HELP- Natwest have taken Offset Payment

Natwest have taken two offset payments from my partners Solo account.

We had a joint account with natwest and we both have personal solo accounts, Now the joint and my Solo account where over drawn, I have spoken to them last month and explained that I had been out of work due to my daughters mental health, and that once the house was sold the money would be in the bank and over drafts cleared off.

But this morning they have taken both payments out of my partners account, and paid off both over drafts - Which has now left no money to pay our mortgage..

I know they can take money from his account to pay the joint account, but how can they take his money and pay my account? and also without any notice? They knew they circumstance we are in...
Now left us in even more trouble

Comments

• stripeyfox
    stripeyfox Posts: 474 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2018 at 4:10PM
    I have no idea whether they can or not, but that does seem very harsh, especially to do it without warning!

Found this:
    https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/debt-collection/right-of-offset.aspx

Right of offset: Can a creditor take money from my account?
    If you have debts with a bank or building society, in some exceptional cases they can use money paid into your current account to cover missed payments on other accounts. This is called the 'right of set-off'. It can also be called the 'right of offset' or 'combination of accounts'.

This means if you’re behind with payments to any loans, credit cards or overdrafts with a bank or building society, any money you pay into that bank could be at risk. To avoid any chance of this happening, we’d recommend you talk to your bank and ask if they can help.

They may offer to:

Separate any overdraft from your existing account
    Help you to reduce any overdraft at an affordable rate and in line with your other debts
    Set up a new 'clean' basic bank account for you
    Help you to continue banking with them while you repay any debts you owe them
    If your bank isn’t able to help, or you’d prefer not to stay with your current provider, we recommend setting up a new basic bank account with a provider that isn’t connected to any of your outstanding debts.

When can right of set-off be used?
    A bank can’t take money from your account without your permission unless the following conditions are all met:

The current account and the debt are both in your name. The position is a bit more complicated with joint debts and joint accounts – see below
    The current account and debt are both with the same lender. A bank can’t take money from your account for a debt with a different company
    The debt they’re taking money for is in arrears. They can’t take money by right of set-off if the debt repayments are up to date
    They’ve warned you clearly in advance that they may use right of set-off if you don’t contact them or pay back your arrears
    They’ve taken your individual circumstances into account and whether taking the money might cause you hardship
    In practice it’s very rare for banks to exercise this right. However, if your bank has used right of set-off they must contact you to explain how you can avoid it happening again in future.

If you’ve been contacted by your bank to say they may use right of set-off, this is a sign that you’re in financial difficulties and you should get advice. We can help you.

Worried about debts?
    Try Debt Remedy
    Free online debt advice in 20 mins
    Get debt help
    When can right of set-off be used with joint accounts?
    If you have a joint bank account or joint debts with another person, right of set-off isn’t always allowed.

Right of set-off can be used to transfer money:

From your sole bank account to debt in your name only
    From your sole bank account to a debt you have jointly with another person
    From your joint bank account to a joint debt, as long as the same two people are named on each
    But right of set-off can’t be used to transfer money:

From your joint account to a sole debt in your name
    From your joint account to another joint account you have with a different person
    Some banks include a clause in their terms and conditions saying that money can be transferred between any accounts under your name. This is likely to be considered an unfair term, and if a bank takes money from a joint account to pay towards your sole debt you should make a complaint.

How can I avoid right of set-off?
    If you’ve fallen behind with any of your debts, contact your bank as soon as possible. Explain to them that you’re experiencing financial difficulties and find out what help they can offer you. If your bank can’t help, consider switching your account to a new basic bank account with someone you don’t owe money to.

Even if your bank can’t help, once they know you’re experiencing financial difficulties, they should give you between four to six weeks to deal with your situation. This should give you enough time to set up a new account and arrange to have your wages or benefits paid into it.

Although it’s uncommon for banks to use right of setoff, especially if they know you’re in financial difficulty, if you live in England or Wales you could use your ‘first right of appropriation’ to prevent the bank taking your income it.

This means writing to your bank before your wages or benefits are paid in and listing or ‘earmarking’ what the money is going to be used for. However, they should always leave you with enough money to cover essential bills.

Your bank can’t use right of set-off if you’ve specified that the money has been earmarked for your essential living costs or priority bills. We have an example letter to help you do this.

What can I do if right of set-off has already been used?
    If money has already been taken you should contact your bank straight away and explain your circumstances. If you’re not left with enough money to cover your essential living costs or priority debts ask your bank to refund some or all of the money to your account. If the bank won’t do this, you can make a complaint.

Losing money through right of set-off is a warning sign that your debt problems are serious. We recommend you contact us for advice as soon as you can.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,837 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Get on the phone to them and explain you do not have enough money to pay your essential outgoings, see if you can get the money back and make an arrangement to pay with them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Agreed, you should either get on the phone or go and make a fuss in branch and complain that they have left you in severe financial difficulty - also print out, in large type, the relevant sections posted above by stripefox, several of which they appear to have conveniently overlooked.

Also, consider opening a basic account with another bank which is not part of the same group.
  • I have been on the phone since 8.30 this morning trying to sort this out, Iv have been past from pillar to post, and no one can help me.. They cant look at the accounts as they have both been closed! Finally after being on the phone for 1.5hrs and refusing to get off the phone until someone helped me, I got through to the complaint team who litrally said " We will look into it and get back to you" this will be 5days! I was fuming on the phone, and none of them wanted to know!

I told them that by doing that now means we have no money - their response was " well there is a bit of the over draft left £40" thats got to last us until next friday - Two kids to feed, fuel for school, and top up gas and electric!!

I get they can take the money for the joint account as thats in my partners name too - But how thry can take his money for MY account is beyond me!
  • D_M_E wrote: »
    Agreed, you should either get on the phone or go and make a fuss in branch and complain that they have left you in severe financial difficulty - also print out, in large type, the relevant sections posted above by stripefox, several of which they appear to have conveniently overlooked.

Also, consider opening a basic account with another bank which is not part of the same group.

I already have another account on my own with another bank - we actually wanted to keep these accounts open once the house was sold the accounts were being paid off, which they knew about anyway as i told them that.
  • I'd get down to your branch this morning and try and get someone to help you. Try and get someone on your side - acknowledge it isn't the individual's fault because gaining someone in the bank to help you is probably the best chance of getting a swift outcome.

Is there any possibility of them restoring the OD but with a plan to pay it off over a few months rather than in one hit? Were you overdrawn within your OD or beyond the OD?

Good luck
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Another vote for going to the branch and complaining there - point out the bits of stripeyfox's post that apply, and also make a written complaint about their actions and escatalate it with a complaint to the FCA https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/how-complain.

If you can, write out your complaint and hand it in in branch when you visit - be calm and polite and you will be more likely to be listened to.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your husband should be the one making a formal complaint as it's his personal account that was debited with funds to cover your overdraft. He is much more likely to get a prompt response. Why is he not dealing with it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure