Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since
  • mickyduck wrote: »
    Hi do the energy company request a reading? I had a very prompt response from e-on when I registered but have not heard anything from them since sending the other documentation (proof of ID etc)

You should have received a FIT Plan which contains the date you are expected to give them your first meter reading. On providing your first reading you will receive a FIT statement which contains the date you are expected to give them your next reading. They will not send you a reminder.
  • keith_r59 wrote: »
    You should have received a FIT Plan which contains the date you are expected to give them your first meter reading. On providing your first reading you will receive a FIT statement which contains the date you are expected to give them your next reading. They will not send you a reminder.

Thanks just gave them a call to check all was OK first reading 14 Oct looks like being quite a healthy lump above average unless something very unusual happens in the next 2 weeks.
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch + Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since
  • keith_r59
    keith_r59 Posts: 255 Forumite
    I've just received my latest FIT payment from E.ON. The time line was as follows:

06/10 - Sent e-mail to E.ON containing the generation meter reading
    08/10 - Received e-mail from E.ON confirming receipt of generation meter reading
    12/10 - Received e-mail from E.ON containing quarterly FIT statement
    21/10 - FIT payment received into nominated bank account

So the whole process took just over 2 weeks, which I don't think is too shabby, and everything was handled electronically.
  • Lemoncurd
    Lemoncurd Posts: 964
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We've only had two payments so far, with British Gas. On both occasions I emailed the reading, had a reply by email within 24hrs and the cheque arrived in two weeks.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,262
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Scottish Power 2 weeks.
  • EDF - 4 weeks and still counting :(
    Target of wind & watertight by Sept 2011 :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income