Best put on my big girl pants! my saving for a deposit diary

Comments

• I've actually never paid interest on my catalogue one way or another I've always made sure it's paid. 30% interest is shocking!
    June 17 £16,000 debt ~ nov 18 DEBT FREE •June 21 £16,308 debt / july 22 debt free •Original mortgage free date 01/06/2059 current mortgage free date 01/05/2046
  • Food shop went over budget a bit. Must remember to take my calculator next week.
    June 17 £16,000 debt ~ nov 18 DEBT FREE •June 21 £16,308 debt / july 22 debt free •Original mortgage free date 01/06/2059 current mortgage free date 01/05/2046
  • Swimming lessons paid. He's officially in lengths. The 60 weeks and 8 crash course lessons were totally worth it my eldest has gone from not being able to hold his head above water to swimming 20m lengths in this time. This is one investment I'll never regret. £400 (so far) well spend.
    Other than that other than fuel and a rare treat eating out the other day (£20 on fuel and £17 eating out) oh and £5 on some hairbands that will last my little girl ages we haven't spent anything else this week. And I don't plan to spend anything not budgeted for until well until we slip up. As everything going out between now and the new year has been budgeted for so it's just a case of sticking to the budget.
    I'm also owed some holiday which will be paid at the end of the year as I can't take it off so will be paid for the hours holiday instead. We have already agreed this along with any overtime from nov and Dec pay will be going straight too the savings as we don't need the money for anything. This is on top of what I'm able to save each month after all out goings. Ill update my aims post on the first of December of where we are at so it's easier to keep track
  • mumof3.12kindebt
    mumof3.12kindebt Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 February 2018 at 3:04PM
    so my goals by 31st december 2018 UPDATE

[STRIKE]catalogue paid off (£940.96p) [/STRIKE] paid off February 2018
    loan dd payments (£2549.43p)
    extra to loan (£450.57p) /
    [STRIKE]family paid (£200) [/STRIKE] november 2017
    savings goal £10,000 / £500 so far
  • payed my car insurance for the year . Third year and its the first time I haven't had to pay monthly. Have some extra outgoings next month like end of term school music fees. Nursery fees at a higher than normal amount. Will transfer what we can afford to put into savings at the beginning of the month and any extra at the end. Still on track so far with meeting my targets. Before the end of next year will keep you updated
  • Today is ds2 4th birthday due to his gdd he has no concept of it. He's just had new toys in his eyes.
    I'm thrilled though. We brought him a play house and no extras stuck to our £50 budget. Oh plus a cake for £2 from aldi that I've covered in sprinkles. Family have brought him books. A cuddly too. 2 toy cars and clothes and money so we haven't added lots of clutter into the house.
    Ds1 has decided he wants money for his birthday in January. He seems to be picking up on the value of money I'm very proud of him. He knows he gets £50 off us and has said he would rather money so if he decides he wants something for more than £50 he can put his pocket money or any money he gets off grandparents together to get it.
    He also knows he has a £50 budget for Xmas and has picked 3 gifts keeping within the £50 . I'm very proud of him he's 8yo. He knows we are saving to try and move and when he comes food shopping with me will constantly remind me if its not on the list I'm not allowed to buy it and will add everything up on the calculator as we go round and tell me how much we have left. I've always tried to explain to him that you should only buy What you can afford. If only I had told myself that the last few years I wouldn't have debt. But regarding my relationship with money compared to last year it is much improved and I'm in a much better place which is great. This year has been a whirlwind. But a good one. I no longer go to the fast food place a few times a week. I no longer go into town every week buying stuff for the sake of it. I budget better. I'm more money conscious. Last year I could be bothered to deal with the hassle of swapping insurance providers so paid more than I needed to wasting money. This year I swapped all it took was 30 minutes comparing online and a 5 miniute phone call to cancel the old policy. Okay so I've still wasted some money this year. Since September we have been alot better. And we will be continuing on our journey. I tell myself the less I waste the more I can save and the quicker we can move.

We are going out tonight for a meal for sons birthday. Shouldn't cost alot and is budgeted for.

Ds2 has gone to his Nans for an Hour to see his dad. Dd is asleep so I'm sat listening to the radio and enjoying some peace. Booked the day off as holiday today and have 4 shifts at work this week so effectively doing overtime of 14 hours this week (7 hours are today) .

Once everything is accounted and budgeted for on the first everything spare will go in savings to prevent us spending any extra and this will continue over the next year. It's the easiest and best way for us to save
  • Tonight Was lovely. Added bonus dad brought his new girlfriend along and asked what me and my partner wanted for Xmas. (he's trying to impress new girlfriend) I said we dont need anything but mentioned money towards a national trust pass.dad my brother and nan are going to club together and buy us an annual family pass. Which is awesome it means free or cheap days out. I'm so happy x he knows we are trying to save up and reduce in things that are wasteful (ie things we dont really need) and I'm so glad he's on the same page :money:
  • 1st of December Which means money shuffle day.
    All budgeted money has been transferred and all savings transferred to stop us spending it.
    250 saved for Xmas
    210 in emergency fund
    1010 saved in house fund.

Doesn't seem alot but I decided to use some savings last month to pay my car insurance in full instead of monthly so yesterday we only actually had 250 in total left in the savings .

This means I've added 1010 this month and I haven't been paid my overtime yet so still have that to add to it.

This means for our first month in starting this. (because I didn't start until this month officially) as long as we don't touch it. Which we won't. We have hit our target to try and save around 1k a month.

Tonight is a movie night at home
    Tomorrow is eBay listing and a Baking day
    Sunday is work and meds course to crack on with.
    Monday I'm going to do more decluttering and work and meds course
    Tuesday work and meds course
    Wednesday work and meds course
    Thursday decluttering meds course and work
    Friday decluttering and work

That's the week planned.
    Hoping to sell enough stuff to get £50 in my PayPal account. This time of year trying to sell and make. £50 is like trying to make £500

I'm going to book a half term off early next year and I will literally spend the week doing a clearout skip runs and selling
  • 800 in house fund Sorry . Still means we have put 1010 in savings this month. See above. Sorry can't edit the post on my phone
  • been paid so transferred my overtime
    Here's our final balances for December

Emergency fund £300
    House 5% interest account £500
    House extra account £600
    Xmas £250 (still have Xmas shopping to do)

Considering after paying my car insurance in full last month which left us with a total of £250 in savings I think we are doing quiet well. It means we have added £1400 to our savings. We also have 85 at least in our money box.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure