edited 12 September 2017 at 12:43PM in Energy
This is a feedback thread on energy supplier
Ecotricity

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
  • Did your switch go smoothly?
  • Have you had problems since?
  • Is it easy to contact?
The feedback comes as part of the
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Kyrae
    Kyrae Posts: 541
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Wonderful! Been with them over a year now and never had a problem. They were easy to switch to and have always given me great customer service. Customer service team seem to answer the phones quickly, no long phone menus of pressing lots of numbers, UK call centre, and the staff are very friendly. My payments were too high as I moved to a new property and wasn't sure how much energy i'd use, so I ran up a hundred pounds of credit, no problem though they were happy to send me a cheque to claim my money back, and it arrived swiftly and without problem. Would highly recommend them, way better than npower my previous supplier!!
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Ecotricity prices are pegged to the 14 different local electricity suppliers eg. EdF in London, npower in Birmingham, etc. Each time one of these suppliers changes its electricity price, Ecotricity’s electricity price in that region changes by the same percentage.

Source: http://www.energyhelpline.com/cashbackmse/fri/domesticenergy/Domestic/GetHelp?reference=fhl_priceincreases_1
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,440
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Wywth wrote: »
    Ecotricity prices are pegged to the 14 different local electricity suppliers eg. EdF in London, npower in Birmingham, etc. Each time one of these suppliers changes its electricity price, Ecotricity’s electricity price in that region changes by the same percentage.

Source: http://www.energyhelpline.com/cashbackmse/fri/domesticenergy/Domestic/GetHelp?reference=fhl_priceincreases_1
    Wywth, how do you know which company Ecotricity is linked to in your area?
  • lstar337
    Forumite
    Anyone know?
  • lstar337 wrote: »
    Anyone know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_electricity_suppliers

You can work it out from the above
  • lstar337
    Forumite
    Thanks.

So for me Ecotricity prices are linked to EDF as I am in the south west.

Does this mean that Ecotricity prices increase at the same time as EDF's?

Ecotricity are currently showing the best tariff for me, I'm considering switching, but I'm not going to do it unless they have already increased their prices.
  • lstar337 wrote: »
    Thanks.

So for me Ecotricity prices are linked to EDF as I am in the south west.

Does this mean that Ecotricity prices increase at the same time as EDF's?

Ecotricity are currently showing the best tariff for me, I'm considering switching, but I'm not going to do it unless they have already increased their prices.

Probably. Contact Ecotricity for the specifics. http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/customer-service/pay-your-bill/your-bill-explained/why-green-electricity-follows-the-price-of-brown-electricity

The above link goes into some detail, but omits When and By How Much.

Why will you not switch until prices rise? If I was on a high variable rate (SSE or BG's Standard Tariff for instance), I would be jumping ship to a low price fix ASAP!
  • lstar337
    Forumite
    Probably. Contact Ecotricity for the specifics. http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/customer-service/pay-your-bill/your-bill-explained/why-green-electricity-follows-the-price-of-brown-electricity

The above link goes into some detail, but omits When and By How Much.

Why will you not switch until prices rise? If I was on a high variable rate (SSE or BG's Standard Tariff for instance), I would be jumping ship to a low price fix ASAP!
    I'll have to go onto their variable rate as I can't fix with a PPM.

At the moment Ecotricity variable is showing a £60 saving over EDF's variable (including EDF's January price increase). But I don't want to switch and then Ecotricity announce a rise, as I may have just as well stuck with EDF.
  • Hi
    Just wanted to let people know about my switch to M&S Energy which was going smoothly and was cheaper than EDF who we had been with for a number of years.
    Going through this website to obtain the cheapest tariff was simple and we were going to receive a £30 voucher to spend in M&S. It would come just before Christmas, a treat! A nice food parcel!
    Well they sent me a postcard saying we were going to get £20 voucher as soon as possible, which I thought was wrong but hey ho it be ok! Looking forward to it, however today a month later, a letter arrives from M&S Energy apologizing for sending out the postcard it was 'an error with incorrect information and is not part of the terms and conditions of your fixed tariff! However we have enclosed a £5 voucher for any inconvenience our error has caused! "
    I telephoned today and was told the company made an error . I explained that it's not my problem, and I would like my money, as £5 is nothing, and I may not have changed supplier. I feel like I've been duped by this large corporation, dangling a carrot and then not giving it!
    After complaining I am now having £25 in credit on my electricity bill and keeping the £5 voucher. How many customers have they done this too I am wondering!
  • lstar337
    Forumite
    How many customers have they done this too I am wondering!
    You'll probably get more of a response on your own thread.

This is just a feedback thread for Ecotricity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure