Car Insurance Cancellation Fee

Hi There, looking for a bit of advice.

I currently insure my 19 yo daughter as a named driver, she activates an app each time she drives, the cost is £1200 a year.

Getting a new car and looking at making her the main driver, so she can start accruing NCD. Surprisingly I can do this at a cost of about £850. Looked at cancelling the current policy, in place since June, and it says:

"If you choose to cancel the insurance policy after this initial period of cover (cooling off), you will have to
pay ‘pro-rata’ rates for the period of time you have had insurance cover. There will also be a cancellation fee of £150 payable to your insurance intermediary, sufficient to cover both theirs and
the Insurers costs."

Although in the long run, it will probably work out cheaper, wanted to know if £150, could be deemed as reasonable, as this seems extremely excessive.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :D

Comments

• Yes as you were advised of it at time of purchase and you could have chosen to insure elsewhere if you did not like that part.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What is reasonable is what you agreed when you took the policy out. i.e. if it was in their published tariff at that point, then it is reasonable.

If you thought it was excessive then the time to worry about that was before you bought it. It is too late after you bought it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks both, lesson really is read the small print, as I didn't take note at first (didn't think I'd be cancelling before the year) :-)
  • To be fair this does sound like an expensive cancellation fee. I think the average most insurers charge is around 50 quid. Still, not sure that's very helpful now.

Sorry to hear you've had a horrible experience.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Deeonehere wrote: »
    Hi There, looking for a bit of advice.

I currently insure my 19 yo daughter as a named driver, she activates an app each time she drives, the cost is £1200 a year.

Getting a new car and looking at making her the main driver, so she can start accruing NCD. Surprisingly I can do this at a cost of about £850. Looked at cancelling the current policy, in place since June, and it says:

"If you choose to cancel the insurance policy after this initial period of cover (cooling off), you will have to
    pay ‘pro-rata’ rates for the period of time you have had insurance cover. There will also be a cancellation fee of £150 payable to your insurance intermediary, sufficient to cover both theirs and
    the Insurers costs."

Although in the long run, it will probably work out cheaper, wanted to know if £150, could be deemed as reasonable, as this seems extremely excessive.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :D

The policy holder accrues the NCD not the main driver or named driver. Although some companies will offer an introductory discount, it is not a given right to earn it.

Your policy, then the NCD is yours.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure