Everything is possible if you try!

Comments

• This week has gone by so quickly! Payday has arrived, so I'm squirreling money away into different pots, hopefully this will help. I'm a little short at the moment as child benefit didn't come through for September, but they're going to sort that out ASAP.
    Today will be meal planning and doing the weekly shop. It's a friends wedding do this evening, which I promised ages ago I would attend. If I time it right I can just bus about rather than taxi this evening.
    House really needs a good tidy and clean. Some of the hints and tips I read about keeping things clean (or the cleaning ninjas 8 minute tidy) seem great for somewhere which is not far off to start with. Its just sooooo dull!
    #Frugal February : NSDs Target =16
    Started here on 07 September 2017: Total:[STRIKE] £20,521[/STRIKE] £19847
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]350[/STRIKE] £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
  • I love payday now, as I feel like I accomplish something when I move money from various pots and clear some debt.
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Just got uptodate on your diary , sounds like all going ok. I do all my cleaning in one go usually Saturday but it takes ages as I have loads of breaks ! Having the radio on helps me as well .
  • I usually have podcasts or an audiobook or something for cleaning/tidying. I do like the end result it's just such an effort to maintain!
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,200
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Friday's my day for cleaning and tidying as a rule but I do try to do the 15 minute bursts and S&S kitchen & bathroom through the week too. It's funny - but having the fancy new Kitchen is making me FAR more likely to keep it clean and tidy though! :D (Although in fairness to me that is partly as it's so much easier to keep clean than the old one was!)
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Hee hee I like your thinking EH. When we moved into our current house a few years back I had oh such good intentions of keeping it tidy.... I was so woefully wrong about that!
    Had a quick once over on the living room, and the kitchen is clean. Will try and do a quick swish over the bathroom later (assuming I can still function after work). I really need to get Kitty to wipe round after her showers, she has such long hair and it seems to get *everywhere*.

In other news, one of the felines didn't eat for 2 days, so took her to the vets. Got away with needing to collect a urine sample they can test which will indicate whether she needs blood tests, rather than going straight for the £120 old-cat tests! Still £30 consultation (which thanks to previous overpayment of British Gas was not too much of a problem). Apparently she should now be having a diet of the cat food pouches and oily fish and cut down on the biscuits as she may be having difficulty with them now she's old (she's 16).

I've signed up for Austerity October, and worked out my monthly budget.
    Did a meal plan, just came out £3 over budget, which while not perfect is much better than the amount I was spending. I will be trying to get this even lower though.

I'm feeling like progress is slow, so please all keep popping in so that I don't drop off the wagon!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Hello T&K have our got a recipe for your honey roast veg risotto ? Sounds right up my street. Would love to make it soon.
  • I can't see your progress is slow at all.

I think you may have seen my comment about having an entertainment budget as a bit of a criticism but it really wasn't. When I am stressed/in pain etc I forget huge chunks of my spending and it took a while to get a good exact budget because I'd forget about my three monthly prepay prescription, as an example.

I am a great believer in a few planned treats help a budget to stay achievable. I am building my treats/self care list to remind myself of little things that help me. A cup of tea is definitely at the top of the list.

Today I found a photographer's website
    http://www.chrisorange.com/Landscapes

which reminded me how beautiful the world can be, after the horrendous event in LasVegas

Take care of you both
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • Hi Cumbria lass! Honey roast veg risotto is lovely, and not too onerous :)

Ingredients (to make approx. 4 portions depending on appetite):
    500g carrots
    500g parsnip
    300g risotto rice
    grated parmesan (~40g)
    olive oil
    1 tbsp honey
    1 onion
    1 litre veg stock however you prefer to make it

Method:
    - Preheat oven to 200C / Gas 7
    - Peel and cut carrots and parsnips into approx 4 cm lengths.
    Mix 1 tablespoon honey with one tablespoon olive oil, and toss the carrot/parsnip with the honey/olive
    oil mix.
    -Spread the coated veg on baking trays, lightly season and roast for 20-30 minutes until golden.

While the carrot/parsnip is cooking:
    - Heat 1 tbsp oil in deep pan (optional - add a couple of sprigs rosemary for extra flavour if you like it)
    - Add finely chopped onion & fry until soft
    - Add 300g risotto rice, stir until coated in oil.
    - Gradually add stock into rice in portions, letting rice absorb each portion before adding the next.

Once stock is absorbed, add the roasted carrot/parsnip, fresh rosemary (chopped) and grated parmesan and stir.

Also works well with sweet potato and or squash added/substituted for the carrot & parsnip.

Hope you enjoy if you try it!
  • Hi Pauline
    Thankyou for your reassurance. I've been trying to be objective about things, rather than taking any comments to heart in a personal manner (I know I overanalyse things, so I've been trying to make an effort not to take any advice people have given on hear as personal criticisms).
    I have allowed myself some "treat" money on the basis that it's probably better that I acknowledge that and budget for it, than try and be overly strict then feel really guilty that I've spent money I shouldn't have.
    My impression that progress is slow probably comes from not being able to see instant results. I know this will take a while. I'm mostly probably a little harsh with past-me for present-me being in this situation. I'm in the fortunate position of earning a good salary and there's a bit of present me being resentful that I can't actually enjoy the fruits of my labour due to living beyond my means and letting everything creep up for so long.
    Happy at least that I am dealing with it now, and if I stick at it, then it won't be forever!

Tea is definitely something I'll not be giving up. Having a variety of teas in the house keeps me happy.
    I've been reading around the debt and mental health stuff, and this is one of the things which is definitely impacting on me. As an aspect of self-care I'm thinking of getting back to yoga, it certainly has helped in the past.

Those landscape galleries are stunning, thankyou for sharing :) A couple of friends and I are thinking of going to see the new exhibition at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park when it opens (it's not too far from here, and shared car and parking costs makes a cheap day out). Scenery there is pretty good, plus there's all the art work too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure