Did anyone bag a Mini SNES before they sold out?

Comments

• Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Those who got from the original retailers like the above few posters, how did you do so.

Because they were sold out within 24 minutes. I will repeat that, between now and when preorders went live which is over a week ago, there was only stock for 24 minutes.

The people who succeeded would for one of these reasons.

1 - They got extremely lucky they just happened to check in the very small window stock was available, I calculated the odds of that happening to be similar to getting 5 numbers on the lottery.
    2 - Was on nintendo new product announcement list, this of course means you get spam for a load of junk products as well but would allow you to know when stock went up on nintendos website.
    3 - Following the right people on twitter or other social media and may have got lucky on the spread of info.
    4 - Using an automated tool, this one a friend of mine has confessed how he managed to get one from amazon.
    5 - Word of mouth from people you know so e.g. a work colleague just orders one then tells the person next to them.

I find it hard to believe you guys just casually checked to see if could buy a snes mini online and bam there was stock. :)

Tesco without warning, put up stock last night, it survived a bit longer than others, presumably because no one was expecting it but it still barely lasted an hour.

Argos have relisted the product and for 3 days have a page syaing "orders opening soon", soon i obviously a very vague word so isnt very useful, I dont know why none of the retailers can not specify a time and date when they will start taking orders.

I seem to be the only one on here who wants a mini snes but has failed to get one from any uk retailer, but I did order one from dutch retailer 'bol'.
  • King_Nothing
    King_Nothing Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Of the 4 I ordered, 3 came from word of mouth on forums and facebook groups, last one I got an email from Nintendo saying they were available for pre-order.
  • Crazy_Jamie
    Crazy_Jamie Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    1 - They got extremely lucky they just happened to check in the very small window stock was available, I calculated the odds of that happening to be similar to getting 5 numbers on the lottery.
    2 - Was on nintendo new product announcement list, this of course means you get spam for a load of junk products as well but would allow you to know when stock went up on nintendos website.
    3 - Following the right people on twitter or other social media and may have got lucky on the spread of info.
    4 - Using an automated tool, this one a friend of mine has confessed how he managed to get one from amazon.
    5 - Word of mouth from people you know so e.g. a work colleague just orders one then tells the person next to them.
    The odds of 1 aren't the same as a lottery win. I imagine plenty of people have reserved stock by casually (albeit persistently) checking retailers. For most people though I expect it will be number 3. I managed to reserve one at Argos simply because I happened to check Facebook when a post went up about Argos, and I clicked through and ordered one probably within 5 or 10 minutes of the pre orders going live. So I was just lucky.

Though I did also put myself down for stock announcements from Nintendo, and my phone gives me an alert when I get a new email. As it happens I wasn't near my phone when I got that alert, and by the time I saw it the pre orders had all gone, but had I been near my phone I would have been able to reserve one with Nintendo.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Much cheaper to drop a tenner on a RasPi Zero W and a fiver on a controller but whatever floats your boat!

Not just that but a much wider choice of games as well, while they've chosen a great selection of games there's not very many and while I can appreciate there will be licensing issues in some cases there's many fantastic Nintendo games missing as well. I guess the fact there's such an unreal level of hype for the product means they don't really need to bother.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Those who got from the original retailers like the above few posters, how did you do so.

Because they were sold out within 24 minutes. I will repeat that, between now and when preorders went live which is over a week ago, there was only stock for 24 minutes.

I find it hard to believe you guys just casually checked to see if could buy a snes mini online and bam there was stock. :)

Tesco without warning, put up stock last night, it survived a bit longer than others, presumably because no one was expecting it but it still barely lasted an hour.

Argos have relisted the product and for 3 days have a page syaing "orders opening soon", soon i obviously a very vague word so isnt very useful, I dont know why none of the retailers can not specify a time and date when they will start taking orders.

I seem to be the only one on here who wants a mini snes but has failed to get one from any uk retailer, but I did order one from dutch retailer 'bol'.

I got one from the going to smyths website from the links in post 2 of these thread as they still had pre orders available
  • glentoran99

http://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-super-nintendo-entertainment-system-snes
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Yes that site was open in my browser for a week.

It only sends out email notifications if stock lasts for at least 7 mins, it also didnt notify on all the first retailers because at that point the product wasnt added.

So in short this site wasnt any use for the day 1 first 24 mins, and of limited use after. It did allow me to get one from game uk tho 2 days ago, so after over a week it achieved something.

So now I have one from game uk and one from the dutch retailer bol as backup.

In my opinion people ordering 3+ are as bad as the scalpers.
  • glentoran99
    Yes that site was open in my browser for a week.

It only sends out email notifications if stock lasts for at least 7 mins, it also didnt notify on all the first retailers because at that point the product wasnt added.

So in short this site wasnt any use for the day 1 first 24 mins, and of limited use after. It did allow me to get one from game uk tho 2 days ago, so after over a week it achieved something.

So now I have one from game uk and one from the dutch retailer bol as backup.

In my opinion people ordering 3+ are as bad as the scalpers.

Is that only because you have ordered two ? :-)
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Argos are now selling them, for delivery only.

SNES Classic Mini console

My fingers are crossed for you all
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Billy101
    Billy101 Posts: 48 Forumite
    My kid got this as a gift on his birthday by his aunt :P I do play it sometimes though
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure