Rain cover for child on bike

Hi everyone,

I take my 4 year old to school on the back of my bike a couple of days a week. I need to buy a cover for her and her seat, quite urgently.
Does anyone have tips, recommendations, something not to buy?
Thank you!

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Would basic wet weather gear for her be better? Because a cover may be unwieldy, even assuming you can source a suitable one.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Thanks, looks good and cheap!
  • Good idea, thanks
  • shiny76
    shiny76 Posts: 548
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 January 2019 at 1:41PM
    I've been taking to nursery my kids on my bike since they were 18months. The best solution I found was an all-in-one suit. 1 lightweight for summer and a padded one for winter.

eg. https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/spright-junior-rain-suit-p14229.aspx/navy/
  • tonyf33
    tonyf33 Posts: 26 Forumite
    If it's windy then a poncho might not be a good idea, it can destabilise you if the wind catches it/them, especially if your child is high up. Also unless you have a skirt guard on the bike, it might get caught in the wheels (that one on Amazon looks pretty long) or just as bad it getting snagged on stuff as you go past that will pull your child off the bike.

And at 4 years old, don't you want them on their own bike by that point?
    My 5yo grandson can cycle 2 miles relatively easily, we cycled back from mine to his mums in the rain late last year and he just had his coat, hat and gloves on. He cycles to school everyday with his dad walking beside him as it's not too far and has been cycling to nursery before that, appreciate that it's not doable for everyone.

Hope you find a solution that works for you.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    tonyf33 wrote: »
    If it's windy then a poncho might not be a good idea, it can destabilise you if the wind catches it/them, especially if your child is high up. Also unless you have a skirt guard on the bike, it might get caught in the wheels (that one on Amazon looks pretty long) or just as bad it getting snagged on stuff as you go past that will pull your child off the bike.
    That was my thought too: I used to have a 'proper' bike cape like this, years and years and YEARS ago before cagoules were a 'thing' everyone had. The theory's good but you could be caught in a gust of wind and blown around, and even with just a little one on the back of the bike I'd think that might be a problem.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport