Perks on an Amex card?

Hi all,

This has probably been asked before - I am a complete newbie with credit cards and I'm looking for my first one. I am buying a house in a couple years so I need to build my credit rating.

Can someone explain the basic perks of Amex cards? Apparently the points can convert into benefits? I am an avid flyer. Apparently you can get into the lounge at British Airways with a certain amount of points?

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    depending on which amex card you get you might get a lounge access pass. I think that is with the chargeable card.
    Generally Amex do one of the best cashback schemes and there is a shop smaller scheme around Xmas that can be lucrative. If it is your first card you may not get an Amex card - it would depend on what else is in your credit history

I have moved the thread to the general CC section as it wasn't a Stoozing query
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Usually perks can be Cashback or Membership Points depending on which card you do go for. Membership points can be exchanged for vouchers for air miles or pretty much anywhere, they have a huge catalogue! They say on their website that 40,000 points can usually get you return economy flights to Dubai with Virgin Atlantic, so I've always been saving up for that as a goal, whether I'll use them on flights or not is another thing. Sometimes I spend them on the odd iTunes voucher and buy some new music.

It depends on your credit history and AMEX's criteria whether they will accept you or not :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure