Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st Dec 18, 4:30 PM
    • 877Posts
    • 6,487Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge
    • 31st Dec 18, 4:30 PM
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 31st Dec 18 at 4:30 PM
    Welcome to the 2019 Fashion On The Ration Challenge. The 2018 thread was very successful and can be found here. Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, several of us are continuing our "Fashion on the Ration" challenge into 2019.

Even after last year’s challenge, I still have an overflowing wardrobe. Half of my coupons went on yarn, so rather than decreasing my yarn stash it grew considerably. My aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-
    • 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw atthe Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers
    • Leggings count as 2 coupons, the same as thermal tights.
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.
    • Hats aren’t mentioned either, so if you purchase one, let’s assume it is for 2 coupons.

I’ve already purchased a new suit for 2019, so will start the year deducting that from my total coupons: a double breasted jacket (11 coupons), skirt (7 coupons) and trousers (6 coupons). That’s 24 coupons already spent, leaving me with 42 for the rest of the year.

- Pip
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 04-01-2019 at 6:55 PM.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Page 5
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 15th Jan 19, 11:37 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    My first coupons gone...!

"...one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs. (4 coupons)"

So one pair of new knicks = 2 coupons...

64 coupons left.

I didn't need new knickers - but they were gloriously scarlet lace shorts and they were one-third price in M&S, and I shall look after them and handwash them so they last!

There is buying what you need, and choosing sensibly, and then there is a time and a place for scarlet lace knickers!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 15th Jan 19, 4:23 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 6,487 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    I spent coupons!
    Shocking ...... LOL

I went out yesterday with Mum on a very specific mission for a calender, a book and some hiking style warm socks for wearing in my wellies as my others have now worn through on the soles entirely and there's next to no fibres left.

So 2 pairs found, and 1 proving exceptionally warm so far.
    2 coupons down.
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    Warm feet are not to be sneezed at.

My first coupons gone...!

"...one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs. (4 coupons)"

So one pair of new knicks = 2 coupons...

64 coupons left.

I didn't need new knickers - but they were gloriously scarlet lace shorts and they were one-third price in M&S, and I shall look after them and handwash them so they last!

There is buying what you need, and choosing sensibly, and then there is a time and a place for scarlet lace knickers!
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Sounds like you got a great bargain. Enjoy them.

- Pip (Just because we're frugal and counting coupons doesn't mean that we have to buy boring.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• vintagegal
    • By vintagegal 16th Jan 19, 11:39 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    vintagegal
    Sounds like everyone is still spending wisely! Except me

I did an accidental spend on socks, which I added to an order for something non clothes related to get free delivery. Only afterwards did I realise what I had done.... I didn't even need them, I just wanted to save 4 on delivery.

Oh well!
    Fashion on the Ration 2019 used 6 / 66
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 16th Jan 19, 4:07 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 6,487 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Sounds like everyone is still spending wisely! Except me

I did an accidental spend on socks, which I added to an order for something non clothes related to get free delivery. Only afterwards did I realise what I had done.... I didn't even need them, I just wanted to save 4 on delivery.

Oh well!
    Originally posted by vintagegal
    I hope they're lovely, cosy socks and that you get loads of wear out of them.

FWIW, I did something similar this time last year: found Lidl's thermal leggings in the Aisle of Surprise when I popped in to buy something else, and bought them without thinking about the coupon cost or whether I needed them. I'd already bought four pairs when they were first on sale in November 2017, which is enough for a week at work. Humph!

Next time, we'll both be more mindful.

- Pip

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 16th Jan 19, 5:32 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I've unexpectedly got a whole load of time to myself in the next ten days so I'm hoping to sit down with pen and paper and really work out what I'm doing with all these clothes... am I right in keeping so many things I don't fit, or currently don't wear? Are any of them in good enough nick for modern charity shops (in ye olden dayes you might buy a good quality jumper with a tiny hole in it, or a blouse with a small mark on the collar, noted on the label, but now I think everything has to be perfect)?

I hope to find some clarity in there somewhere...!
    • Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    • By Crafty Lisa Hampshire 16th Jan 19, 7:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    I really like the idea of this challenge. I am a newbie to this forum so am looking forward to some inspiration. I have recently been more aware of waste generally and I really want to reduce my personal waste and save some money.
    • Japester19
    • By Japester19 16th Jan 19, 8:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Japester19
    Yes, I'd like a go at this: looks interesting.
    I was feeling a bit smug as I buy most of my clothes from charity shops (no coupons required, hooray!), then remembered that new jumper I got in the sales, and oh yes, that pair of slippers were new too. So that's10 down already. (Why are women's slippers more points than mens?)
    But what's this - knitting wool? Oh dear, that's another 19 gone just like that.
    29 gone, 37 points left, and it's not even February yet. Will they last even till Easter?
    • BigDreams
    • By BigDreams 16th Jan 19, 9:45 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    BigDreams
    Can I join? I had been promising myself that I would lose some weight and then I was going to make myself some clothes. Have the pattern for a beautiful tri coloured coat and I was planning to buy the necessary fabric per half stone lost as an incentive/restrict my spending on fabric as fabric shops make me go a bit mental. Looong way off from spending any coupons on fabric yet as still hoovering up all the post Christmas chocolates
    BigDreams
    • Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    • By Crafty Lisa Hampshire 17th Jan 19, 1:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    I have just got a pair of walking boots re-heeled (I was worried I would have to buy a new pair so was really pleased when the cobbler said he could do them) but I cannot see shoe repairs on the list. How many coupons should I allow for this item do you think?
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 17th Jan 19, 4:01 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 6,487 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Welcome everyone

Yes, I'd like a go at this: looks interesting.
    I was feeling a bit smug as I buy most of my clothes from charity shops (no coupons required, hooray!), then remembered that new jumper I got in the sales, and oh yes, that pair of slippers were new too. So that's10 down already. (Why are women's slippers more points than mens?)
    But what's this - knitting wool? Oh dear, that's another 19 gone just like that.
    29 gone, 37 points left, and it's not even February yet. Will they last even till Easter?
    Originally posted by Japester19
    Have you read last year's thread? I think that I had less than 40 coupons left by March. Most of it went on yarn.

Can I join? I had been promising myself that I would lose some weight and then I was going to make myself some clothes. Have the pattern for a beautiful tri coloured coat and I was planning to buy the necessary fabric per half stone lost as an incentive/restrict my spending on fabric as fabric shops make me go a bit mental. Looong way off from spending any coupons on fabric yet as still hoovering up all the post Christmas chocolates
    BigDreams
    Originally posted by BigDreams
    Sounds like a good incentive. Have you tried shopping your fabric stash before going to the fabric store? I find the lust for new yarn gets dampened a lot after I examine what I already have in stock.

I have just got a pair of walking boots re-heeled (I was worried I would have to buy a new pair so was really pleased when the cobbler said he could do them) but I cannot see shoe repairs on the list. How many coupons should I allow for this item do you think?
    Originally posted by Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    That is good news. Comfy boots are hard to come by. Shoe repairs are coupon free. I think there is something in the small print on the original leaflet that states that.

- Pip

• BigDreams
    • By BigDreams 18th Jan 19, 6:43 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    BigDreams
    Thanks PipneyJane
    Have some lovely lilac and grey checked material for trousers (looks much nicer than it sounds) but the butt needs to be a bit smaller before I start making them
    Pay off Debt by Christmas 2019 #110 0/7527
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons spent
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

692Posts Today

6,151Users online

Martin's Twitter