Journey to £0 by 2020, with a few bumps along the way

Comments

• chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Overpaying even a small amount helps with repaying mortgages early. I would up that mortgage payment to £800 as I like round numbers and even £9 a month is a start. As you can afford it up it in £20 or £25 increments. Small enough that you wont miss it.

That's a great idea! I like round numbers too. Will see if I can increase the direct debit online, if not will call them

Cant wait to pay off the bloody cards, then I can start overpaying the mortgage
  • chelseablue
    Bit of a milestone today, payment went to the Sainsbury's card so the balance is now in 3 figures! £976
    So tempted to pay it off with savings as it will be one debt off the list, plus free up £40 a month that I can send to another debt

Lloyds: £2,372
    Sainsbury's £976
    Nationwide loan (for car): £5,739
  • chelseablue
    Had to pay £466 today to the company we had the lease car with, for going over the agreed mileage :(

Was going to pay it from the savings account but that's for the wedding really so just bit the bullet and did it on my debit card.
    On the plus side its done now and I didn't put it on my Barclaycard

Got an expensive weekend coming up, our son is 4 on Saturday and we're taking him to Alton Towers (mainly for the Cbeebies Land there)

We don't live near it so we're driving up Friday after work and staying in a Premier Inn (100 quid for 1 night! :eek:)

Then on Sunday partner is going on a golf day so more spends

Wedding is one month today! Booked our honeymoon this week but using savings for it. Be lucky to be left with a tenner after the wedding is all paid for :rotfl:

My Nan has very kindly given me a cheque for £500 as a wedding present, going to wait until a couple of days before the wedding before I pay it in

Pay day is next Friday, would be happy if there was £500 left on Thursday to save or send to Barclaycard
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Not long until your wedding now then. You sound like you are on top of things anyway.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • chelseablue
    Not long until your wedding now then. You sound like you are on top of things anyway.

Yes its 4 weeks on Saturday. When we booked it in February last year it seemed like there was ages to go, time certainly flies! x
  • chelseablue
    June direct debits now gone to both cards. New balances are:

Lloyds: £2,262
    Sainsbury's: £936

Car insurance for both our cars is due on 4th July. I shop around every year, cheapest I've found so far is £250 for me and £630 for partner.

He's 28 but only passed 4 years ago and drives a bmw :wall: so maybe 600 quid is good :rotfl:

I normally pay for mine in full and his is monthly at the moment (£65)
    Thinking of using savings to pay for both in full, then that would free up £65 a month off the monthly outgoings.

Also still really tempted to just pay off the Sainsbury's card now its in 3 figures, then that's another £40 a month freed up.

Just the fact its 0% that puts me off doing that
  • enthusiasticsaver
    It would save you a lot to pay your OHs insurance in full. An extra £15 per month for the privilege of paying it monthly is extortionate.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • chelseablue
    Wedding was lovely!

Now that its 'out of the way' my attention has now turned to debt busting!

I've made a decision this week, I'm going to use £500 a month paying off all the unsecured debt until its all gone. Going to start with the one with the smallest balance to keep me motivated.

So first up is Sainsburys credit card.
    Today I'm going to pay £460 off it (dd is £40 so £500 will be paid off it this month)
    That will bring the balance down to £436, which I will pay off at the end of July.

Then that'll be £40 cut from the monthly outgoings

Car insurance is due next week and I think I've decided to just go for it and pay both in full (about £800 :eek: )

But then that'll be another £65 a month we'll be better off by
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Good decision on getting rid of credit card and paying in full for insurance. The less monthly outgoings you have the better as it is often cheaper to pay upfront.

Congrats on your marriage and glad all went well.
  • chelseablue
    Good decision on getting rid of credit card and paying in full for insurance. The less monthly outgoings you have the better as it is often cheaper to pay upfront.

Congrats on your marriage and glad all went well.

Thank you!

Just paid for husbands car insurance (feels weird saying husband!)
    Was £648 :eek: so that's more of our savings gone :(

Cant wait until his is 200 quid a year like mine

So what with that and the Sainsburys card I've spent over £1,000 today just sat at work :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback