Sons childcare debt being passed to father

Hi everyone my sons mother sent my son to childcare whilst I was being denied access I never had any say or even stepped in the place where he was. I only got told he was there once. Now his mother is in a debt relief order and the debt is supposedly settled within that. Now the nursery are chasing me claiming I’m liable as I’m on emergency contact details when I wasn’t aloud to see him. What do I do as I had literally nothing to do with this debt! If I took him and signed forms I would completely understand why they are chasing me.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 October 2018 at 11:15AM
    Hi,

If the debt is included in a DRO, when it completes the debt will be written off, and will no longer exist.

You cannot be chased for this debt, unless you both signed the nursery paperwork, as primary carer, the childs mother would be responsible, they are clutching at straws.

You should write and tell them you will not be paying it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Being cynical - I would write and tell them it is not your debt but I would not sign the letter. The cynical part of me thinks if they are dodgy enough to chase you for this debt, they could try and copy your signature onto a contract. It only takes a bit of work in photoshop or similar and bob's your uncle they have your signature on a contract. I could do it easily (I wouldn't.... but I could easily do it).
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Being cynical - I would write and tell them it is not your debt but I would not sign the letter. The cynical part of me thinks if they are dodgy enough to chase you for this debt, they could try and copy your signature onto a contract. It only takes a bit of work in photoshop or similar and bob's your uncle they have your signature on a contract. I could do it easily (I wouldn't.... but I could easily do it).

Very cynical but good advice!
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: talk about trying it on! tell them to go away!

I'm an emergency number on my grandson's details but no way would we be responsible to pay nursery fees.

Anyway, shouldn't it be listed on the DRO?
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • Hi thanks everyone for the reply. The debt is listed in a DRO but as they now can’t chase her they think they can chase me as I’m not in one. Me and his mother was only together for a short space of time and I do understand where the company is coming from trying to get monies owed but they also know that I have never even been in the nursery
  • They are completely chancing it that you will pay up.
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    connor123 wrote: »
    Hi thanks everyone for the reply. The debt is listed in a DRO but as they now can’t chase her they think they can chase me as I’m not in one. Me and his mother was only together for a short space of time and I do understand where the company is coming from trying to get monies owed but they also know that I have never even been in the nursery

You know what, even if you had entered the building at any point - that doesn't make you liable for the debts of another. Honestly, they are just chancing their arm. So you can do one of two things, write to them stating that you have no connection with the debt and that you are aware it is in the mother's DRO (so in effect it is written off) and as such will not be offering any form of payment. Or just ignore them.
  • They won't have his signature. The mother would have put him down as an emergency contact, I cant see how he would have signed anything that they can see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure