Together Energy?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 January 2019 at 12:54PM
    JuneS wrote: »
    That's not true - the energy ombudsman even have a team that monitor compliance.

I'm not sure what page 33 you are referring to , but perhaps look at post#361 above

This article, which is over 12 months old, does not appear to support your allegation either.

With respect, read Martin Lewis’ report.

https://images6.moneysavingexpert.com/images/documents/MSE-Sharper_teeth_interactive.pdf?_ga=2.263129167.258021270.1544777178-1045363169.1507724648

Ombudsmen such as the Legal Ombudsman have powers that are defined by Statute (ie; law) ; that is, in effect The Ombudsman has the same legal standing as a Judge in a Court: Decisons are therefore fully enforceable by the Ombudsman.

The Energy Ombudsman’s powers are covered by an Underpinning Statute. In effect this means that for any Decisions to be enforced either The Energy Ombudsman or the Complainant has to take the supplier to Court. Ombudsman Services is on record as saying that it has never exercised its right to enforce a Decision through the Courts: they believe that a referral to the Regulator will ensure compliance.

Page 70 of the Report also states ‘the legislation does not specifically state that suppliers MUST comply with the redress scheme’s decisions; rather that Ofgem must ensure that the scheme’s own arrangements ensure its decisions can be enforced’.

Under The Ombudsman’s Remedy Implementation Policy, supplier’s are charged an additional fees for non compliance. Moreover, after 57 days, Ombudsman Services tells the consumer that they can open a new complaint to address the failed implementation of the original remedy, or they can pursue the energy company through the Court.

What Martin Lewis and others are arguing for is an Energy Ombudsman defined by Statute; that is, one that has Statutory legal powers to enforce its own Decisions. Monitoring compliance is not the same as enforcement and, has been reported in this forum, a number of suppliers have annotated the portal to show compliance - when little or nothing has been done - and The Energy Ombudsman has closed the complaint.

PS: If you do not believe me or the Report, then this is what was reported in the Press:

Quote:

Ombudsman schemes investigate and resolve complaints against a company or a public body when deadlock is reached, and their decisions are supposed to be binding. However, over the years, numerous readers have contacted the Observer claiming it has allowed firms to ignore its own rulings.

“Consumer feedback has been very poor,” says Martin Lewis, founder of the campaign website Moneysavingexpert which is presenting a review on ombudsman schemes in parliament this week. “One of the biggest problems is that remedies are not being implemented, mainly because most ombudsman services lack the powers to enforce them.”

The “ombudsman” title is a loose term covering three tiers of dispute resolution. Statutory schemes –such as the Financial Ombudsman Service and the Legal Ombudsman – have compulsory jurisdiction over certain regulated sectors, and decisions can be enforced by a court. Those, like the Energy Ombudsman, are underpinned by statute. Its compulsory for companies within that sector to be members of a scheme but it doesn’t actually give them any more legal powers. If a company ignores their remedies, all they can do is suggest the customer takes court action or, in serious breaches, report it to the relevant regulator.

UnQuote

Source: The Observer
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,270 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hmm, did someone just press a big red button?

archived user Yesterday, 11:14 AM
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Still nothing further from Together re accounts for "movees" from One Select.:(
    Reluctant to start a move away until I have some evidence that my account is set up and acknowledges the credit carried over from OS
  • brewerdave wrote: »
    Reluctant to start a move away until I have some evidence that my account is set up and acknowledges the credit carried over from OS

It's astonishing that OFGEM consider TE competent enough to take on a block of customers from a defunct supplier when just a quick look at trustpilot tells you they can't cope with the ones they already had,
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 January 2019 at 5:05PM
    brewerdave wrote: »

Have you logged into your OneSelect account recently?

The one I am responsible for shows a bill dated 1st Jan and covers the period upto 13 December - so effectively the final OS bill/credit balance carried forward..

EDIT: Have just found an email from Together Energy dated 7 January whivh Gmail had classified as Spam. It includes:
    Your account will be fully transferred and set up with us by Tuesday 8th January 2019 meaning you can switch to another Together Energy tariff or switch to a new supplier, should you choose to do so.
    We are working on your final balances from your time at OneSelect (up to 13 December 2018) and will be issuing these throughout January. We need to check them before we send them and hence why it cannot all just be done automatically.
    If we have not sent you a final balance to 13 December 2018 by the end of January we will contact you to explain why and try to resolve any outstanding queries as quickly as possible.
    Your direct debits are currently being set up with your existing value and payment date so there is nothing for you to do.
  • masonic
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    Have you logged into your OneSelect account recently?

The one I am responsible for shows a bill dated 1st Jan and covers the period upto 13 December - so effectively the final OS bill/credit balance carried forward..

EDIT: Have just found an email from Together Energy dated 7 January whivh Gmail had classified as Spam. It includes:
    My bill was based on an estimated reading entered on their system just after the 14th. Time will tell if the actual reading I supplied will be used at all.
  • brewerdave
    masonic wrote: »
    My bill was based on an estimated reading entered on their system just after the 14th. Time will tell if the actual reading I supplied will be used at all.
    My One Select final bill was based on an estimate which didn't appear until last week EVEN THO' dated as 14th December -its ~ 200 kwh less than the actual reading I gave Together Energy back in December:(
  • I am getting utterly fed up and disheartened with the Ombudsman.

Both my complaints have been upheld, yet 16 weeks and 6 weeks respectively on they are yet to be implemented by the energy suppliers and all the Ombudsman appears to do is give them more and more time.

At least you can eat a chocolate teapot!
  • brewerdave
    Well, given up getting any new info. from Together re enforced switch from One Select - I've started a move to Yorkshire Energy for leccy -will only save £30 pa BUT in theory the tariff is fixed til end Feb 2020 vs short fix with TE.

Hopefully TE will get their act together before the switch goes ahead by setting up an account to switch away from!!

My carried forward credit from One Select has been used up so yet another supplier that I will owe money to:rotfl:
  • masonic
    Wholesale energy prices have been falling, so hopefully you've picked a fix with no exit penalties.

I'll officially be transferred on Monday/Tuesday, now I need to decide whether to allow my DD for January to be collected towards the end of the month. I'll probably let it be taken as I don't think it will push my balance into credit even after the small One Select credit is applied to my account.

From other accounts in this thread, I'd much rather owe them money than have them owe me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure