Nice places to move to near Glasgow

Hi all,

I am originally from Glasgow but have lived in England for the last 10 years. Following a recent break-up, I've decided to move back to Scotland to be near my mum who lives in Glasgow. I'm more of a 'country' girl so don't want to live in Glasgow itself. I was wondering if you could recommend lovely areas to live within commuting distance to Glasgow? I have a car but would most often use the train. I'll be living on my own so would ideally like somewhere where I could make some new connections, and close to nature too. Any recommendations would be gratefully received!

Comments

• PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Helensburgh.
    Train straight through from Queen Street Station.
    New connections....."Hello Sailor:)"
  • MsPisces
    MsPisces Posts: 32 Forumite
    The conservation village of Carmunnock sounds perfect for your needs. It sits between Castlemilk and East Kilbride. There is easy access to city centre by regular buses in about 20 mins. It has greenery abound with Cathkin braes and fields. Also loads of different housing options from flats to mansions.I hope to live there one day!
  • Thank you both!
    I hadn't actually considered Carmunnock but it is indeed a lovely place! Thank you for the food for thought :)
  • Just bumping up for any more potential suggestions :)
  • I’ve recently moved from the southside of Glasgow to East Kilbride.

You get so much more for your money here and it’s a lot more quiet than what I’m used to!

I’m loving the EK lifestyle :cool:
  • Wow, that's good to know FitnessInstructorGuy! I always thought EK was full of neds, purely based on the shopping centre but maybe I was too quick to judge. I'm from Shawlands originally so it would certainly be easy to get to EK from there. Thank you for the recommendation!
  • Balloch area next to Loch Lomond is lovely and has direct trains in to town
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • hupik
    hupik Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I recently moved back to Scotland myself and previously lived in Shawlands as well :o

I'm now in Motherwell which surprised me as I always thought it was rough as hell but there are really nice areas in the town and the transport links are amazing!

Outside of Motherwell Hamilton near Ferniegair is decent and I know a lot of people have been moving into Strathaven.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure