please recommend good inventory template of info. to store with wills (uk orientated)

looking for something that's UK orientated, and runs through all the things that would be useful for my dependants in case of my incapacity.
Some of this stuff will be obvious... but I'm hoping a good template will jog by mind for things I've not thought about.
I'm normally a good googler, but I've found this task suprisingly hard.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Have you had a look on the Deaths sub-board? The sticky at the top has a lot of information to work from.

*Subscribes to thread*
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Start with the IHT400 forms and pretend you are starting from no knowledge.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    A lasting power of attorney for finance and one for health and welfare would be good as these come into play when you have lost capacity or with the financial one sooner if you wish.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Thank you to the 3 who've responded so far.

The "death's sub-board"... i never realised that was a thing!

IHT400... i took a quick look, and although useful i think it maybe a little too in-depth for me. However it has opened my mind to the fact that there are 37 IHT forms that i could look at! (which is probably more depressing than the existence of the death's sub board. (joking of course)

LPA-health / finance I'm aware of the importance. What I'm really looking for a a list of all those helpful bits of information about how my house and life is run. The sort of stuff that i know, and which others may not. E.g. who my car insurance is currently with, do i own or lease my car etc. Do i have an obscure pension from 25 years ago that's been accumulating quietly. Who my solicitor is etc. etc. particularly where the "etc." is something i haven't thought of.

I might have found what I'm looking for:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5485735
    the Age Concern "lifebook", although it maybe a little top heavy with "contact telephone numbers & addresses of local traders", and a bit light on financials.
    I may just have to pull something together myself based on research (and advice here).
  • Just literally this morning I started making notes about this but like you @on-the-coast I couldn’t quite figure out what to put in there beyond the obvious life insurance and pensions.

Next up a will:A
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    I keep all my certificates, letters etc re insurance , car purchase , pension information and bank account information in a file with copies of my will. The actual will is held by my solicitor who also holds the house deeds.
    My children know where to find it if necessary.
  • sheramber wrote: »
    I keep all my certificates, letters etc re insurance , car purchase , pension information and bank account information in a file with copies of my will. The actual will is held by my solicitor who also holds the house deeds.
    My children know where to find it if necessary.

Doing exactly this is one of my resolutions for this year. The thought of having to start into it potentially during a life threatening illness should be enough to motivate me! Though TBF I do have one plastic file box that does probably contain most of that info, the only real issue would be the amount that we do online these days!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    A lot of the IHT400 forms may not be relevant the ones that are you need to go through them if you think they are too in depth how will an administrator manage starting from nothing.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Bank account, pensions and anything financial I would leave a note of it with the will at the solicitors.

Utility bills, car / home insurance, car HP, Dr, dentist etc I would have a note of the company in a drawer and tell the executors and / or a couple of close family and friends as well as saying who the solicitors are who are holding the rest of the info as this info could change each year.

None of the above are much use without legal authority granted hence saying about the LPAs.

It's all fair and good saying I like going to X barber every 2 weeks, eating at X restaurant the first Monday of the month, shopping at X supermarket on a Thursday, gas is paid on 1st, electric on 5th, water 28th, council tax 13th etc etc but without access to your finances your wishes cannot be carried out if you do lose capacity.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 February 2019 at 9:58PM
    If you can use a Excel spreadsheet or Word Tables, set one up with the following headings across the page :

Provider
    Address
    Phone No
    Email address
    Customer No or Account No
    Misc Info (Date due,etc)

Then list in whatever order you feel is most important:

Bank, current account
    Banks (others]
    Solicitor (If Will is stored there)
    Savings account institutions
    Premium Bonds
    Pension providers
    Life insurance
    Insurers - domestic equipment
    Private Health insurer
    Car insurer
    Accountant
    Council tax office
    Gas provider
    Electricity Provider
    Water supply company
    Mobile phone provider
    Landline/broadband provider
    AA or car rescue provider
    Doctor
    Dentist
    Burglar alarm service provider
    Membership subscriptions (National Trust etc]
    Golf club /Gym membership
    Etc

There may well be others according to your lifestyle. Think of all the miscellaneous once off yearly transactions you incur as the months pass and you pay bills and add them at the end.

I store a spreadsheet with all this information in our filing cabinet along my "Death and Power of Attorney documentation. But if you start this exercise, be sure to check it over annually and update it because things can change regularly. Fixed term savings accounts can close and money can be moved to another institution. You could change motor insurers or fuel suppliers so your list will be useless to anybody who has to take charge of your affairs uless its regularly kept up to date.

Good luck! It will probably take you longer than you think to pull all this info together but once completed, keeping it updated is not a huge task
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure