Another one for the Blocked List

Comments

• ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    jevoudrais wrote: »
    beware recorded signed for and special delivery labels do not always adhere. i use paypal labels which print the exact address, the barcode and hide the cost. if the royal mail barcode label comes off the delivery post man and collection office do not get a signature. a savvy buyer will raise an INR. a savvy seller will raise a not delivered lost in the postal system. if you use royal mail barcode labels put a bit of sellotape on the top edge

I use eBay's own postage labels which I sellotape securely and they don't come off!
  • Gary123456790
    Gary123456790 Posts: 638 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    i had some "issues" shall we say with 0161goldstar

fortunately after ebay got involved they had a change of luck and all their parcels started arriving again...
  • jevoudrais
    jevoudrais Posts: 42 Forumite
    I use eBay's own postage labels which I sellotape securely and they don't come off!

i use paypal labels and securely clear parcel tape them on (£1 a roll wilkos)

Do ebay postage labels show the price please?
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Why is anyone bothered if the label shows the cost of postage?

I am an occasional eBay buyer (I have never sold anything) and even I realise that 'postage' costs more than the stamp - there's wrapping for instance.

Everyone can see the postage cost on the listing, and if it's too much, then don't bid and moan about it later!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Beenie wrote: »

I am an occasional eBay buyer (I have never sold anything) and even I realise that 'postage' costs more than the stamp - there's wrapping for instance.

Everyone can see the postage cost on the listing, and if it's too much, then don't bid and moan about it later!

The trouble is people do moan, often loudly and repetitively. There have been threads on here and on other forums where sellers have been nagged to refund 'over payments' as low as 10p before now.

Ebay have told buyers they are in control and all sellers are bad, they have policies in place to guide sellers towards offering 'free' postage, so buyers who may be used to not seeing a separate price at all for post and packing often react badly to their perception that they have bene 'overcharged'.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jevoudrais
    Beenie wrote: »

if you have charged say £6 for shipping to include packaging and the postage shows £4.54 you could get negatives etc. I have had requests for 15p refunds
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    jevoudrais wrote: »
    if you have charged say £6 for shipping to include packaging and the postage shows £4.54 you could get negatives etc. I have had requests for 15p refunds
    Yup. Never show pricing anywhere if you can help it.

If supermarkets had the cost price of items labelled they'd sell substantially less.

If you sell inclusive postage no one says a word. So sell £5 including postage you won't get a complaint on postage, sell £4 plus £1 postage and you will get complaints if your postage is labelled at 90p ("inflates postage costs").

I used to occasionally sell price marked products, often clearance stock from discount stores. Selling something for £3 when it was marked £2.99 was more trouble than it was worth, no matter how many pictures of the price and mentions in the description.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    RFW wrote: »
    Yup. Never show pricing anywhere if you can help it.

If supermarkets had the cost price of items labelled they'd sell substantially less.

If you sell inclusive postage no one says a word. So sell £5 including postage you won't get a complaint on postage, sell £4 plus £1 postage and you will get complaints if your postage is labelled at 90p ("inflates postage costs").

I used to occasionally sell price marked products, often clearance stock from discount stores. Selling something for £3 when it was marked £2.99 was more trouble than it was worth, no matter how many pictures of the price and mentions in the description.

When I was on Amazon I only really sold books, mainly rare or out of print ones so the cover price often bore no relation to the price I sold at. I had so many people query the fact that they paid say £15 for a book that turned up with 7/6d on the cover that I actually had a cut and paste response to them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jevoudrais
    soolin wrote: »
    When I was on Amazon I only really sold books, mainly rare or out of print ones so the cover price often bore no relation to the price I sold at. I had so many people query the fact that they paid say £15 for a book that turned up with 7/6d on the cover that I actually had a cut and paste response to them.
    The buyer who asked the question would have a whole new outlook on ebayers if they became a seller.
  • jevoudrais wrote: »
    beware recorded signed for and special delivery labels do not always adhere. i use paypal labels which print the exact address, the barcode and hide the cost. if the royal mail barcode label comes off the delivery post man and collection office do not get a signature. a savvy buyer will raise an INR. a savvy seller will raise a not delivered lost in the postal system. if you use royal mail barcode labels put a bit of sellotape on the top edge

It should say on the printed 2D barcode label what the postage is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure