PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Are we being unreasonable?

Comments

• bobwilson
    bobwilson Posts: 595 Forumite
    dunroving wrote: »
    I know that estate agents often get a bad rap but in my recent experience it's the estate agent who has been chasing things like a dog with a bone.

bad "rep" not "rap". They get a bad reputation because of their behaviour, not stigma.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Give it a rest, pal and stop trying to derail the thread. It's an idiom, not an attempt at Shakespeare.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • bobwilson
    bobwilson Posts: 595 Forumite
    dunroving wrote: »
    Give it a rest, pal and stop trying to derail the thread. It's an idiom, not an attempt at Shakespeare.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me. Accusing someone of derailing a thread and talking about idioms and shakespeare is quite ironic. All I was saying was estate agents are one of the few demographics who are the true cause of their own reputation; this is partly why the government wants to take action to change the house buying process.

Are you an estate agent from manchester per chance? I'm just curious. I appreciate it may not have been your intention, but the word "pal" isn't something everybody finds appropriate between strangers (unless you're best friends, which is different). It's considered by many to be an offensive over-familiarity, even if it wasn't intended as such.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 May 2018 at 9:27AM
    bobwilson wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're talking to me. Accusing someone of derailing a thread and talking about idioms and shakespeare is quite ironic. All I was saying was estate agents are one of the few demographics who are the true cause of their own reputation; this is partly why the government wants to take action to change the house buying process.

No, you werent, you were correcting their English. Which sometimes needs to be done and perhaps should be done more often in these forums , but in this case was somewhat OTT and done in a heavy handed way.

IMNSHO of course
    :D

Edit: to pile on the irony, if you do some research is seems that "bad rap" is (a) perfectly valid and (b) an older phrase than "bad rep" which may even be derived from it, LOL.
  • Obviously you aren't!!

You've already changed things to accommodate their request and did so even despite that leaving a very short gap between Exchange and Completion.

The least they can do is reciprocate the favour and do what you want now - 50/50 power-sharing.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I don't think anyone's being 'unreasonable' as such, more 'naive'.

I say on here time and time again - the only thing that causes stress with buying/selling is deadlines. Often unnecessary ones.

You should never book anything until after you have exchanged. It is just an aimed for date, it is not set in stone. There are loads of things that can still delay it. Everything should be booked or held provisionally, not confirmed.

And just because you've thought all was okay, doesn't mean the rest of the chain did. I remember speaking with my vendor a couple of months in who said something about completing on X date and exchanging by I think the end of the week. I went back to her and said it was literally the first I'd heard of it and I didn't know who'd told her that, and that there was no way in hell we'd be exchanging that week. Our buyers still had loads to do and ended up commissioning a report and survey before that (I seem to remember) and I'm pretty sure it was around when my OH and I were going on holiday (which we'd booked over a year before and had told everyone about from the beginning). It's all a blur now lol. It was about another 4 or so weeks after I think.

It is happening, it will happen, but it might not if you keep pushing too hard. You don't want your vendor throwing their toys out the pram and re-marketing or taking it off for a year before trying again!

It's a very stressful time - try not to add to it. As suggested above, try and have two weeks between the two. If exchange is a few days late (as is often the case), it won't matter.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    To be somewhat fair to your vendor, you don't know if they themselves are also being messed around by their vendor, so they're merely passing the delay down the chain.

Anyway, what's reasonable, and unreasonable, is utterly subjective. There are no objective rules, only what the parties agree between themselves.

Furthermore, from a negotiating position, don't issue threats or ultimatums you aren't willing to follow through on in the event things don't pan out in the way you want them to, or the other side calls your bluff.
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OP, where are you living now?

Would it help to remember that you aren't obliged to move on completion day? Say you complete on 1 June but can't get annual leave until 14 June, that's fine, you own the property from 1 June but don't actually pack your things and move in until two weeks later. In the meantime you have the keys, can visit, run around naked in it if you like in celebration of owning your first property, but no need to take time off to do anything else.

Downside: you'll draw down your mortgage and start paying from completion day so that'll be two weeks before you move in, but on the other hand you'll pay it off two weeks earlier in 25 years' time...

Upside: plenty of time for a thorough cleaning, repaint or whatever before you start moving furniture in.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    OP, where are you living now?

Would it help to remember that you aren't obliged to move on completion day? Say you complete on 1 June but can't get annual leave until 14 June, that's fine, you own the property from 1 June but don't actually pack your things and move in until two weeks later. In the meantime you have the keys, can visit, run around naked in it if you like in celebration of owning your first property, but no need to take time off to do anything else.

Downside: you'll draw down your mortgage and start paying from completion day so that'll be two weeks before you move in, but on the other hand you'll pay it off two weeks earlier in 25 years' time...

Upside: plenty of time for a thorough cleaning, repaint or whatever before you start moving furniture in.

+1

That's exactly what I'm doing. Except the running around naked bit.

I think most people can't do it financially (I'm getting a moderate interest-free bridging loan from a relative so that I didn't have to cash in S&S ISA holdings). Can't tell you the extra peace of mind it's given me.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    I dont understand why being new to the forum is a reason to bear with you.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure