PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Opinions on my house

Comments

• n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If a house has not sold after a year then the price must be looked at, what makes it worse for you is that potential buyers will see it has been for sale for over a year and will assume there is something wrong with it. I would.

A few years back I tried to buy a house from a single parent in similar circumstances, failed relationship and selling of the family home which had been listed for sale for 6 months. The selling price had not been set on what the house was worth but how much each of them needed to start again. Needless to say my offer was rejected and despite some effort on my part they would not budge. It was over 12 months before it did actually sell - for £500 more then my original offer (but less then my final). I expect they paid out more then £500 in mortgage interest over those 12 months.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    If you can afford to drop the price now, why not do so and get on with your life? You're hanging out for a buyer who, if the last 12 months are any guide, doesn't exist or can't go the distance.

The real question is actually, do you want to move house or not?

Or has a realistic sense of "value" :)
  • n217970 wrote: »
    If a house has not sold after a year then the price must be looked at, what makes it worse for you is that potential buyers will see it has been for sale for over a year and will assume there is something wrong with it. I would.
    I agree with the proviso that I think it's all relative to the velocity of the local market for similar property. If it's just really slow all round, then such is life, and I wouldn't pay much heed to time on the market.. But if there's one house that's sticking around whilst others are shifting? Warning sign.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Or has a realistic sense of "value" :)

If their sense of "value" was that realistic, then they wouldn't have offered in the first place would they?
  • cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The other house have nice wall paper, fully tiled kitchen which is very practical as it leads to garden, and prettier kitchen worktop so it's certainly more desirable for me personally, I'd be willing to pay £3k-£5K extra for the other one.

There is a possibility the other house is priced according to yours so it may be a case of who is more willing to accept a lower price. It's always a good idea to change the dressing but you need to weight out if you can afford to wait for the asking price for X month or bite the bullet and take a small loss.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not that I'm paranoid, but can you please not use a link shortener?
    It's an RM search result for £200-240k, min 4bed, DH3

Amongst the results are...
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63782857.html - period property, no floorplan
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71449445.html - detached

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70270607.html - detached bungalow, no floorplan, £5k cheaper than OP
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71062730.html - looks much more spacious across 3 floors, £15k cheaper

Now, there's always the perennial wrinkles of precise location, but from comments about the OP's area, I'm not sure that's a big issue here.

OP - if those don't confirm to you that your place is overpriced, then I'm really not sure what will.
  • AylesburyDuck
    AylesburyDuck Posts: 939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 April 2018 at 1:05PM
    I'd personally get rid of the photo showing the rock climbing (i think) and wooden benches area (possible its a public kids play area), that would put me off even coming to see it, as it could ( potentially) attract teenagers/ gangs and druggies ect. If not now but maybe further down the line.
    Get rid of that and then hope footfall increases and someone loves it enough to overlook the area that could be a negative selling point.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't like "offers over", for me that doesn't have room for discussion and getting a deal. Buyers like to get a deal. The lounge is far too small for a four bed home.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 April 2018 at 1:24PM
    Just had a look at both houses. I think they are both good, nice internal layouts and they seem a decent size. That additional reception room/playroom is a nice touch and a good sized kitchen diner.

Given a choice I would buy your house, over your competitors, because, apart from the price differential, yours is also a nice blank canvas for people to put their own stamp in.

I wouldn't worry about the competition, you might find that when people compare the two they will realise that yours is a bargain. Most people won't want to pay extra for a decorated house, they will have their own ideas. And they certainly won't want to pay an extra £10k.

Having said all that, whilst your house looks spotless, it does need a bit of life and colour. I appreciate you probably have very little money to throw at it, so suggest you start with friends and family to see what you can borrow then hit the chazzas, and the cheaper shops like Wilkinson's, B&M, Primark, Aldi, Asda and the Range. And if you have access good old IKEA.

Plants, flowers, throws, cushions, posters or cheap prints, rugs and don't forget the garden, get some cheap "colour" in there with easy fast growing annuals and a couple of cheap shrubs. The shops are full of them, you don't need to spend much but dressing the garden will help take off "the newness" off the outside.

At the moment your house looks a bit impermanent, a house rather than a home. You just need to add a few cosy touches to make it homely and inviting.

As for the price I don't know the area so can't comment but your house certainly stands up to your neighbours. I would definitely definitely go for yours.

Once you've dressed the house Get some new photos done. Not so many, and definitely ditch the one of the play park.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    If their sense of "value" was that realistic, then they wouldn't have offered in the first place would they?

They may have watched Bloomberg spluttering on about bond yields and had an "Aha" moment as they realise how much negative equity they are looking at, or just found a better/cheaper house?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure