Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 8:41 AM
    • 11,036Posts
    • 73,573Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again
    • 29th Dec 18, 8:41 AM
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again 29th Dec 18 at 8:41 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies (And Gents - if are are reading along).

Are you ready to start the New Year with a sparkle in your eye and a spring in your footsteps or are you feeling a little jaded, a little worse for wear, a tad sad and neglected.

Do you feel invisible. Does the face that stares back at you from the mirror seem like a stranger to you.

Just who is that tired old lady looking back out at you.

In short, have you become a Frump!!!

Well fret ye not, salvation is at hand.

Join our merry gang and make this the year you transform yourself.

Ditch the Frump and become the Fabulous Woman you know you can be.

And have some fun along the way.

The Story So Far.......

I have been looking back and I was astonished to discover that the First Frump to Fab thread began in 2011. Wow.

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Am I fabulous yet. Almost.

How did it all begin.

Well one day my son took a photo of me in an unguarded moment. I took one look and burst into tears. Who was that old hag, that strange woman who looked like a bag lady. That couldn't be me. So I ran upstairs and took a good hard look in a full length mirror.

Yes, dear reader, it was me.

I stopped snivelling and faced the truth. I was a mess. I resolved then and there to do something about it. I didn't know what that something was because at the time I was caring for my terminally ill husband and staring bankruptcy in the face.

I was exhausted, I looked terrible and if I'm honest, I felt desperate. I didn't know what I was going to do, or where to begin so I started the first Frump to Fab thread as a diary to spur me on and keep me motivated.

And the rest is history.

My life is truly unrecognisable from that day. And I am not the same woman.

I look better, feel better, my finances are better. I AM better.

Not quite Goddess standard yet but getting there and working towards being fabulous and having a fabulous life.

So......if you want to "Change Your Stars" then join our merry gang.

Let's make 2019 the best one yet.

And......more Importantly, let's have some fun along the way.

One Golden Rule Please.

Be kind to one another.

Please do not be harsh or judgemental to others. None of us is perfect. It doesn't matter how we became Frumps what matters is how we are going to reclaim our looks, our energy, our joire de vie.

The past is the past and why we became Frumps is no longer relevant. It doesn't matter how we got here, what matters is how we move forward.

We are all here because we want to make things better. We want to look attractive, some of us might want to improve our health and fitness. All of us on here aspire to being the best we can be. So let's support each other.

For the Newbies, the Lurkers and as a refresher course for our regular members ......

I have posted the new thread earlier this year to give us some time to reflect and decide exactly what we want to achieve next year. Time to set goals, time for some strategic planning.

Over the next few days, in true MSE fashion, myself and our regulars will be talking about some simple easy and FREE steps you can make as you prepare to start as your journey to Fabdom.

So Welcome Everyone.

Let's get this show on the road.....

Let's Rock!!!!
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 29-12-2018 at 8:52 AM.
Page 23
    • maman
    • By maman 17th Jan 19, 10:58 AM
    • 19,028 Posts
    • 113,938 Thanks
    maman
    Spam! when scrolling on my phone i often press it then have to quickly cancel it
    Originally posted by sheilavw

I agree. The report button isn't placed very well IMO.

Scented candles - I have maman to thank for this. I never really ‘got’ them, but I bought one and now love them. I got a couple for Christmas which I am enjoying.
    Originally posted by chanie

Glad to be of some help chanie. It's given me a reminder to self to use candles more often. I lit them a lot over Christmas as it looked festive but haven't bothered much since although I have plenty in stock. The perfume is lovely (much better than an air freshener) but the glow is cheery at this time of the year too. I can't remember if I posted about the LED 'candles' I saw in a NT property over Christmas. They had them in amongst the mantelpiece garlands and the table settings. They'd obviously done it for safety and economy but it looked good. it's an idea I'll copy.

Good idea to take a break from the job. Hopefully you'll find something different that suits and with any luck that offers flexi time. Enjoy your break when it comes.

Thanks for not gloating LL but I expect your DS is a happy bunny this morning.

Glad you got your hair sorted moll and very mse too. You're on your way!

I'm another that always takes a look in the Ikea bargain corner teedy. We had lots of bits for our Billy bookcases and fitted wardrobes from there. My other favourite buys are the velvet cushion covers for the big (50cm square) cushions. I, too, have Ikea sofas with covers. I don't think I could trust us not to have something washable. DH did suggest I should buy a spare set in case they get discontinued.

It's glorious here although chilly. We're off out with friends for lunch and we'll have a lovely drive through the forest to get to a country pub. I've decided to wear my black Zara culottes with opaques and black suede boots and then a pale pink Red Herring angora jumper. DH said I look really nice. I'll be doing my make up as well. It's been a busy week so this will be the fourth day for foundation/tinted moisturiser which I don't really bother with if I'm at home or just nipping to the shops/out for a walk. It certainly makes me feel more groomed.

Meant to say humpty that I'm glad you managed to get out for lunch earlier in the week.

Although I don't belong to the official thread I am trying to use up toiletries and make up products (mainly so I'm left with just those I really love). A shampoo was finished yesterday and I'm on the last bottle (more is coming tomorrow) and I'm almost out of toner. The ones I've been using up came 'free' with Clarins gift packs or offers. I find they make my skin feel fresh and remove any last traces of make up that cleanser's missed. Does anyone else use toner? Any recommendations?
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 17th Jan 19, 12:50 PM
    • 11,036 Posts
    • 73,573 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Your trip through the forest sounds lovely. Perfect day for it.

Well I went for a walk to the library and joined up. Very stiff and it was a struggle. She said I could have 20 books. I took 3, my plan is to visit the library little and often and encourage my walking.

After seeing Colette I decided I would give her a whirl. I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to French literature and French intellectuals. I had to read things like Camus and Sarte for university but I can't say I enjoyed them. I probably shouldn't say this but I often find French intellectuals rather pretentious. Anyway in the interests of furthering my education I picked up a couple of her short stories.

Whilst I was doing that I heard an old lady asking for novels by Colette. She is seeing the film next week and was doing some homework. She asked about the film. In view of her age - I would say around 80 - I thought it prudent to warn here there were some quite explicit sex scenes and she just winked and said "well I can close my eyes".

(Reminds of my Belgian grandmother.......when she was lying in a hospital bed recovering from a broken hip, a snooty young doctor looked at the book she was reading and said. "Madame, I really don't think you should be reading sexy books at your age". She looked him up and down and said with her typical "froideur". "Young man when you get to my age you can read exactly what you please". She was just a couple of weeks short of 90. Alas she died of surgery complications a few days later)

I had a quick look to see if there were any local "what's on" stuff. The library do a craft morning but I couldn't see any signs for a book club or choir or anything. I could of course rejoin my old ones but I would like to try and "keep it local". so I can meet new local people and become part of the neighbourhood. I'm sure I'll find something.

I also picked up a copy of Saturday Njght and Sunday morning. I have decided to reread a few "classics". I usually read Jane Austen and Laurie Lee every couple of years or so. Not overly fussed with DH Lawrence and although it's probably sacrilege to say so, I really can't be bothered ploughing through Dickens, I'd rather watch film or TV adaptations. As for the great Russian novels......well let's just say I'm glad they televised War and Peace......it saved me the bother.

My third book was about genetics.....so hopefully a nice mix.

It transpires I hadn't used a library since my husband was in the nursing home. I have read of course, I'll read anything but I have been using Amazon as my personal lending library and that has to stop. It was just too easy to go online and get books delivered to my door. Proper libraries are free and a treasure trove.

And of course if I walk there and back then it will be a win-win.

Currently sitting in my little sunny nook. It's lovely. As Maman said
    the other day even if the Beast from the East does pay us a visit it really isn't long now till Spring. The gardens are already coming back to life and it's lovely to see the days getting longer again. Yesterday's sunset was glorious.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; Yesterday at 1:11 PM.
    £72.75/make £2019 in 2019
    • teedy23
    • By teedy23 18th Jan 19, 1:10 AM
    • 2,008 Posts
    • 4,765 Thanks
    teedy23
    Thanks for your kind words lessonlearned, and yes your quite right about the electrics but oh lord the mess I'm told that's left...I'll have to decorate all through. Not well today again but I think I was a bit silly. I felt much better last night and perhaps ate too much for the good of my stomach but the real foolishness came when I had a couple of glasses of wine, only 5% alcohol so I thought it would be fine. ...not today it wasn't. same thing only worse. I really have to rest my stomach but I'm so hungry lol. It was a beautiful sunny day here too but frost everywhere and any water laying was frozen and never thawed. I'm beginning to get cabin fever stuck in here, just hoping I'm fit for my night out on Saturday, I'll still try to make the beauty appointments even if I don't feel well enough for the night out.
    Dabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 18th Jan 19, 9:02 AM
    • 11,036 Posts
    • 73,573 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Teedy sorry to hear you still arent feeling very well. Tummies can be tricky thjngs cant they. Well mine certainly can. Yesterday I was as right as rain.Woke up this morning feeling decidedly queasy. (No im not pregnant). I've no idea why, can't think what I have eaten to cause it.

Have had to cancel my acupuncture appt. hey ho, I'll just stay close to home. There's nothing spoiling. I might tackle some of the paperwork sorting. Make myself useful.

Hope you are all well, it's definitely getting colder here.
    £72.75/make £2019 in 2019
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 18th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 2,031 Posts
    • 7,468 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Hi everyone, hope you are all well. I'm still feeling distinctly unfab. My cold sore has gone but I have a big red mark where it was so am wearing concealer to hide that. I decided to colour my hair to give me a boost and for some reason it has come out too dark, don't know why it should do that I wonder if being run down affects it? Anyway it makes me look very pale and everyone thinks I am ill. I'm hoping the worst is over, physically I am feeling better but could do with a boost psychologically.

I've got some of the GC coming for the weekend so hope that will help, it is the big ones so they don't need much looking after and they are lots of fun. Here's hoping.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

716Posts Today

6,435Users online

Martin's Twitter