What to do with my ex-fianc!e's ring?

2»

Comments

• need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 February 2019 at 1:46PM
    Local jewellers of the independent variety is probably the best way forward especially if the ring has any supporting paperwork.

If you do want to keep it you could think about having it remodelled and pass it to a family member,maybe a godchild/neice or someone who whilst isn't emotionally attached to the ring may well appreciate it in the future.
    By remodelled I mean a different style ring,maybe a necklace if it has a good size for a single stone or if there are 2 stones of similar size a pair of earings...so it can take on a whole new meaning.

theres always a punt on ebay they do sell there but its very dependant on whether you get a couple of bidders who want to push up the price.

Locally you could try gumtree or even a facebook group.

You'll be unlikely to get the full value back but to maximise its potential I would opt for the independent jeweller,they often take rings on a commission basis especially if they have existing preloved jewellery for sale...if you can find a jeweller who is more of an independent craftsman then they may be able to offer on whats based in the gold or band price and the stones separately

If it was a significant purchase then you could also think about an auction house,but commission can be quite steep up to 20% and it would only appeal in a jewellery sale which are periodic.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Ebay,...........,.,.......
    If I ruled the world.......
  • bap98189 wrote: »
    I'd keep it for next time and hopefully save yourself some dosh down the line.

What, and expect the next lady to be happy with another woman's engagement ring? :eek: And yes, she would find out, either inadvertently (a family member might let it slip accidentally) or when asking for the receipt for insurance purposes. I'm a practical woman but I would not be happy with a ring previously given to and returned by my fiance's first attempt... (Secondhand rings from a shop or a family ring would be fine, of course.)

OP, move on, sell it and treat yourself. She is not coming back.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I echo Trailing Spouse's recommendations. Put it away in a drawer and for the time being forget about it. Your memories are still, too raw more for it to be staring you in the face every every day from the mantelpiece.

It,s probaby also too painful for you to want to have to deal with it at the moment. Just park it away out of sight. I suspect in reality, unless it was an exceptional jewel, it will neither lose or gain much value as a second hand item.

Maybe regard it as an item of potentially emergency money if the need arises. If a serious new person comes into your life the ring will lose much of its current significance and you'll then be able to dispose of it with an easier mind.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You could take it to a pawn shop, get the loan and make no attempt to pay it off. See what they’ll offer you on it compared to a sale.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sell it, head to Amsterdam and blow the cash in the most inappropriate way you can think of.
  • Chyna-s
    Chyna-s Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Just sell it.
    Thank you all who post.
  • I sold mine to buy some sports kit my kids needed. I got more happiness seeing them having fun than I ever did wearing it. So sell it and do something that will bring you joy which could be something you want/need or helping someone else.
  • Sell it. Enjoy the cash xx
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure