What small DFW things will you do w/c 14th January 2019?

Options

Comments

• PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Morning all :hello:

If ever anyone needed it, evidence this thread saves you money. 1LL mentioned needing to sort;out a mu$clefood order, made me think I'd not cancelled my subscription they had auto signed me up for when I last bought something (got a free ready meal) so I put in on my list and forgot to do it. When I reread my list yesterday I did it and just as well as the crafty so an so's we're going to take the payment today :eek: not 30 days after my last order like I had thought. Thanks 1LL :A

Other things:
    Check banking, no change but also means no spend :D
    Hot drink already made for my commute.
    Saved a coffee jar to wash out and I'm going to try some of the larger volume spices we use in one.
    Enjoying the moment of quiet with a coffee before smalls get up
    Off to a supplier today, they said they'd treat me to lunch. :D
    Hm lemon cake I made last night in lunchboxes for everyone else
    If I'm back from work at a decent time I'll try for a run
    Cat not enjoying new food regime, did eat a little yesterday but no where near enough, DH treated him to scrambled egg this morning, which he's never had before (cat not mr Purps :rotfl:) but vet suggested it as an alternative. May have to talk to vet about other options.

Enjoy your day folks. Purps.
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning Icicles,
    On today's list:
    *Finish shopping list.
    *Clean whole house using minimal products & washable microfibre cloths.
    *Load towels into washer for Economy 7 load over the weekend.
    *Make a list of everything I can usefully do in town tomorrow.
    *Write letter - recycled envelope stash.
    *Knit - I can finish my jumper this weekend if I put a bit of effort in.
    *Swallow a frog - tho why this has become a frog I don't know, as there's nothing to it.
    Then I intend to have a lovely soak in the bath & use up some of my free samples of expensive potions.
    Have a good Friday all,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,586 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all, nothing wrong, I'm just not feeling the love today.

Today's plans
    Find last few library books that are hidden about the place
    Return library loans
    Check bank accounts
    Stick to meal plan
    PAD
    Enter a few competitions
    Home educate children for free
    Record spends in diary
    Check credit card to check refunds have come through, we are due over £600
    Make bread
    All food and drink from stores

Thank you to those that shared how you monitor and record their spending, keep your methods coming it will inspire others to either duplicate or to adjust it to better fit their circumstances & also I'm curious.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Morning all :coffee:
    Apologies for the absence - I'm wiped out at the moment with a cold (slept for 16 hours yesterday).
    There's nothing going on other than sleep and survival, although at least I feel as though I can do a couple of hours of work on the laptop today. Get a head start on next week so I can go back to work fighting fit.
  • merida88
    merida88 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 January 2019 at 10:43AM
    Options
    Thank you to those that shared how you monitor and record their spending, keep your methods coming it will inspire others to either duplicate or to adjust it to better fit their circumstances & also I'm curious.

I actually use one of those pre-paid cards, we got them for using different currencies but I use mine all the time (and OH has started trying out my method). So my budgeted spending goes onto that card and it's automatically categorised on spending and visible via an app. I do have a spreadsheet too to break it down into my precise categories and check the budget is realistic, but day-to-day the card app does it for me.

Update from yesterday:
    - bike to work AM – done!
    - all meals and snacks from stores – done! Supper not entirely successful, but edible and used up a few bits
    - make list and do small shop for weekend eating – I forgot bags, so doing this tonight
    - sort clean clothes and put away – DONE! :j
    - take dog for short outing – done, this was ace in the moonlight
    - make some cheese straws from leftover pastry – done, these were more successful
    - 1/2 hour hoovering/general clean round – not done for reasons below
    - reward with a nice bath - not done but I got up a little early and had a bath this morning, oh the luxury! Now that is a way to start a Friday. Doesn’t take a lot to impress me... :rotfl:

Reasons for not cleaning were bike maintenance and car repair attempts.

Bike was slipping out of gear a bit on my way home yesterday lunchtime – nice simple fix (I hope) just needed some lubricant and running through the gears. Tightened up my front brake too, all very satisfying.

Car did not go so well, I achieved nothing except dropping the allen key I needed and losing it. Possibly shouldn’t choose a freezing dark evening to attempt these things. :mad:

Also checked my t3sco points and converted some for a free trip to the cinema tomorrow – thinking Aquaman. It’s probably drivel, but potentially enjoyable drivel and we haven’t been to the cinema for ages. Think the film is too long to be able to use the free-for-three-hours car park though. :think:

“Use ups” this week has been going great guns, easier when it’s just me to feed tbh, although it takes longer. I don’t want to stock up again until I’ve defrosted the fridge freezer, as it needs it! But obviously don’t want to bin stuff unnecessarily.
    This week I have used up:
    - ½ feta cheese block
    - ¼ bag polenta
    - jar pickled pears (gifted to us)
    - ½ punnet cherry tomatoes
    - ½ celeriac
    - Large turnip
    - Carton of oat cream near it’s date
    - ½ pack roquefort
    - End of some sheeps’ tomme
    - Mini tin of assam tea leaves from a crimbo hamper a couple of years ago!
    - End pack frozen roast potatoes
    - 3 wraps I’d stashed in the freezer for later
    - The last of the crimbo 3 bird roast and stuffing I’d stashed in the freezer for later
    - ½ bag of going-slimy spinach
    - 2 portions of beef casserole, stashed in the freezer
    - Olive breadsticks that have been hanging around for ages
    - An avocado that was getting sad (made avocado pesto, scrummy)
    - Hummus portion from the freezer
    - End of the pack of frozen peas (won’t buy that variety again, aldee’s were much nicer)

Well I must say, looking at that gigantic list I don’t feel *quite* so useless :rotfl:

To today's list, it’s a mini one:
    - bike to work AM
    - make list and do small shop for weekend eating – stick to list
    - quiet night in with OH and some telly :D

Hope everyone has a fabulous Friday :j :j :j
  • ChasingtheWelshdream
    Options
    Morning all, my day off and it's snowing. I've been very lax on the admin this week, so am planning on the heating off but a hot water bottle at my desk, going through various piles of admin and lots of tea.

A few payments to make - school trips, scout fees/trips, swimming fees etc. Kids cost a lot! :eek:

I'm hoping to really nail down the budget and see if we can stretch to a holiday this year. I'm applying to the school for a term-time holiday, which will really be the only way we can afford one this year, with everything else owing. Only a caravan park, but it will be nice if we can.

I had a wine offer from a 'club' I joined for a voucher but have never bought anything since. The deal works out approx £3 per bottle, but will need a large lump paying out, so I'm hoping to move things around to stretch to it this month - little pleasures! :o:o:beer:

Other than that, I'm planning on taking a lazy day as the next couple of weeks will be manic. I joined a new Knit & Natter group last night but as I haven't touched my wool in a couple of years, I didn't really have a project. It's now going to be a weekly group in a pub, so I'm going to head down the library before the school run and get some books for inspiration for something to do. Although with this weather, it might just be blankets!

Speaking of blankets, our plumber has gone awol, so still now heating in the Room of Doom. Time to find someone else! :-(

Have a nice day all. :-)
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 January 2019 at 5:31PM
    Options
    Morning all,

Pf, glad to be of service :A :rotfl:
    Get well soon CCL
    BB, I'm feeling a bit like that today too, I think its the weather, its dark and gloomy like my mood. I'm going to finish typing this and then stick on an old cd and clean the house looking like a loon dancing.

Todays list
    * ys bread for ds1 breakfast with eggs/ds2 to free school breakfast club as usual
    * gym session done and refilled water bottle there twice
    * Called into mr A whilst out to pick up more of dh's fave coffee as they have it on offer at the minute so may as well stock up
    * Also called into farmfo0ds as I was next door, stocked up wtih 3 boxes of washing powder, large blocks of their extra mature cheese which is lovely, lots of bags of peas and a few other bits, went round the shop with my phone to add up the spends to get as close to the amount I wanted to redeem a MOC, ended up a £1 short of threshold so I got another bag of peas!
    * Another fried egg butty for my brunch as I have an egg mountain!
    * checked all sockets are off that aren't in use inc alarm clocks

Still to do
    * check banking/update spreadsheet & email it back to me :A
    * run the dishwasher on the quick wash and empty it :A
    * run the washing machine on the quick 30 degree wash :A
    * empty radiators of washing ready for ^^ to dry tonight :A
    * iron the 5 things from yesterday + dh's work shirts - switching off before last item to use residual heat :A
    Thats my start, hopefully I'll be back once I get these done.
    :A 3 onep0!! surveys done
    :A Moved more clothes out of ds1s room which he's grown out of, put them away for ds2 to grow into. Plus took a couple of bits out of ds2s in to the charity shop bag
    :A A yougov survey done too
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 January 2019 at 11:12PM
    Options
    Hi January Joy-Seekers,

Evening!:coffee: Not in work today.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

* Check online banking. Done.

* Lunch is pizza made from stray naan bread. Done.

* Check DW's online banking. Done.

* Dinner is pies that are lurking in the bottom of the freezer and, I swear, multiplying. Done. Veg cooked in the same pan as pies were steaming.

* Clear emails. Done.

* Top up pill box. Done. Thank-you NHS.

* Format a memory card that isn't working in the hope that that 'fixes' it. Done. It worked.

* Email John Lewis. My 'cheap' £100 camera is 3 years old and has spots on the sensor which isn't easy to rectify myself. The guarantee was for 2 years. See if I can persuade them to help. Emailed.

* Pick up free Metro paper at station for DW. Done.

* Continue my Challenge 500 miles challenge to travel 500 miles for free before the end of 2019: walking, hiking, climbing, cycling, running and swimming. Will cycle. Drove to station on another line. Spent £3.40 on a single train ticket to three stops away. Cycled 13km back to the car. Snow started as I was pedalling.

* Needed cheese. Bought half price Midge Ure cheese. (Wee Gavin and Stacey reference there.) Also got some YS wraps for 35p to put in the freezer.

“Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.”
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all :)
    Still feeling a bit rough with this cold / sinus thing, but paracetamol are mostly keeping the headaches at bay.
    Not much accomplished again today :o

Nothing spent
    Checked banking and was pleased to see that N@tionwide have rediscovered my disappearing savings account :)
    RM surveys stuff
    Sold an ebay item :)
    Had some leftover pizza thingies made from stale bread rolls and fridge bits for lunch (much nicer than it sounds :rotfl:)
    Made something loosely based on chicken cacciatore (sp?) for dinner, which used up more bits from the fridge :)
    Fridge is looking a bit low now, so will need to stock up a bit over the weekend.

No snow here, but it is really cold :eek:
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 January 2019 at 8:01PM
    Options
    DawnW wrote: »

No snow here, but it is really cold :eek:

Depending on where you live, many Councils will allow you to uplift/collect wee quantities of 'salt' from their roads depots to use on your own private property. Ours advertised in the press today.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure