1% challenge 2019

Comments

• twinklie
    twinklie Posts: 5,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This is a year early for me because I want to clear my debts first. However I’m going to follow for motivation. I love the idea.
    Reduction in daily mortgage interest since October 23 - £0.31 (started new mortgage)
    % of house owned/% of mortgage paid off. December 23 - 32.30%/24.54%
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
    MF Date: Oct 37 May 37
  • Afternoon...

I've made my first OP of the year..

1% is £497

Op made £282.. or ... 0.57%

Oh well its a start!
    Fingers crossed that january is a cheaper month!
    # 36 1p challenge 2024 - £319.98

#13 POYD by Christmas 24  £1450/£8138

February Grocery Challenge  /300
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I think this challenge is a great idea - starting with a more manageable amount like 1% can really show you what difference overpayments can make in the long run!

Just wanted to add that all of you are of course also welcome to join us in the 2019 MFW challenge thread if you like. I know the figures some people there are aiming for are higher than most can afford, but there's also plenty of people aiming for overpayments between £500 and £2k, so you're definitely not alone.

Either way, all the best for 2019! :)
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We haven't got our mortgage yet, hoping to complete at the end of the month, but I've just put 1% of my 1% into a savings pot called 'Mortgage 1%'. :D

It's only £15 that I've transferred, but this month is gonna be tight. YNAB tells me that if I put £15 a month into the pot, I'll reach my £1500 goal in 99 months - I think I'll try and speed that up a bit. :p

I do have a question: lets say the mortgage kicks in and we have £100 of over payments set aside already. Are we best paying that off immediately, or doing a lump sum at the end of the 1st year? The interest is calculated daily and applied monthly so I'm guessing we're best making the over payments each time we have the funds available.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    1% for us is £1,128. I did my first overpayment in almost a year a few days ago (£1,100).

I have also upped our mortgage repayment each month by £25, so I will have 1% done at the start of February :D

I will shoot for 2%!
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    DD265 wrote: »
    lets say the mortgage kicks in and we have £100 of over payments set aside already. Are we best paying that off immediately, or doing a lump sum at the end of the 1st year? The interest is calculated daily and applied monthly so I'm guessing we're best making the over payments each time we have the funds available.

Personally I'd hang on to that £100 for a few weeks as there are always so many unforeseen expenses with a new house. Depending on how much leeway you have in your budget, these can prove difficult to absorb. Do you have an emergency fund? If not I would prioritise that over OPing.

If interested is calculated daily, I'd OP straight away. This means that savings on interest begins straight away and there is no temptation to fritter away spare money. I'm fortunate that our mortgage allows unlimited OPs and I can transfer money electronically so it is quick and easy to do. Not all providers make it that easy to OP, and you may have a cap on the sum you can OP each year. In these scenarios, you may prefer to make lump sum overpayments instead of ad hoc payments.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • £4.99 paid today... I did say I would be slow early in the year :o it rounds me down to the nearest Zero :D
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Personally I'd hang on to that £100 for a few weeks as there are always so many unforeseen expenses with a new house. Depending on how much leeway you have in your budget, these can prove difficult to absorb. Do you have an emergency fund? If not I would prioritise that over OPing.

If interested is calculated daily, I'd OP straight away. This means that savings on interest begins straight away and there is no temptation to fritter away spare money. I'm fortunate that our mortgage allows unlimited OPs and I can transfer money electronically so it is quick and easy to do. Not all providers make it that easy to OP, and you may have a cap on the sum you can OP each year. In these scenarios, you may prefer to make lump sum overpayments instead of ad hoc payments.

We do have an emergency fund, but I'm not sure whether it'll take a beating and have no idea what our bills are going to come to so like you say it's probably smartest to wait. It won't be a setback in the grand scheme of things though I know that those small amounts will quickly add up once they become regular. We also have some 0% credit cards to pay off and various savings goals, let the balancing act commence! :)

Our over payments are capped at 10% of the original mortgage capital amount (so £15k) per year. I expect it to be several years before we can consider pushing for 10% in a lump sum, but would still like to do 1% this first year.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    £15.08 paid today (interest on current account balances)

£688.92 to go
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Soon to be purchasing a property, so joining:
    1% of £180,900
    = £1,809.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories