First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    https://www.everydollar.com/

I have the same question.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have the same problem cath, although I'm not sure I want to know exactly, as there will be too many coffees and junk food takeaways for the kids :o

Do you budget for Xmas & birthdays as I find that can nibble away a lot? As for savings , we have never had savings until last year when I started doing a dd for premium bonds, (I know there are not the best way to save !) But you can cash in fairly easily if you need to , for some reason I've not touched them (plus I won £25) just a thought as you can now save a minimum of £50 pm if you pay by dd.

Anyway , hope you have a good bank holiday :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    QB_Wolf wrote: »
    I keep asking myself the same question.

Maybe I need a spending diary?
    Alchemilla wrote: »
    https://www.everydollar.com/

I have the same question.

Thanks for this Al, I did look for that app u mentioned but my I-pad is far too old to be able to download it. Is this site the equivalent?
    newgirly wrote: »
    I have the same problem cath, although I'm not sure I want to know exactly, as there will be too many coffees and junk food takeaways for the kids :o

Do you budget for Xmas & birthdays as I find that can nibble away a lot? As for savings , we have never had savings until last year when I started doing a dd for premium bonds, (I know there are not the best way to save !) But you can cash in fairly easily if you need to , for some reason I've not touched them (plus I won £25) just a thought as you can now save a minimum of £50 pm if you pay by dd.

Anyway , hope you have a good bank holiday :)

There are lots of things I don't budget for Newgirly, haircuts, dentist, swimming lessons, Christmas and birthdays , holidays and am sure there are more. At least there is scope in the surplus money for me to start directing money towards them. Have a funny feeling our nursery costs are going to get swallowed up faster than I realise. I was looking forward to new-found wealth when they came to an end!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Hello,

A spending diary is the way forward. If you note down every penny it is much easier to see where you can cut back.
    Over the years that I have been reading your diary you have improved your house and personalised it a lot. I am pleased that you have decided to improve it and stay so that you get the value from it.

All the best,

Squirrel
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Am I the only person who CBA with a spending diary? I read diaries like SFs from time to time and cannot figure out for the life of me how people can achieve xx NSDs in the course of a month! I lose track of all the tiny things that seem to eat up our money. My mentality has always been as long as we stick to our savings goals and everything is paid for, why bother? Then again, awkwardly aware that this is less than optimal way to run a household.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    For the last 18 months I have kept a spending diary. I've found it helpful to make sure I don't spend more than we have coming in, especially now our household income is lower

But I can't be doing with targeting for NSD's. I did try for a while, but it was too restrictive, and I wasn't in a situation where it was vital to reduce spending to the bone
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • HelenDaveKids
    HelenDaveKids Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I record in and out but don't budget for stuff, I kinda think it all sorts it self out but equally watch the pennies and the pounds take care of themselves. If I really want something I have it but I'm actually really strict, I sometimes even annoy myself..
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I might give it a go and encourage DH to do the same. Although he has his own monthly spends he is a bit of a fritterer.

Had a busy day yesterday as DH worked 11 hours overtime and the chldren were a handful. Did fit in planting some more seeds and the children helped so good to involve them with that. Roll on summer when we can go into the garden to pick salad for dinner. :)

No money to Tilly tidy and no money due to credit the account anytime soon that I can OP. what a hard life it is. I seriously get bored when there is no money to shuffle! :D

Still trying to work out how to fund the extension. Saving isn't really an option while we are paying off the cc, would want to avoid borrowing on the mortgage but if we want to do it surely it's better to do it sooner and enjoy the benefits.

I need to look into changing our broadband, 8ky have sent me a competitive offer but I am trying to se if I can combine it with cashback. I also need to plan cc transfers as expiring in August and want to make sure I don't leave it too late.

Rather pleased with how quickly the week is whizzing by due to the bank holiday as well!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Perhaps a spending diary for a couple of months just to see where it goes - purely for info :) I have tried them a few times but inevitably fail very quickly :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry if I've missed it ,but what sort of extension where you thinking of getting cath? We couldn't add to the mortgage to get the loft room so took out a loan which we then transfered chunks to 0% CCS afterwards. It was defiantly worth it though to reduce bedroom sharing arguments.:D.

Will it stop you shopping for a new home on right move, because it more or less cured me of that ;)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback