What to do with my ex-fianc!e's ring?

In late September last year my fianc!e of a year / partner of 6.5 years and I split up. After a few weeks of me wondering if we would get back together, she offered to give me back her ring.

As I'm currently saving for a house, I was considering selling the ring at first. I figured as it cost me a small fortune, it must still have had a reasonable resale value, however looking at valuations,I was being offered 10% of what the "store value" was. Ever since, the ring has been sat on the mantelpiece gathering dust while I wonder what to do with it / wonder if she'll come back to me.

I know the second option is pretty much impossible, seeing as she has been dating someone else since she gave me back the ring, therefore I was wondering what I should do with it?

Firstly, I don't want to save it to give it to someone else down the line, that's not my aim and would never do that. However, I also don't want to sell if for peanuts as I feel that that will 'cheapen' the relationship we had.

Are there any other ideas? Do I give it back to her and let her do what she wants with the ring / money? Do I give it to charity? Have it turned in to other jewellery? Keep it forever as a reminder of what mistakes not to make going forward?

Or am I being too precious about an overpriced stone? Should I take the few hundred pounds and just be done with it? I know a lot of people would have been in a similar situation. What should I do?

My heads still all a little puzzled, with me trying to rebuild and move on, so any advice is welcome.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sell it; have a nice meal and move on
  • Sell it and use the money to treat yourself to something nice.
  • Don't do anything with it just yet, unless you desperately need the money. She was a big part of your life, and although your head knows it's over, your heart is having to play catch up. Put it at the back of a drawer, and just leave it there for a while. Then one day, you'll come across it by accident - and you'll know what to do with it.

In the meantime, make sure that your house contents insurance covers it for its retail value, just in case.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    skot4th wrote: »
    Do I give it back to her and let her do what she wants with the ring / money? Do I give it to charity?

No to both of these.
  • Sell it, treat yourself x
    With love, POSR <3
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,975 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

In the meantime, make sure that your house contents insurance covers it for its retail value, just in case.

Only if it can be covered at no extra expense otherwise this ring which cost a lot of money to buy and will achieve much less if sold, will be costing money to insure. Is that not throwing good money after bad?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Melt it into a golden spork
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'd sell it. I've been married twice and sold both.

If I had got back with either, I think we'd have had a fresh start and not sure I'd have even put the old rings back on.

I felt they tainted my house - brought me bad luck in a way. It was sad to sell the second one, but I felt it was the right decision. First one cheated on me/left me, so that was easier.

Try a local jewellers, or if you have the paperwork still then ebay. I sold on ebay and got way more than I'd have got in a local shop. Tried Hatton Garden, but most weren't interested, the rest offered peanuts. Get several quotes, don't go with one. They vary drastically.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Don't do anything with it just yet, unless you desperately need the money. She was a big part of your life, and although your head knows it's over, your heart is having to play catch up. Put it at the back of a drawer, and just leave it there for a while. Then one day, you'll come across it by accident - and you'll know what to do with it.

I wouldn't do this, the past is just that, and it isn't like you'll look back on this as a fun memory. Sell it, treat yourself and close this chapter of your life, keeping it could just keep the negative thoughts surround the relationship end in your mind - cleanse and move on.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you sell it you will get a fraction of what you paid for it. I'd keep it for next time and hopefully save yourself some dosh down the line.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure