Child maint payments

Hi all
New to this but it's a question been hanging over my head for years and never really found an answer.
So my OH has a son who he pays maint for at the level the online csa calculator says. We have the child 3 days a week his ex 3 days a week and my MIL actually picks him up feeds him and takes him back to ex's house just befor bed time 1 day a week due to work commitments from all.
Ontop of the basic CSA payments my OH pays half for trips, all after school clubs and our share of dinner money. We actually pay for everything up front and take her half out the maint payments the following month which has been fine for the past 4 years.
The oh ex is now asking for more saying we should be paying for school uniform not just in August but every time she buys something new. (He does buy the school jumpers, shoes and shirts each August anyway)
So I guess my question is should child maint actually cover all of those costs and the fact were paying half towards most is our option and not legally required to give her?
Thanks for any help

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So I guess my question is should child maint actually cover all of those costs and the fact were paying half towards most is our option and not legally required to give her?

Is the correct answer, but you will soon get people on this thread who believe the NRP should have an open cheque book when it comes to paying the PWC.
  • Thank you. Oh ex is under the impression it's for food, gas, elec, rent but my argument is we help pay towards him on her 3 days but also pay for him ourselves on our 3 days as well so payments should just go towards his dirext needs like his school dinners, trips, clubs ect and put a little aside each month for the school clotes in Aug. We get nothing towards bills the 3 days we care for him so just think asking for more now is taking the Nick a little.
  • unforeseen
    Pwc can spend the money on what she wants although the intention of it is to help pay toward the child.

As long as you pay what the calculators say then it is up to you what extra you wish to pay for.

Does the rate that you pay take into account the days that you have the child? If not get a recalculation.

Pwc sounds like somebody who expects the NRP to pay all the costs of the child.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Perhaps the ex needs to be reminded very gently that the support is for the child, not her.
  • Yes it is a reduced amount as care is almost split 50/50 as every school holidays are half the nights each then term time is us 3 and her 4 technically.
    She does expect us to pay a lot more than we should and already do.
    The latest one is refusing to send his school shoes on the weekends we take him back in the Monday as she's paid for them.
    I have no objections to paying for him at all we have 2 other children at home and it's just getting so petty I'm tempted to say we will give you what we have to and stop all the extras like trips and clubs. It would be such a shame as it would be the child that suffers more as she would stop sending him to any but I don't know what else can be done. The arguments can go on for days.
  • unforeseen
    Rackyrach wrote: »
    It would be such a shame as it would be the child that suffers more as she would stop sending him to any

And that, unfortunately, is the type of blackmail lever that gets used.

It is not so much that the PWC can't pay but that they won't pay because they just want to keep getting more and more money out of the NRP as a punishment. The child is caught up in the greed of the PWC.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Rackyrach wrote: »
    ...I'm tempted to say we will give you what we have to and stop all the extras like trips and clubs.

Can I suggest that anything that is said comes from your OH, not you?

It's his son, his support to pay, any decision seen to come from you may appear to be a red rag to a bull. I know you may have joint money but he has a delicate line to tread here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure