Reckless spending and BRO

2»

Comments

• PaulL2
    PaulL2 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Credit or debt?

Is there a difference?

The OR will perhaps look more closely at new loans, use of credit card etc (both = debt) in the last 2 years, but in my case pretty much all of it started in the year or two before bankruptcy - new consolidation loans, credit card used up until bankruptcy for food, petrol etc - and they didn't have a problem with anything.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    PaulL2 wrote: »
    Is there a difference?

The OR will perhaps look more closely at new loans, use of credit card etc (both = debt) in the last 2 years, but in my case pretty much all of it started in the year or two before bankruptcy - new consolidation loans, credit card used up until bankruptcy for food, petrol etc - and they didn't have a problem with anything.

Thanks, I wasn't sure whether it was just relating to recent applications. I haven't applied for any credit in over two years but I have existing cards which I've been using, only now they're almost maxed out and I've had to reduce repayments to minimum only on each of them. I can't see any other way out to avoid bankruptcy :o
  • PaulL2
    PaulL2 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Thanks, I wasn't sure whether it was just relating to recent applications. I haven't applied for any credit in over two years but I have existing cards which I've been using, only now they're almost maxed out and I've had to reduce repayments to minimum only on each of them. I can't see any other way out to avoid bankruptcy :o

I can't see any problem there, then. Even if you had applied for extra credit recently, and used it or not, if it was to make ends meet (i.e. household stuff, petrol, food etc) then they won't throw the book at you as this is what credit is for!

In an effort to reduce my debts, I consolidated two loans into one a few weeks before bankruptcy. It meant a different bank suffered a rather expensive default and seemed a bit unfair, but hey ho! OR never mentioned it.

It's only when you go taking out credit to pay for extravagant things which you will clearly never pay back, or gambling, when they take umbrage. Not if you're simply trying to keep the boat afloat.
  • Justdoit18
    Justdoit18 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't want to panic you, but in my experience you may end up with a BRO. I've just got my letter through. The situation was similar to yours. But the OR totted up my debt level and pinpointed the exact month where we could no longer pay the credit bills. She said I should have known I was insolvent a full 18 months before I declared bankruptcy (the fact that I didn't realise wasn't accepted). I stopped applying for credit and using credit cards a year before going BR, but because I'd accumulated debt before that she saw it as reckless spending. My husband is the same although it was with the same OR, so maybe you'll get lucky.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This thread hasn't had any contributions since July, so presumably the issue is resolved by now
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family