Buying a new bed

Our bed is very much on its last legs and so we are looking for a new one. Went to our local retail park and spent a few hours lying on beds at both bensons and dreams. The quotes we got were fairly similar cost wise and what we liked and were advised on in both shops was fairly similar so I am reasonably happy with what we are looking for and we were pretty much decided on one from Bensons as they had a 20% discount on whereas dreams sale was not on what we wanted.

However I was quite surprised by the number of complaints on here particularly about Bensons. So any suggestions for anywhere else to look. Debenhams don't appear to have any foot opening ottoman style bases which is what we want, and John Lewis seem to be much more expensive.

Also we liked a pocket sprung mattress with a gel top, would it actually be better to buy a pocket sprung mattress with a separate topper from a longevity point of view?
And finally - any discount codes or cashback available?

Thanks

Comments

• Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Not had any problems with Bensons. Bought first own brand bed frame from them circa 10 years ago, great customer service and still going strong. In-fact it was so good, I bought the same frame in a double 7 1/2 years ago, again perfect and even helped me to source some under bed drawers a few years ago as an addition - even though no longer produced, they found stock in another store and shipped it to me for a very, very good price. Bought a Relyon mattress with that bed, from their hotel range and it's the best we've ever had, though it was expensive. Don't know what we'll do when it goes- except go back to them for advice and replacement! They also threw in all the bedding for free. Personally can't fault them.

But if you're wary of the chains, then why not go to your local independent? John Lewis are good, but expensive - go in-store during sale time and try to pick up ex-display?

The first bed frame above, I bought a memory foam topped pocket sprung mattress for it from Dreams. It's lasted well, but boy is it horribly hot in hot weather. I'd stick to the tried and tested pocket sprung.

I hear that Vi-spring is the very best you can buy, if you can afford it. Also, can you go direct to a manufacturer?
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• Thanks for the reassurance, and in fact I think our ancient and very well worn current bed was from Bensons originally so perhaps that should reassure me!

Having said that there seem to be much cheaper deals online so I need to do more research. Argos seem to have a couple of decent prices and I can use my nectar points...... Silentnight also have some decent prices for what appear to be decent mattresses.

I am inclined to go for a pocket sprung mattress and add a topper rather than buy something fancy but I am getting so overwhelmed with choice and options!

I have however found what appears to be the same base for £200 less!!!
  • I'm looking for 2 new beds for my children, also wondering where to buy from!
  • I bought an ottoman from https://www.divanbasedirect.co.uk/ last year and it was a good experience. When I was comparison shopping, they were easily the cheapest for a comparable bed. Have tonnes of reviews on their TrustPilot, which swung it for me. There was a discount code on their homepage too, just checked back and it's still there. The delivery men were accommodating too, can not recommend enough.
    THE BIGGEST_MINT
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport