2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi everyone. I haven't posted much on MSE this year so far but I need to get back into it as my finances are slowly heading down the slippery overspending slope:eek:

My heating bill for the winter months has been more than usual, although the -9 temperatures may have something to do with it so I phoned company yesterday and am now on a cheaper tariff. I have a log burner so I need to start using that more too and start looking for free kindling from fallen twigs and branches.

OH an I have both been ill for what feels like months. We had the flu that was doing the rounds and now have had colds for the last 3 weeks. This isn't helping me cooking from scratch and more convenience food an takeaways have been used, which is very unlike us (well apart for the takeaways at the weekend). We also don't have much of an appetite at the moment so not eating well either. Yesterday OH made some soup so that will be today's dinner along with some HM bread. I will make a pudding for us to go along with it. Given our low appetite I will probably just make another soup to do us for Sunday and Monday as at least it is both cheap to make and healthier than junk food.

My main aim for the coming week is to try an get back to better health so lots of veg and fruit. Will take a look at the Aldi super six and Lidl offers this weekend too. Despite how I am feeling I am also determined to have a walk today just to get out in the fresh air which I believe will do us good too.
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • £25 win on premium bonds this month, yay!! Forgot to put in January roundup, £125 win on premium bonds, £3 M&S voucher and £2.72 in coins picked up in the street. All good!
    Fed up with all this rain though; slightly envious of those who have snow but that's because it's a novelty here just north of the Isle of Wight!
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • Tanya12345
    Tanya12345 Posts: 116
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 February 2018 at 5:01PM
    Afternoon Fruggies, thanks Evuka will try and get figures up in a mo. Got my cash out for this month and am carrying on with noting every penny spent , am also considering noting money saved to make sure I keep track of all positives ! Can understand the satisfaction of stretching food as far as possible !! I am scavenging round all my cupboards, freezers, garden and local hedgerows. Last month I managed to get 32.50 scooped into my emergency pot, would love to improve on that this month ! Menu plans will be done this afternoon - weather turned yuck, so indoor jobs being tackled. Stay warm folks x
    Ps tried to edit signature but can't seem to get it to display... Will keep trying
    Journey on the Frugal Wagon to Self Reliance.
    Making money work for me, not the other way round
  • Pay day finally arrived, and I was thrilled to see on the budgeting spreadsheet that I had managed to save nearly £300 from last month wage, this was despite an unexpected payment as was caught speeding and have had to pay for a speed awareness course.

Fingers crossed no nasty surprises this month and I can do even better!
  • spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Been shopping today at Asda - didnt need much as, thanks to the mutant chicken which fed us all ast week I already had two portions of chicken breasts, two packs of nice sausages and the bargain 10p king prawns from last weeks shop! I've also discovered the delights of wombling and had £4.47 of asda vouchers to use.

I thought I'd try using one of those self scanners so I could keep track of my budget as I went along - well, what a palaver it turned out to be!

Did my shopping and had £5.50 change which I decided to load onto a christmas savings card however as I hit "pay" the whole system crashed :mad: so after much faffing I ended up having to go through a normal till (although they did give me £3 off my shopping for the inconvenience) unfortunately when I tried to load the christmas savings card again it was blocked (was losing my patience by this point) after a long wait at customer services and more faffing they managed to remove the block. It turned out the first lot of £5.50 had been credited to the card even though the system crashed before I'd paid. They couldnt manage to take it off so let me keep it as a goodwill gesture :rotfl:

So after all of the discounts, wombles and wonderous technology malfunctions I ended up £12.97 up on the deal and my shopping cost me £51.53 plus i STILL have the originsl £5.50 I was going to put on the christmas savings card - result!!:j:j:j

I also bought some desperately needed clothes for the twins in the sale (8 tops and 4 trousers for £17) and some singing Disney Anna and Elsa Dolls reduced from £80 to £25 which I'll put away for my little girls birthday. None of those cost me anything as I used an Asda gift card my mum gave me at christmas.

Not bad for a days work.
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • Wow Spudsmum what a fantastic days frugalling ! Sometimes all the stars line up......
    Just ordered seed pots n got a free P& P deal - saving £4.95 !! Whoop whoop
    Hoping for a nsd tomorrow x
    Journey on the Frugal Wagon to Self Reliance.
    Making money work for me, not the other way round
  • Pipsmum
    Pipsmum Posts: 20 Forumite
    Hi everyone, sorry I've not posted in a while. My sister died very suddenly, and it has turned my world upside down. Her funeral was yesterday. Just trying to come to terms with everything at the moment.

I've been reading everyone's posts, and it has been good to hear you are all doing so well, and has also helped to remind me to focus on needs not wants. I haven't totalled up my spends for a couple of weeks, but I've got all the receipts in one place ready.

I've also had the date for my back surgery, so I want to make sure that I do some batch cooking over the next few weeks, so that there is plenty of easy meals in the freezer for when I come home. I suspect that standing cooking for any length of time may be a bit difficult for a few weeks, so making sure there are some healthy, homemade meals, will save energy and pennies.

Wish you all a lovely frugal Sunday.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I’m so sorry to hear your sad news pips Mum, hope you’re ok x
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Pipsmum I am so sorry t hear that. Totally understandable that your world has been tured upside down. Sending hugs xx
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,423
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    So sorry to hear that Pipsmum :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing