Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 8th Jan 19, 6:52 PM
    • 6,010Posts
    • 20,784Thanks
    missymoo81
    Missy, Roo and May Stretching out every last penny whilst drowning in Budgets, groceries & laundry!
    • 8th Jan 19, 6:52 PM
    Missy, Roo and May Stretching out every last penny whilst drowning in Budgets, groceries & laundry! 8th Jan 19 at 6:52 PM
    Hi!

I thought it was definitely time for a new adventure. I'm a 30 something mum of 2 small people 5 and 7, I work mostly from home and have a wage that doesn't match my outgoings. Lightbulb was this months rent that I had to put on my CC, which i know is a very slippery slope.

So I am going to use this to keep me motivated and most of all organised, organisation is key for me, as I end up running out of money as I spend on expensive things for convenience due to not planning ahead enough, like getting petrol from an expensive garage as i haven't got it sooner from the supermarket, or having to pop to the co op as its the closest supermarket as I haven't planned a head enough for meals and consequently pay twice as much for things.I think I'm entitled to some sort of tax credits/universal credits but I'm the worst self sabotager and get most of the way through the application and end up having to do something else and not finishing it!! I've also got lots of things to eBay which are just sitting there. I know, I know, I annoy myself!!!!

I've come from being married and having more money than sense, to being divorced and having no money, so I'm on a big learning curve!

I have a rotten cold at the moment, so not going into work but have done lots of emails and messages from home. But I have done 2 loads of washing, been to Lidl, put a stew in the slow cooker, tidied up a little, dropped some food off to OH and done yet more work.

I will write an SOA soon, but for now I'm spending as little as possible.

Achievements today since LB moment. I didn't buy a costalot coffee, I actually remembered my bags for Lidls (small steps), and i substituted beef for chicken in the stew I've put in the slow cooker which has saved me nearly £2. I also paid for my whole shop in £1 coins!

I bugeted £30 for shopping and paid £29.58, didn't get jam though as Lidl don't seem to do a basics one. I will definitely need to do at least one more shop this week. I'll probably do one on Thursday when youngest is at Rainbows. I've got chicken for stew for tonight, Fajitas for tomorrow and curry for friday, but need to get something for Thursday, maybe Chilli.... We tend to eat toast, porridge or egg sandwiches for breakfast, I struggle with healthy lunches, but children get free school meals and dinner is usually something high in protein.

Anyway now I'm rambling.....I hope you can come along on this journey with me. I love to read others diaries too as it really helps me stay motivated.

Anyway speak soon

Much love

Missy x
Page 7
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 17th Jan 19, 7:50 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 2,267 Thanks
    teafor2
    Hey teafor2, Iím trying to live on £40 a week for 4 of us. As I sat down and worked out that Iím actually in a massive deficit each month and I didnít even know, I just kept bailing myself out with the credit cards! My cards are at their limits now and I need to make everything as low as possible to try and make ends meet. I need to sort out Universal credit, so Iím trying to survive the 5 weeks until this comes through. To do that I need to make an extra £242 in that time to make ends meet, and this is based on £40 a week shopping. Hope that makes sense.
    Originally posted by missymoo81
    It does and sorry for making you re-type all that. I've read it over several posts, but seeing it all in one go makes it easier for me to retain exactly where you're up to £40 is still pretty tight especially if there's a hungry man in the house as well, but I'm sure you'll be able to do it. Not fun by any means but if there's an end in sight with UC at least that's something.

Think WB is probably right about Ebay. If you need to make £242 I'd start listing things. I don't know much about it but there's a 10 day listing isn't there which would take you nearer to pay day for most people. x
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 17th Jan 19, 8:47 PM
    • 6,010 Posts
    • 20,784 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Thanks teafor2. Wannabe is usually right about these things. I’ve just listed 3 things which I hope should raise about £20 but we’ll see.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 17th Jan 19, 9:14 PM
    • 2,637 Posts
    • 23,217 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I'm not right I just know how much I worry and would rather get it done now. I'm not very patient and would worry myself crazy (more than I already do)

If you list tomorrow for 10 days it will end on a weekend and it will the end of the month for payday for people too. It will have maximum time to gain interest too. I always find things ending on a weekend sell better
    x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.Ē

POAMAYC 19 #70 £450/£2070
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 17th Jan 19, 9:46 PM
    • 6,010 Posts
    • 20,784 Thanks
    missymoo81
    I'm not right I just know how much I worry and would rather get it done now. I'm not very patient and would worry myself crazy (more than I already do)

If you list tomorrow for 10 days it will end on a weekend and it will the end of the month for payday for people too. It will have maximum time to gain interest too. I always find things ending on a weekend sell better
    x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    I’ve started my UC claim, just working my way through. Have a bid already on one thing £6.99 so that’s good!

I’ve take antibacterial spray off my shpppng list as I had a brain wave and put some disinfectant floor cleaner watered down in it. I’m assuming it must do a similar thing?!

In answer to your earlier question wannabe yes BF will help out if needed but he bails me out so so often it’s not fair and I really want to rise to this challenge. Obv if it meant the difference between starving and eating I would, but if I can do it on my own I will!

BF has come home with marmite, more milk and DW tabs out of his own money so I will take them off my list and fill them with other things we need! Going to try my best to go shopping tomorrow as couldn’t go today.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 17th Jan 19, 9:52 PM
    • 2,637 Posts
    • 23,217 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Ahh thats nice of him and hopefully makes it a little easier. Well done on the UC claim. Don't forget to ask for the advance if you need it.

Good news on the eBay too

x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.Ē

POAMAYC 19 #70 £450/£2070
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 18th Jan 19, 5:21 AM
    • 6,010 Posts
    • 20,784 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ffs May is back being sick! Seriously! Poor girl she’s got a really high temp now too. So I guess I’m on house arrest again?!

Just going to calm myself by reading beanielou and teafor2s diaries.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

657Posts Today

5,931Users online

Martin's Twitter