Ground Source Heat Pumps

Comments

• lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    welda wrote: »
    Why was the thread pulled, then re-instated?
    You can see my question on the site feedback forum under the spam buttons heading and MSEAndrea kindly reinstated this discussion
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • welda
    welda Posts: 600 Forumite
    Geotherm wrote: »
    You can see my question on the site feedback forum under the spam buttons heading and MSEAndrea kindly reinstated this discussion

I was bewildered as to why post was pulled, specially as questions were beginning to open up a reasonable debate regarding GSHP, an area that has interested me for a long time!

:beer:
  • thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    Geotherm wrote: »
    Thanks Chippy. Sorry for the long delay in answering, but the thread has only just been reinstated. Do you have any info or articles about this village, as would be interesting reading.
    I monitor my pump here and have not seen any performance reduction over the last 5 years. If you take the basis that in winter, a heat pump is running circa 10 hours per day, with a flow rate on a ground loop of 11 ltrs per minute (for a 11Kw output unit) , then the recharge time is longer for the loop. At the moment, I am getting 6.0C in with 2.0c out Outside temp 2.0C and snowing today). As the heating need is reduced in say Spring, this then starts to rise and during the summer we get even higher inlet temperatures. Some people use the ground loops to slightly cool the house, as passive cooling in the Summer months, when outside temperatures are higher than the feed in temperature

Sorry Geo,

Can't remember where I read it. It was mentioned by another engineer months ago and I managed to find it on google. Just had a google and can't find the article as we speak.
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • lovesgshp
    thechippy wrote: »
    Sorry Geo,

Can't remember where I read it. It was mentioned by another engineer months ago and I managed to find it on google. Just had a google and can't find the article as we speak.
    No problem Chippy. Further to your post, I tried an experiment here, where the pump was only used for DHW, so circa 1 hr per day. I used a woodburning inset fire so we did not freeze, but that does not have any relation to the heat pump, so completely independant heating.
    The ground loops recharged temperature at a higher level, than 5 years ago in the same period, through less input, but you have to remember that they pull out more heat in the winter, on a longer operating time.
    I did ask our engineers, who solely deal in heat pumps, but I could not repeat the reply!!! The engineer that told you was a geothermal guy I presume ?
  • kje_2
    kje_2 Posts: 82 Forumite
    David Nicholson-Cole from Nottingham has a very good blog about his home which has PV, solar collectors and GSHP (two boreholes). It does have a lot of data on it as it seems to have been run as a university project as well as his own home eco project, so is more "scientific" than some of the claims bandied about. Google "chargingtheearth".
  • welda
    edited 24 January 2011 at 8:43PM
    This MSc Thesis paper may go some way to explaining loss of thermal recharge, although I reckon you will know of this possibility.

Page 37 on pdf doc.

http://www.esru.strath.ac.uk/Documents/MSc_2007/Le_Feuvre.pdf

Please note copyright, link added for perusal/[FONT=&quot]illustrative[/FONT] purposes[FONT=&quot][/FONT] only.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    This MSc Thesis paper may go some way to explaining loss of thermal recharge, although I reckon you will know of this possibility.

Page 37 on pdf doc.

Thanks,

I have only skimmed that section and we are not allowed to quote from the thesis(copyright) but it does seem to confirm that under some conditions what 'thechippy's' read has some validity for boreholes.
  • welda
    Hi,

I did notice copyright, I have edited and added info re; copyright.
  • Meatballs
    Meatballs Posts: 587 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You could quote it as part of a review or criticism on the work.
  • lovesgshp

Page 37 on pdf doc.

Please note copyright, link added for perusal/[FONT=&quot]illustrative[/FONT] purposes[FONT=&quot][/FONT] only.
    See that he is mainly talking about borehole heat loss. Here is a paper our guys wrote for a Geothermal conference related to solar recharging on compact ground collectors.
    http://www.geotherm.it/Ricerca_scientifica_geotermia_files/P.4.45_maritan.pdf
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure