Postgraduate loans 2016/2017 starters

Comments

• I wrote to the department of education and was told that someone of my age was less likely to pay back the loan. In my opinion this is even more outrageously discriminatory than the original age limit. This year I have been accepted for an MSc by Chester and am desperately searching for funding. I work, I love what I do and intend to continue working for as long as I am able, and the government is encouraging us all to extend our working lives so why shouldn't pepole over 60 be allowed to access courses that will enrich their knowledge, improve their efficiency and increase their job prospects. It is blatant discrimination and I see no reason why the government should be exempt from it's own discrimination laws. If anyone knows of any way in which to challenge this I would be very grateful.
  • It's only age discrimination in the same way that paying younger staff a lower minimum wage is, in that it's perfectly legal.
  • fulcanelli wrote: »
    1) I had the original 'mortgage' style loan pre-1998 and deferred it for a while but after a while I was not contacted by the loans company and it dropped off the radar. Probably about 2k is left to pay. Is this amount still payable? Or is it written off - I'm 52 and it was 25 years ago.

It would have been written off by the time you turned 50 as long as you had kept up with deferments/any payments due. However, that's not the case if you'd ever been in arrears so you may find that contacting them will open a can of worms. Someone here will know better than me if any such debt would be statute barred after all this time. Good luck!
  • It would have been written off by the time you turned 50 as long as you had kept up with deferments/any payments due. However, that's not the case if you'd ever been in arrears so you may find that contacting them will open a can of worms. Someone here will know better than me if any such debt would be statute barred after all this time. Good luck!

Student loans are never statute barred. Along with tax debt.
  • So the entry requirement for the BSc in conservation is that you already hold an MA in conservation, this equates to 3 years worth of studying for a Masters. The cost of these degrees are £10,000 per year, so £30,000 in total towards which Student Finance will lend £10,609 in total spread across the 3 years. There are no maintenance loans and Students can't claim benefits, are Masters Degrees only for the rich?
  • You need an MA to complete a BSc?

That aside you do what millionsof others do, work alongside study and save plenty before starting
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    So the entry requirement for the BSc in conservation is that you already hold an MA in conservation...

I find it hard to believe this can be true, are you sure you don't mean that the BSc is the entry requirement for the MA? That would make much more sense, and is pretty standard for any Masters course to require an undergraduate degree first. You don't say what university this is, but a random selection shows the entry requirement for the MA in Conservation Studies at York University:

A good honours degree (2:1 or first class) or an equivalent qualification from an overseas institution in Architecture, Archaeology, History, History of Art or Architectural History, or in a relevant allied discipline – we welcome a diverse range of backgrounds.

But alternatives may be possible:

Mature students or those with less conventional qualifications but with relevant work experience will be considered.

https://www.york.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-taught/courses/ma-conservation-studies/
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    A Master degree is a 1year course ( full time) after the initial BSC degree so the Maters funding is for 1 year only.
  • Hello,

My post graduate degree is being fully sponsored by my employer. I am also looking to buy a house and wish to use the post graduate student loan towards my deposit. Can I get a post graduate student loan if i am being sponsored?
    I have checked the gov website and it only states that you cannot receive student loan if the student is already receiving grants/bursaries, it does not mention anything in regards to sponsorship.

Thank you in advance,
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Hello,

My post graduate degree is being fully sponsored by my employer. I am also looking to buy a house and wish to use the post graduate student loan towards my deposit. Can I get a post graduate student loan if i am being sponsored?
    I have checked the gov website and it only states that you cannot receive student loan if the student is already receiving grants/bursaries, it does not mention anything in regards to sponsorship.

Thank you in advance,

It depends on who's sponsoring you and the type of course. I'm on an LPC at the moment and there are students there who are getting their fees paid by their firm but still get a graduate loan to cover living expenses. To be honest, a graduate loan has an interest rate of 6% (at the moment), there are far cheaper ways to get a deposit together.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback