Advice about ESA?

Hi, hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I'm currently in receipt of ESA, PIP, and housing benefit. I am finding my current living situation difficult and would like to move asap, but I'm concerned that doing so would count as a change in circumstances, and would mean that I had to move on to universal credit. With all I've heard about UC I'm reluctant to put myself in a position in which I have no choice but to claim it, and to have to deal with the stress that would no doubt come with that. On the other hand, though, the stress of my current situation is getting to me quite a bit as well. I wonder if someone could verify whether or not the above is true; whether I would have to move to UC if I changed my address, and what might be the best course of action in my situation.
Many Thanks

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    rvj87 wrote: »
    Hi, hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I'm currently in receipt of ESA, PIP, and housing benefit. I am finding my current living situation difficult and would like to move asap, but I'm concerned that doing so would count as a change in circumstances, and would mean that I had to move on to universal credit. With all I've heard about UC I'm reluctant to put myself in a position in which I have no choice but to claim it, and to have to deal with the stress that would no doubt come with that. On the other hand, though, the stress of my current situation is getting to me quite a bit as well. I wonder if someone could verify whether or not the above is true; whether I would have to move to UC if I changed my address, and what might be the best course of action in my situation.
    Many Thanks
    Do you receive the Severe Disability Premium in with your ESA for living alone or classed as living alone? If so, then no moving housing means you won't be able to claim UC. Take a look at this.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/10/made

If you don't receive the SDP and you move to a different local council then this will be a change of circumstances and you'll need to claim UC. If it's the same local council then you won't have to claim UC.
  • rvj87
    rvj87 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 January 2019 at 5:38PM
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if I'm in receipt of the SDP for ESA- something I'd have to double check- though I'm fairly sure I qualify. In any case, I'd planned to move to a different place within the same town. so I'm relieved to hear that moving within one area means that I won't have to take UC.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,913 Forumite
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if I'm in receipt of the SDP for ESA- something I'd have to double check- though I'm fairly sure I qualify. In any case, I'd planned to move to a different place within the same town. so I'm relieved to hear that moving within one area means that I won't have to take UC.
    If you're claiming the SDP and in the Support Group (Income Related) then you should be receiving £191.45 per week.

Criteria for SDP is you must live alone or be classed as living alone. No one claims carers allowance for looking after you and you need a daily living award of PIP to qualify.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    If you do qualify for the SDP and are not getting it contact ESA and ask them for it. It can be fully backdated for any period of eligibility. This assumes you are on an income based ESA and not just a contribution based award.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • rvj87
    rvj87 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I checked my payments in my online bank and, judging by the amount I'm getting, I seem to be in receipt of the SDP. On a related note, I heard there's going to be additional protection for people already on ESA and other legacy benefits when moved on to UC. I hope so; I don't relish the thought of having to claim it. I've heard so many horrible stories in the news about what happens to people who've been moved on to it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    I checked my payments in my online bank and, judging by the amount I'm getting, I seem to be in receipt of the SDP. On a related note, I heard there's going to be additional protection for people already on ESA and other legacy benefits when moved on to UC. I hope so; I don't relish the thought of having to claim it. I've heard so many horrible stories in the news about what happens to people who've been moved on to it.

It's still going to be quite some time before you are required to do this.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure