Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 61,883Posts
    • 124,626Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 129
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Jan 19, 2:12 PM
    • 19,028 Posts
    • 113,938 Thanks
    maman
    Has anyone else noticed that the original green W5 washing up liquid at Lidl doesn't seem as good as it used to be? I've used it for years but the most recent one that I bought seems to go 'flat' and grey very quickly. May have to go back to Fairy unless some one can recommend another product from Lidl?
    Originally posted by Eenymeeny

Sorry but can't helpon Lidl but if you should pass an Aldi their Classic is GHI recommended and as good as Fairy IMO.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 12th Jan 19, 2:47 PM
    • 11,244 Posts
    • 12,053 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Either L or A platinum are very good.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Organza_Lace
    • By Organza_Lace 12th Jan 19, 3:12 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 3,642 Thanks
    Organza_Lace
    Either L or A platinum are very good.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Out of the 2 I prefer L.
    • janeyfastcarr
    • By janeyfastcarr 12th Jan 19, 4:48 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    janeyfastcarr
    A vote here for lidl Platinum. By far the best better than fairy platinum.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Jan 19, 11:11 PM
    • 27,362 Posts
    • 58,398 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Lidl baclava is really good, with residual stock still on sale after Christmas (not an item that has benefited from a price slash, though). Expensive but worth it, great to serve after a meal with coffee instead of dessert.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 13th Jan 19, 6:52 AM
    • 4,530 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    Expensive but worth it.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    It's actually very cheap compared to the real deal.
    I live in an area with lots of Baclava bakeries, and a similar amount of "fresh" stuff costs around 10.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 13th Jan 19, 9:50 AM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 6,813 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Thanks for all of your advice on the washing up liquid. I'll look out for the Lidl Platinum next time I'm in there. We do call into Aldi sometimes so will look for those too.
    Reckon I'll be using the present one much quicker than usual! (Little tip if you haven't heard of it: I decant it into a soap dispenser then squirt it onto the washing up sponge. Two squirts usually suffice but I'm using three at the moment!)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Jan 19, 11:48 AM
    • 27,362 Posts
    • 58,398 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It's actually very cheap compared to the real deal.
    I live in an area with lots of Baclava bakeries, and a similar amount of "fresh" stuff costs around 10.
    Originally posted by RainbowDrops
    Agreed, but for a mass-produced product its great. Plus for me its a luxury vs the w/w price of Western goodies, ie biscuits, cake or chocolate.

Say for arguments sake each piece is 25g, it costs about 27p per piece. That is compared to 2.25p for a chocolate oatie biscuit of 18.75g (a very affordable favourite of mine), currently 42p / 300g pack in Aldi. You can't compare the two in terms of quality of ingredients, but if its a sugar hit you're after the biscuits win hands down for me, as I discriminate preferentially on the basis of price

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 13th Jan 19, 1:17 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Could say that again please with a bit more detail this time
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Jan 19, 4:30 PM
    • 27,362 Posts
    • 58,398 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Could say that again please with a bit more detail this time
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    Sorry m'lud, just being greedy MSE.

• RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 14th Jan 19, 7:41 AM
    • 4,530 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    Loving your sugar maths!
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Jan 19, 12:15 PM
    • 19,028 Posts
    • 113,938 Thanks
    maman
    My Aldi was an absolute mess again this week.

Not sure where I should raise it? I did comment to the guy on the checkout but he seemed as exasperated as me.
    Originally posted by maman

https://customerservice.aldi.co.uk/contact

( and Select "store" in step 1 )
    Originally posted by dlusman

I followed this up and got a swift, polite response from Aldi. Pleasingly it did address what I'd written not just a standard churned out email. They apologised, of course, but also said they'd pass it on to the local store. Hopefully normal service will be resumed.

I don't think it can be a supply problem as such as plenty of e.g. cauli and broccoli in Sainsbury's but none in Aldi. The mess store has to a lack of management of staff, assuming they have enough staff in the first place.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 15th Jan 19, 9:40 AM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 6,655 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I followed this up and got a swift, polite response from Aldi. Pleasingly it did address what I'd written not just a standard churned out email. They apologised, of course, but also said they'd pass it on to the local store. Hopefully normal service will be resumed.

I don't think it can be a supply problem as such as plenty of e.g. cauli and broccoli in Sainsbury's but none in Aldi. The mess store has to a lack of management of staff, assuming they have enough staff in the first place.
    Aldi is a victim of its own success . I have two stores in my area and both are woefully small for the volumes of business they are doing. The car parks are always crammed and the staff work flat out constantly re-stacking the shelves, which are stripped again in next to no time.

I understand a new store is planned in one of the towns concerned but it's taking time, I suspect because Aldi's management is as badly stretched as are its shelf stackers.

I suppose it's a nice problem for the company to have but it can be frustrating for consumers and it must be hell on the staff.
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Jan 19, 4:57 PM
    • 19,028 Posts
    • 113,938 Thanks
    maman
    Aldi is a victim of its own success . I have two stores in my area and both are woefully small for the volumes of business they are doing. The car parks are always crammed and the staff work flat out constantly re-stacking the shelves, which are stripped again in next to no time.

I understand a new store is planned in one of the towns concerned but it's taking time, I suspect because Aldi's management is as badly stretched as are its shelf stackers.

I suppose it's a nice problem for the company to have but it can be frustrating for consumers and it must be hell on the staff.
    Originally posted by A. Badger

Yes, you're right about being a victim of its own success.

I have four stores in easy reach including one new and larger one.

What made me comment was that this particular store is always well managed and tidy. I recognise your description of staff refilling shelves flat out but since Christmas there don't seem to be so many staff there or the stock. I time my shop for just before the Friday teatime onslaught when the car park is fairly empty as parents have gone to collect offspring from school and too early for most people to have finished work. Usually, because they're expecting the weekend rush there is plenty of stock and high staffing levels.

I'll post again if anything changes.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 15th Jan 19, 6:41 PM
    • 6,815 Posts
    • 19,699 Thanks
    Doc N
    It’s a nice ‘problem’ to have, isn’t it.

They have a huge building programme underway, so it will resolve itself, and the newer larger stores are as good as any of those of their competitors.

Still infinitely better than any of the old-style overpriced supermarkets.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 16th Jan 19, 11:51 AM
    • 11,244 Posts
    • 12,053 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    As usual (for January), Aldi have special buy stock of Gullon Sugar-free Biscuits.

This year, it's 400g packs of Digestives for 89p, which I think is the cheapest I have seen them in a long while.

As a comparison, Poundland dropped to the 250g some months ago.

Also, new products at Aldi:-

- Corn Wraps (soft wraps with a distinctly yellow colour).

- Sweet Chilli flavoured wraps (similar, but with a pink hue).

Both 79p for 8.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 16-01-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th Jan 19, 6:24 PM
    • 27,362 Posts
    • 58,398 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I don't think it can be a supply problem as such as plenty of e.g. cauli and broccoli in Sainsbury's but none in Aldi.
    Same situation in my local Aldi this l/t. Tesco however had loads of fresh veg, all gleaming happily at me.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

974Posts Today

7,396Users online

Martin's Twitter