MSE News: Fraud alert as TSB customers see £1,000s taken from accounts

TSB customers have hit out at the bank after thousands of pounds was apparently taken from their bank accounts - and they had to spend several hours queuing on the telephone before they could report it...
Read the full story:
'Fraud alert as TSB customers see £1,000s taken from accounts'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    I've just seen on the news that one poor woman had £3500 taken from her account. She did not receive any alerts that her phone number and password had been changed. When the bank reimbursed her, it was stolen again. The mind boggles.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • I'm starting to think that 5% isn't enough for me to keep my money in there.

However, I have got an email, in the last half hour, that is official. By the sounds of it, (well, if what they say is what we should go on), it's the usual schemes of phishing email/texts, rather than TSB being compromised themselves (would they admit to that, if they had been, though?)

So, in theory, keep away from dodgy emails/texts, and you should be okay. But this is more bad PR for TSB.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    So, in theory, keep away from dodgy emails/texts, and you should be okay. But this is more bad PR for TSB.

Only because journalists and news organisations choose to spin it that way.

This is not TSB's fault, but as with so much modern journalism, why let the facts get in the way of a good story?
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Only because journalists and news organisations choose to spin it that way.

This is not TSB's fault, but as with so much modern journalism, why let the facts get in the way of a good story?

Disagree. it is TSB's fault. They made a complete mess of an IT upgrade.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Mchambers wrote: »

Which just goes to show that you know nothing and understand even less.

Any more tall tales for us today?
  • Mchambers wrote: »

Which would be completely unrelated to your typical phishing scams.
    People are more likely to fall for a scam, given TSB's recent problems. It does not mean they are responsible for that.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,235 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Which would be completely unrelated to your typical phishing scams.
    People are more likely to fall for a scam, given TSB's recent problems. It does not mean they are responsible for that.
    It depends on whether or not some of the security measures normally in place have been compromised by the continued infrastructure problems.

Either way, TSB isn't the first bank to make a balls-up and it certainly isn't the first to be exploited in a targeted fraud attack.

I'm comfortable leaving my accounts as they are. TSB is one of several banks I use and if I wake up one morning and see an account has been emptied, I can get on with my life while TSB sorts it out and refunds me.
  • mapk
    mapk Posts: 157 Forumite
    I'm starting to think that 5% isn't enough for me to keep my money in there.

However, I have got an email, in the last half hour, that is official. By the sounds of it, (well, if what they say is what we should go on), it's the usual schemes of phishing email/texts, rather than TSB being compromised themselves (would they admit to that, if they had been, though?)

I've also received email today which I'm quite confident comes from TSB, titled 'How to protect yourself from fraud'. This is despite their advice in point 6 that 'We'd never ever request that you to carry out a 'test' transaction online'. That's just sic [sic] and I'd like some er, wonga for the confusion caused by their grammatical mistake.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,235 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mapk wrote: »
    I've also received email today which I'm quite confident comes from TSB, titled 'How to protect yourself from fraud'. This is despite their advice in point 6 that 'We'd never ever request that you to carry out a 'test' transaction online'. That's just sic [sic] and I'd like some er, wonga for the confusion caused by their grammatical mistake.
    Someone must have picked up on it during the mail run, The version of point 6 I received about an hour ago is sans error.
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Yorkshire_Pud Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The frauds illustrated seem to be remote access to some people's accounts without any involvement from the account holder, no giving over of log in details, clicking on links they shouldn't etc

But the advice then given for prevention seems to pertain to account holder involvement?

Are accounts being cleaned out remotely?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure