IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Fine - Debt Collector Stage

Cunning_Plan
Cunning_Plan Posts: 12 Forumite
Hello all!

First off I just want to say I have read the FAQs and Newbie threads with some success and I have some knowledge on what my proceedings should be. I won't lie though reading a variety of them has confused me a little to the best path to take, as some suggest different alternatives. I hoped that if I stated my situation someone might be able to help. Apologies if this is an inconvenience to veterans of this site, I don't mean to spam the threads I just want an opinion on my situation.

Background:

The reason for the notice was partly bad luck. The keeper parked in a car park owned by Highview Parking. The way you pay for the ticket is through your phone. My brother at the time offered to pay for the ticket but when doing so accidentally out of habit, input his license plate instead of my own. This eventually led to the notice. The annoying thing is that we have paid for the ticket and the times and dates align with the notice charge.

I'm not the best with receiving letters as I get a lot of statements and spam. I miss placed the first notice charge without seeing it. I was quite late in responding and having tried appealing to PCN appeals using the suggestion on this forum regarding "Template appeal for BPA or IPC members" (sorry I'm not allowed to post links), they replied weeks later saying it was in the debt collectors hands now and they couldn't help.

The first letter from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd I ignored after reading advice here. I recently got a second letter from them. I know the debt company can't enforce debt collectors (you only have to read the wording they use on the letters to know) but I am worried about the frequency of the letters.

I wonder if it's best to write an email to them with a stern respond, as suggested in other threads or just to keep ignoring them. It seems stupid to email a debt recovery firm if all they do is recommend if their client should take court action. i would rather Highview Parking take up the matter. I'm caught as to whether me emailing the firm will just spark a process for my case or by ignoring it will just fizzle out.

Again, apologies if this has been stated and I haven't found the right thread but some advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to be that person who isn't phased by this stuff but it is causing me some worry. More so because I paid for the ticket on the day, it was just the wrong vehicle.

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Post Four of the Newbies Sticky covers DRP and all other debt collectors in their entirety,

Anything else is a waste of time and singles you-out as a mug who takes the jokers seriously.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Contacting debt collectors just gives them a reason to up their interest in you and increase their unpleasant pressure

See #4 in the newbies faq thread on your position now (the wait and see/debt collectors stage), and don't be pressurised by the frequency of their letters!
  • Cunning_Plan
    Thanks for the replies. I have gone over section 4 in that thread and that is partly where my confusion lies. From replies and threads it seems split as to ignore them or write a firm email back. I take it ignoring is the best option as of current date?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,638
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Show me where the confusion arises and I will delete any confusing links.

'Ignore debt collectors' is the clear message we want that post to give.

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Cunning_Plan
    Your post is actually spot on and very helpful. When i wrote confusion it was just me wondering if I should send a robustly response or ignore. I know your own advice was to ignore them but delving into that robust letter thread mentioned, there was a lot of argument on which route was best. Since it was from 2014 just wanted to see if anything had changed and if posting my situation made it clearer to advise.

That a side i'll go with your initial advice and ignore them so thank you.
  • Coupon-mad
    Forumite
    It might start from 2014 but all posts there are last edited by me in 2017/18!
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 5,980
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Highview will not "own the car park" contact with the land owner some times does the trick.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Forumite
    I would send a SAR* and also add wording to your letter, to ask why their paperwork never informed you of your right to subject access, which is a serious omission that fails the ICO rules on ANPR and surveillance cameras, and in turn puts them in breach of the BPA Code of Practice.

*Google it - or search the forum to read one from TODAY!
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Just to add to all the good advice ...

DRP are scam junkies, where there is a scam PPC, it is
    quickly followed on by DRP

DRP are members of the BPA so it shows the low
    quality of the BPA, allowing these vermin in

DRP=TIMEWASTERS=IGNORE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors