Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 30th Nov 18, 12:53 PM
    • 3,339Posts
    • 5,515Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Older and fitter
    • 30th Nov 18, 12:53 PM
    Older and fitter 30th Nov 18 at 12:53 PM
    I've always done 'something' to keep fit (Pilates classes, yoga, walking), but 6 months ago joined a gym that really ticks all my boxes. I go three times a week, the trainer makes sure everyone's technique is good, suggests easier versions if you're struggling, but - and this is key - encourages/insists that you move up a level if you're able to.

This is what I needed!! No-one had ever told me before that I could lift more than the small pink 'girly' weights, and no-one had ever shown me how to do a proper press-up, or stood ready to catch me when I tried my first full-height box jump.

When I first joined the gym I was fit 'for my age' but I couldn't stand up to use the exercise bike, I couldn't (daren't) do a full-height box jump, I couldn't do a burpee, my running speed was pitiful, I couldn't do a plank... I could go on.

Now - well, I can do all of the above, and more. I can do 10 burpees in a row. My warm-up jogging is the speed that I was running flat-out at 6 months ago. And I can do a proper press-up, from the toes not the knees.

Some stats - I'm female, aged 58, resting heart rate of 72, max heart rate of 186 (for my age it should be 174), height 5'8", weight 9st 5lbs, BMI about 21. I haven't lost any weight - but I didn't need to or want to. I am however fitter and stronger than I've ever been, probably since my teens.

I've posted this for two reasons - one to show anyone who is a bit older and who's thinking about getting serious about getting fit that it can be done. And secondly to see if there's anyone else out there who's already doing it, so we could give a bit of mutual support.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 09-01-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Page 7
    • cupkate
    • By cupkate 16th Jan 19, 10:19 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    cupkate
    EdSwippet-you made me laugh about your sore muscles. I know just what you mean,
    I did the body pump class. Bits of it were too difficult but I just did what I could. The pace was a bit frantic-even the regulars said so! We were all too busy watching the instructor to look at each other.
    I'll go back I think though not this weekend. Have a social engagement when the class is on. It has inspired me to try other classes though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

913Posts Today

7,202Users online

Martin's Twitter