Economy Seven Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• JimBH19
    Options
    They could not organise a proverbial in a brewery. First they said the direct debi would be £75.20, then they decided from October to March it would be £131.60. They withdrew that and settled on a post price increase £104.19 per month. End of December they actual took just £12.35 by the direct debit! 8 Feb they notified price increase to uncompetitve level so I used MSE switch. They blocked the switch because their silly direct debit had caused arrears (not that they had ever asked for a payment other than the direct debit)
  • ecclebrick
    Options
    ecclebrick wrote: »
    I have been with E7E since April, and stuck with then through four price rises and the DD fiasco..
    However I thought they were still the cheapest for E7, but using The energy club comparison I discover the tariff for E7 is at least two price rises behind the REAL one.

I am sadly switching to EDF fixed for fifteen months ... Looks too good to be true, and no doubt I will have a hard job getting my £100 credit back from E7E we will see.

Come on MARTIN if you want to offer comparisons you need to keep up with all the Company's ... or at least offer a warning that they may not be up to date ..
    Ecky

As I suspected the move via MSE to EDF fixed tariff was too good to be true, it is not available to E10 customers, variable only and a lot more expensive ... never mind back to the drawing board, the Energy Club switch mechanism should prevent this waste of time ...

Ecky
  • bbinvest
    Options
    Update from my January post. They managed to correct the readings they had so I now have an accurate final bill for gas and elec to 21.12.2018, which shows a £200 credit balance.

Which they still have.

When you speak to them, they say it takes 10 - 15 working days to process a refund. Still waiting and it has now been 2 months since I moved suppliers.

I'm sure I'll get it back some day... :mad:
    bbinvest wrote: »
    Economy Seven Energy - BEWARE!

I moved to them in July, but after building up a credit balance over the summer, was unhappy to have my DDs hiked for the winter. I emailed but never got a proper response, so moved supplier. Due to my credit balance, I cancelled my DD through Santander at the end of November. I got an email from Eco7 on 4th Dec telling me I'd cancelled my DD. I emailed back to say I was moving supplier, that my switch date was 21.12.18 and that I had an adequate credit balance to cover my remaining usage.

My switch took place on 21.12.18 and my new supplier took my first month's payment on that date. Economy Seven Energy say in their FAQ that following a switch they will refund any credit balance.

Did they?

No, they re-instated my DD and took £87 from my Santander a/c on 11 Jan 2019, and have raised a bill on 10 Jan 2019 which shows actual readings and usage up to my switch date, and then estimated usage from that date to 10 Jan. Crooks!

I will be ringing them in the morning, and have emailed Santander asking for an explanation of how a DD can be collected over a month after I cancelled it, and asking for a full and immediate refund under the DD guarantee. :mad:
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Update to previous posts...

New supplier started supplying dual fuel on 2 Jan 2109. Economy 7 kept on billing me for electricity, no doubt hoping I wouldn't notice. Complained and they resubmitted the final statement. They said they were allowed to hang on to MY money for eight weeks after I left.

Surprise, surprise, still no refund after EIGHT weeks, so I complained for the umpteenth time. Now they're saying that the final bill was only produced today, and that I may have to wait until 20 March to get the money they owe me. That'll be ELEVEN WEEKS that they've been depriving me of my money.

I've complained to the Energy Ombudsman. Don't even think of switching to this company !
  • Benjimoron
    Benjimoron Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Interestingly, according to Economy Seven's web site, and their results on Uswitch, they claim to be charging 3.26p per gas unit in my area. However according to their email and my bill (which they will be changing anyway), they are charging 3.5p per gas unit. Not sure whether others are in the same boat? That's about 7.5% higher than they claim to charge, which is quite significant!!
  • Benjimoron
    Options
    Gerry1

Contact your bank and claim back any DD's they shouldn't have taken via the DD guarantee. Always make sure you owe them money rather than them having your money. Takes a bit of sorting but stops them holding your money to ransom!
  • olympusmegavolt
    olympusmegavolt Posts: 26 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2019 at 10:09AM
    Options
    The problem with owing a supplier money is that they can block your switch.

The only workaround I saw, is to estimate you leaving date so that it will coincide with the point when your credit will be at its minimum. (three weeks past the date when you inform your new supplier of your intention to move.)
    By doing that they cannot block your switch and you can inform them that you will be cancelling further DD's and any settlement will be done by debit card.
  • Benjimoron
    Options
    The problem with owing a supplier money is that they can block your switch.

The only workaround I saw, is to estimate you leaving date so that it will coincide with the point when your credit will be at its minimum. (three weeks past the date when you inform your new supplier of your intention to move.)
    By doing that they cannot block your switch and you can inform them that you will be cancelling further DD's and any settlement will be done by debit card.

To be honest, in all the switches I've done, I've never had a company even suggest they would block a switch due to not being up to date with where they believe you should have paid. I guess the point is to make sure your direct debit is low, rather than not be paying it if that makes sense. This latest switch that I have done away from E7, went through in about a week. I'll owe them money at the end which of course I will pay them when they ask for it, but in my experience it is often months before the previous supplier will calculate you a final bill, so I've never understood how a supplier would ever stop a switch if you're not up to date, as they never know until months later whether you are or not. If you've cancelled a DD or refused to pay etc then I guess it applies, just don't do those things!!
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Benjimoron wrote: »
    To be honest, in all the switches I've done, I've never had a company even suggest they would block a switch due to not being up to date with where they believe you should have paid. I guess the point is to make sure your direct debit is low, rather than not be paying it if that makes sense. This latest switch that I have done away from E7, went through in about a week. I'll owe them money at the end which of course I will pay them when they ask for it, but in my experience it is often months before the previous supplier will calculate you a final bill, so I've never understood how a supplier would ever stop a switch if you're not up to date, as they never know until months later whether you are or not. If you've cancelled a DD or refused to pay etc then I guess it applies, just don't do those things!!

From what I have seen it’s small companies with a cash flow problem that attempt to block a switch even when only small amounts are owed e.g. Iresa. It’s pretty clear from their actions that they are in a death spiral, desperate & about to go bust.
  • Benjimoron
    Options
    nigelbb wrote: »
    From what I have seen it’s small companies with a cash flow problem that attempt to block a switch even when only small amounts are owed e.g. Iresa. It’s pretty clear from their actions that they are in a death spiral, desperate & about to go bust.

Most likely yes.

However, I was with Iresa and left around 14 months ago. I left without problem, no suggestion of blocking me leaving. They then, a few months later (as above), sent me a final bill saying I owed them hundreds. The meter readings were wrong on their bill and I told them I wasn't paying until they were corrected. I never worked it out but assumed that I probably owed them something and would do a final check once they'd corrected the bill. Months went on and eventually I spoke with them rather than the useless email conversation, the lady informed me that they actually owed me a couple of hundred and would refund. 2 days later I saw the news story that they had gone bust, I checked the bank, the money arrived that day!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback