Getting husband off mortgage

Hi apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area but first time here seeking advice.
Basically husband and I split 2 years ago, I moved out and rented while he stayed in the family home , kids went between us both. Last year he was in the process of buying me out then lost his job. I had to return to the house as he couldn't afford it, he moved out. I have been paying the mortgage alone since October 2018. We have 10 years left on mortgage, he wants a 50/50 split when it's paid off. Meaning I'm paying it alone for the next ten years and he gets half which I'm not happy about, caused a big argument when I mentioned it. I'm now wondering if I could remortgage to buy him out. Our lender is Halifax. I work part time and receive tax credits so my question is has anyone been in a similar position, would they refuse me due to this. I will go see a financial advisor but just throwing it out here and any advice welcome. Thanks for reading

Comments

• thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I would suggest taking legal advice as well as financial advice.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you can afford to you can do it with his agreement.

Without you are looking at tens of thousands in court costs and it might be better to sell up and move.
  • He would agree as he's in a lot of debt that his share would pay off. I'm just not sure Halifax would give me the mortgage in my own name, as I would need to extend another 10 years. He doesn't want to sell as it's the kids home, but I think I'd rather pay him off now than pay the next 10 years alone then have to split equally with him
  • Rachel83
    Rachel83 Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Post
    Use a mortgage calculator online, as far as I know banks don’t take tax credits into account on lending. Unless some have changed that, I’ve just got a new mortgage with Santander, then you have to take into account whatever the cost of paying him out is, this is usually agreed and signed during divorce.
  • There are a few who take tax credits into account as I got a mortgage in principal last year when I thought I was being bought out, can't remember who it was with now, I'm sure Halifax aren't one of them. Could we remortgage together, I pay him off then we get his name off the mortgage ? That way, everybody's happy
  • Could we remortgage together, I pay him off then we get his name off the mortgage ? That way, everybody's happy
    Only way you can get his name off the mortgage is for you to take out a mortgage in your name for the full amount owed. You already have a joint mortgage, so taking out another one doesn't seem to achieve anything except cost you some fees.

If he's not working (you said he lost his job), could he be the stay at home parent allowing you to go to work full time which would increase your mortgage potential?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • I mean take out extra borrowing on the joint mortgage (enough to pay him off) like saying its for home improvements or something and then after this he can sign the house over to me. He is working again now, but I will be looking to work full time again in the future as the kids are getting older.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Since you refer to him as your 'husband', I assume you are still married. Therefore the first thing to do is get divorced. Who owes who what in respect of the house etc can be sorted out as part of the divorce and enshrined in the consent decree.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    This would better on the mortgage board.

Can a BG move this over as there will better replies as people who know about the in's and outs of mortgages will be able to answer your questions.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Thankyou, I'd appreciate if it could be moved to the correct place, I wasn't sure where to post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure