Automatic renewal of Santander Regular Saver

Speculator
Speculator Posts: 2,216
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 17 October 2018 at 3:35PM in Savings & investments
sorry, Mods, delete please. Just noticed its already been mentioned in another thread.

Just received this email. Just got to make sure the 13th payment is not paid, otherwise, could end up with a few weeks with zero balance in the account.

Renewing your Regular eSaver just got easier

Many of our customers have told us they’d like to continue saving in a Regular eSaver after 12 months, without having to open another one.

So from 1st June 2018, if you pay into your Regular eSaver using a standing order from a Santander current account, we’ll automatically renew your account to a new Regular eSaver when it matures. We'll contact you around 14 days before your account is due to mature to give you the new Key Facts Document and to confirm what the new interest rate will be.

We’ll also transfer the final balance (including interest earned) to your Santander current account from which the standing order was paid, including if your current account is in joint names.

What’s more, your Regular eSaver account number won’t change so your existing standing order can carry on. If you had originally set-up your standing order for 12 months only, you can change this via Online Banking by clicking the ‘Standing Orders’ tab and selecting ‘Amend’.

If you don’t have a standing order in place when your Regular eSaver matures or if your account matures before 1st June, it will change to an Everyday Saver account, in line with the original terms of the account. Your final balance, including interest earned, will then remain in the Everyday Saver.

What you need to do

If you’re happy with this change you don’t need to do anything. However, if you prefer, you can close your Regular eSaver without additional charge within 60 days of the date of this email.

If we don’t hear from you within 60 days, we’ll assume you’ve accepted the change. After this, your account will automatically renew to a new Regular eSaver when it matures if you had a standing order set up from a Santander current account at maturity

Comments

• RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,816
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 17 October 2018 at 3:52PM
    Speculator wrote: »
    Just got to make sure the 13th payment is not paid, otherwise, could end up with a few weeks with zero balance in the account
    Are you able to explain this bit?

PS. Oh, I see, I think. The date of the 13th payment needs to be changed to the maturity date. If it is say 15 days after the usual date it will lose £200 x 3% x 15/365 = 25p.

Or is it something else?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Eight years ago I put this suggestion to most of the banks. Santander wins the tortoise race!
  • polymaff
    Forumite
    RG2015 wrote: »
    If [the monthly payment] is say 15 days after the [optimum] date it will lose £200 x 3% x 15/365 = 25p.

Twelve times that if no adjustment is made
  • RG2015
    Forumite
    polymaff wrote: »
    After the initial deposit, I always choose the 1st of the month for my monthly savers (apart from First Direct of course).
  • polymaff
    Forumite
    RG2015 wrote: »
    After the initial deposit, I always choose the 1st of the month for my monthly savers (apart from First Direct of course).

That's the adjustment :)
  • RG2015
    Forumite
    That's the adjustment :)
    Yes, but that would be the second adjustment with the OP's suggestion being the first adjustment. My point is that it is not worth making any adjustments.

If my SO was already set up for the 1st of the month I would just leave it as it was while Santander restarted the regular saver once the 12 month period had run its course.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure