Unfair Gym Pricing Structure

Options
Advice please!

I have been a member at my gym for close to 10 years and built up a good base of friends and enjoy going. I haven't always thought that is was value for money but until recently there were really no other options.

Over the last few years the standards and equipment at the gym have seriously declined...

Just before Christmas a Pure gym opened very locally and charges £14.99 a month. Lots of the instructors left and about half of the members too. Why not! A new sparkly gym with new equipment! And now lots of the same instructors.

So I made a complaint as quite frankly when there was no other option, we all just paid the money but now there is another option and they are doing nothing to be competative or improve their service.

That was all fine (well not really but it is what it is) until i found out that they are calling old members and offering them the same membership that I have for £18!!!! I pay £34... I can't find this offer anywhere... surely this is unfair and breaking some kind of rule as shouldnt their pricing structure be open, fair and on offer to everyone. Paying more than someone else who goes to a different gym is my choice, but when it is someone at the same gym and nearly half the price seems crazy.

I don't want to leave, as I said, I have built up a good network of friends and half the time they are probably my biggest incentive for going, BUT over the course of the year it is quite alot more.

Any pearls of wisdom or trading guidance that could be pointed out to me would be appreciated!

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Many companies give a reduced rate to new clients as an incentive. - e.g BT won't give existing customers the reduced rate new subscribers get, pet insurance companies give a percentage discount to new clients,
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Cancel your membership and see if they offer you a discount to stay. At the end of the day, you've got to put up with it or vote with your feet and hope they don't call your bluff.
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They can charge what they want and its completely standard across all industries. I'm really surprised you haven't noticed things like your insurance, broadband, TV go up every year, yet offers for new customers are likely miles cheaper (you really need to be renegotiating these too!).

Best thing to do (as with all these) is just tell them straight, you are going to leave unless they match the price they are offering others. The worst they can say is no, but highly likely they will do you a deal.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Advice please!

I have been a member at my gym for close to 10 years and built up a good base of friends and enjoy going. I haven't always thought that is was value for money but until recently there were really no other options.

Over the last few years the standards and equipment at the gym have seriously declined...

Just before Christmas a Pure gym opened very locally and charges £14.99 a month. Lots of the instructors left and about half of the members too. Why not! A new sparkly gym with new equipment! And now lots of the same instructors.

So I made a complaint as quite frankly when there was no other option, we all just paid the money but now there is another option and they are doing nothing to be competative or improve their service.

That was all fine (well not really but it is what it is) until i found out that they are calling old members and offering them the same membership that I have for £18!!!! I pay £34... I can't find this offer anywhere... surely this is unfair and breaking some kind of rule as shouldnt their pricing structure be open, fair and on offer to everyone. Paying more than someone else who goes to a different gym is my choice, but when it is someone at the same gym and nearly half the price seems crazy.

I don't want to leave, as I said, I have built up a good network of friends and half the time they are probably my biggest incentive for going, BUT over the course of the year it is quite alot more.

Any pearls of wisdom or trading guidance that could be pointed out to me would be appreciated!
    What do your friends think?

Have you considered approaching the gym as a group and asking for the same membership deal as they've offered to previous members?
    And give them the impression that you'll all be on your bike to the new gym if that same offer isn't forthcoming.

But I would question why all of you (you and your group of friends) want to stick with a gym that has lost half of its instructors and where "the standards and equipment have seriously declined" when a "new sparkly gym with new equipment! And now lots of the same instructors" is a cheaper option.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is no legal requirement for everyone to be paying the same, unless the pricing structure is based on a protected characteristic.

Why would they offer you a cheap deal if in their eyes you’re there happily paying £34. That’s not how business works. Say you’re leaving and see if they do a better deal. They might, they might not!
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Advice please!

Literally you have no understanding of contracts or supply and demand.

They could charge you the £34 and literally give everyone else free memberships if they wanted to.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Say you’re leaving and see if they do a better deal. They might, they might not!
    And if they don't - leave. After all, many of your gym buddies are now over there anyway (I presume).
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »

They could charge you the £34 and literally give everyone else free memberships if they wanted to.

The OP just asked a question. You've said nothing that others haven't already said, and you've been rude with it.

And you literally have literally no understanding of the word 'literally'.
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »

Or indeed pay other people to be members should they so wish
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport